Samsung appeals final judgment in first Apple v. Samsung California trial, drops asserted SEPs from

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
As expected, Samsung appealed a California district court's final judgment of the original Apple vs. Samsung patent trial, and a day later dropped declared standard-essential patents from a second upcoming case slated to begin at the end of March.

Galaxy Nexus

Samsung last Thursday filed a notice of appeal with the federal circuit less than one day after the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California handed down its final judgment of the 2012's Apple vs. Samsung patent trial.

The Korean company is appealing presiding Judge Lucy Koh's ruling that awarded Apple $929 million as a result of Samsung's infringement of multiple patents.

As noted by FOSS Patent's Florian Mueller, the 2012 Apple vs. Samsung jury trial that originally awarded Apple $1.05 billion, is now ripe for appeal after the conclusion of a November retrial over vacated damages due to juror error and a December appeal from Apple over a denied injunction against 23 Samsung devices.

Apple ultimately won $290 million from the November action, while Judge Koh recently denied the renewed motion for a sales ban of 23 Samsung products. The Cupertino, Calif., company may appeal the injunction decision again if it finds reasonable grounds to do so.

On Monday, Judge Koh ordered a $95.6 million bond be released to Apple as an end to the initial preliminary injunction motion.

Second Apple vs. Samsung California trial

As for the second Apple vs. Samsung California trial, Samsung recently entered a stipulation dismissing three asserted standard-essential patent claims against Apple, paring the company's case down to two claims from two patents.

In the joint filing, Apple also withdraws its claims and counterclaims pertaining to Samsung's now-dropped SEP claims. Apple still has five claims from five patents to assert against Samsung when the second trial begins on Mar. 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [quote] and a day later dropped declared standard-essential patents from a second upcoming case [/quote]
    "No, we really didn't meant to file this. It was a paperwork error.
    Please don't hold it against us."
  • Reply 2 of 41
    ruddyruddy Posts: 94member
    Apple vs. California?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Sometimes I wonder if courtrooms have a revolving door. Jury comes back, verdict's given, then everyone walks out and right back in again for the next appeal.

• Reply 4 of 41

Are we all watching this comic?  Judge Lucy Koh presiding. 

• Reply 5 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My iPad was updated and received new features and improvements today.

My iPhone was updated and received new features and improvements today.

Who the f*ck is Samsung today?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Watch how the haters try to spin this. The EU investigates Samsung over SEP's. Shortly afterwards Samsung drops SEP injunction requests in 5 European countries. The FTC already said they were "continuing to monitor" Samsung and their use of SEP's after the veto. Now Samsung drops SEP's from this case.

Is there anyone who thinks the FTC's prior announcement wasn't the reason they were dropped thus time?

Forgot to add. I agree with the outcome in the first case with the exception of the wilful infringement part. I don't agree with Koh when Samsung said they didn't think the patents were valid and so weren't infringing wilfully. Seems to me anyone can use this "excuse" in the future and this sets a dangerous precedent.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Eric,

I was kinda of looking forward forward to the SEP and FRAND counterclaims to be argued in court. That stuff needs to get settled once and for all. The Moto/MS was a good start.

Of course Samsung withdrew the SEPs, like they did in the EU. It would be silly for them to argue that something they claimed was good for European consumers should be different for American consumers. Samsung kinda shot themselves in the foot when they made those comments when trying to avoid further EU investigations or possible fines.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    spacepower wrote: »
    Eric,

I was kinda of looking forward forward to the SEP and FRAND counterclaims to be argued in court. That stuff needs to get settled once and for all. The Moto/MS was a good start.

Of course Samsung withdrew the SEPs, like they did in the EU. It would be silly for them to argue that something they claimed was good for European consumers should be different for American consumers. Samsung kinda shot themselves in the foot when they made those comments when trying to avoid further EU investigations or possible fines.
    They will be settled in court. Samsung will have to file a suit that deals specifically with licensing fees for their SEP's. This is what Apple wants - for a judge to decide the fees. Samsung wants to negotiate under the threat of an injunction hoping to get more than they deserve.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wheeeeeeeeee! Wheeeeeeeeee! Wheeeeeeeeee!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Three years and still no justice. What is the point in having a patent system if patents are not enforceable?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    daven wrote: »
    Three years and still no justice. What is the point in having a patent system if patents are not enforceable?

It's all part of the "Full Employment for Judges and Lawyers Act".
  • Reply 12 of 41
    They will be settled in court. Samsung will have to file a suit that deals specifically with licensing fees for their SEP's. This is what Apple wants - for a judge to decide the fees. Samsung wants to negotiate under the threat of an injunction hoping to get more than they deserve.

I don't think Samsung will bring these issues anywhere near a federal court regardless of a single judge or jury trial. Maybe to the ITC, but their comments in the EU would sink their case. Apple may be ok with this.

But I still think these issues of SEPs and FRAND obligations need more clarity. The IEEE and ITU have been sitting on their hands.

Looking for more info on the Apple/Moto via Qualcomm suit in San Diego.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Wow.. If you call $1billion in damages not enforceable then I'm not sure what to call it.

If, on the other hand, you are expecting the judge to ban a $900 handset with a gazillion features just because one of those features is a rubber band effect (which was since removed), then you really need to lay off the cannabis for a bit as your head is turning to mush.

• Reply 14 of 41
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

Wow.. If you call $1billion in damages not enforceable then I'm not sure what to call it.

If, on the other hand, you are expecting the judge to ban a $900 handset with a gazillion features just because one of those features is a rubber band effect (which was since removed), then you really need to lay off the cannabis for a bit as your head is turning to mush.

Click on the 'ripe for retrial' link and read that article. Florian Mueler thinks that Samsung may win the opportunity to have it tried for a third time with this time a good portion of the Apple patents thrown out. Really? A third time? We are not talking appeals of an existing verdict but going back for a third trial over the same stuff.

• Reply 15 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    FOSSPatents posts that Apple claims Samsung would have agreed to pay $40 per device in royalties for those 5 patents if they had negotiated a standard business license and the simply passed that on to consumers. In a rare turn Mueller also says Apple may have lost their mind. It doesn't help their SEP royalty discussions with regulators either by his reasoning.

EDIT: missed link
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/03/at-upcoming-trial-apple-wants-samsung.html
  • Reply 16 of 41
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FOSSPatents posts that Apple claims Samsung would have agreed to pay $40 per device in royalties for those 5 patents if they had negotiated a standard business license and the simply passed that on to consumers. In a rare turn Mueller also says Apple may have lost their mind. It doesn't help their SEP royalty discussions with regulators either by his reasoning.

I must have missed the part where it's stated that the 5 patents that Apple are using in this case against Samsung are SEP patents and therefore subject to FRAND terms. 

• Reply 17 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    davidw wrote: »
    I must have missed the part where it's stated that the 5 patents that Apple are using in this case against Samsung are SEP patents and therefore subject to FRAND terms. 

You're also missing the part where patents don't have to be a SEP in order to license.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan Tianao View Post

What did Motorola/Goolge say when they were seeking injunctions against Apple and Microsoft, with their SEP patents no less ............. oh yeah ........... "It only takes one bullet to kill".  What's good for the Google is good for the gander. 

And just to put in perspective how much $1B is going to hurt Samsung .......

http://www.androidauthority.com/reuters-samsung-14-billion-ads-marketing-galaxy-other-devices-this-year-320700/

• Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're also missing the part where patents don't have to be a SEP in order to license.

Which is why I don't see anything wrong with asking a $40 per device in licensing fees if they are not SEP patents.

• Reply 20 of 41
    How can you appeal a final judgment? It's not a final judgment if it can be appealed. It's no wonder we're in the shape we're in.