iChat/AIM problems?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've started having some problems with iChat silently failing... the other person can see my messages, but I never see their's.

Thinking this was an iChat problem, I reverted to Fire, my trusty old standby... and IT is failing on AIM. At least it gives me an error... I'm not seeing anything in the Console logs either for iChat.

Fire returns: "Sun 10/13/02 06:12 PM - AIM/toc - Disconnected reason 6-Invalid frame type from server"

Is this just a problem with my network, perhaps, or is this something a lot of folks are seeing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Yup. I've had a similar situation before. The last time, it was a problem with AOL mucking up their own servers, but was fixed about 24 hours later.

Also, lately, iChat has been disconnecting me without saying anything. It's not the typical "unexpectedly quit" crash that already happens about every 15 minutes when I'm chatting; in this case it just logs me off for no reason.

As much as I love it, iChat is shit for stability.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ah-HA!

iChatAgent is dying when it's getting the bad info from AIM's servers, and (here's the silly part) refuses to restart until you log in again. *sigh*

So it looks to be AIM's server screwing up, but iChatAgent isn't handling it very well, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Upgrading to 0.31d version of Fire fixed that side, at least. Part of the ReadMe includes a line that they updated the AIM client to reflect a change made on Oct 1 to AIM's servers.

Anyone else seeing this with iChat, or is it just me?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm having a brutal time with it too. It crashes way too often. Chat windows get messed up, where I can type text and enter it, but it'll just add empty space to the discussion. I have to close the window, and double click the person in my buddy list to start another.

Lately I have a hard time even connecting to the darn thing. There have been periods of a couple hours where it'll sit there "connecting".

Is it just me, or is iChat getting WORSE? I don't remember it doing this stuff when it first came out.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Actually, taking my experiences, iChat has gotten worse. At first, it was super stable. It never crashed on me until yesterday, when it crashed twice.

I've had other problems with iChat as well... sometimes the text the other person types will just disappear for no reason, and I have to highlight it to get it back. Sometimes the text bubbles overlap for no reason. Also, just recently, it's been displaying the "..." icon for me when I don't have anything entered in? if I type something and delete it, it leaves the ... icon.

I hope they update it and work out the bugs. There are a LOT of bugs... maybe that's why it's taking so long for an update.

EDIT: OMG. For some reason, tonight iChat has been TERRIBLE. Whenver I chat with someone for longer than a few minutes, an error message pops up. It says, "Uncaught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException" then below in smaller text it says "*** -[NSViewHierarchyLock textStorage]: selector not recognized" and two buttons, quit and continue.

What the hell?

[ 10-16-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Sometimes if I sign out of AIM then I can't get back in for a whil....gives me an error or it disconnects me. Also, I'm on a college ethernet network, and I've transferred with people who are on cable or higher, and the file transfer gives ridiculously long amounts to transfer small files. I could be trying to send one song and it says 152 minutes or something like that. Sometimes it will just crawl to a complete hault too.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Stupid AIM.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    ICQ rulez !!!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    iChat is terrible. That's what you get..
  • Reply 10 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by digitalandres:

<strong>iChat is terrible. That's what you get..</strong><hr></blockquote>

iChat is terrible, but what does that mean?