Screenshots purport to show WhatsApp's new VoIP calling feature in action on Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Ubiquitous cross-platform messaging app WhatsApp's forthcoming Voice over IP calling functionality, set to roll out to users later this spring, appears to have been revealed early in a series of screenshots posted Friday.

WhatsApp

The snaps detail an in-call screen sporting a design similar to iOS 7's default Phone app, with four circular buttons to mute the call, switch to a text messaging session, direct the call through the device's speaker, and hang up. The top of the display shows the contact's name, photo, and phone number, according to Italian Apple blog iPhoneItalia.

Calls made using the new feature will add a colored "call in progress" bar to the display when a user switches out of WhatsApp, similar to the method employed by other VoIP apps like Skype and Line to notify the user that a call is still live. That functionality is provided by iOS APIs, though developers can modify its color and labeling.

Additionally, the company has made it easier for users to attach photos to a text message, adding a small camera button at the top of the keyboard. That small but welcome tweak cuts down on what was previously a multi-step process.

WhatsApp -- recently acquired by Facebook in a $19 billion deal -- will reportedly not charge for the calling service as it seeks to reach feature parity with more established competitors. In addition to other messaging apps, it is also competing with built-in Apple services like iMessage, FaceTime, and the new FaceTime Audio VoIP offering.

WhatsApp has yet to reveal an exact release date, and it is also unclear if any other changes are in the works following the Facebook tie-up.
whatsapp2019

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Additionally, the company has made it easier for users to attach photos to a text message, adding a small camera button at the top of the keyboard. That small but welcome tweak cuts down on what was previously a multi-step process.

It's still a multi-step process as you cannot add text to the picture you want to send. Besides, I use iOS by default, and only use WA if needed. Yet, one after the other, rich or poor, is moving over to an iPhone. I guess my 'world' is different than the 'world of FB' as they seem to think they'll have 3 million customers using WA.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Is this going to be a hot line to the NSA?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I've never downloaded WhatsApp and can't imagine what its used for.

• Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ugly app now owned by a hideous company. Sounds great.

Apple, iMessage on Android, PLEASE!!! As we know Android users will download it and then I can get to delete all my other crappy chat apps and use iMessage and its emoji set full-time. That would be a great way to improving my iPhone experience. Please, Apple, do it!
  • Reply 5 of 11

Have iOS? Use FaceTime Audio and iMessage. Most secure internet connectivity applications ever. Proven security. Works effortlessly.

Have any other phone? Use Viber. Not as secure, but free and works most of the time. Users generally don't have privacy concerns with Viber.

Using WhatsApp? Deactivate you account if you don't want your private information to be sold to advertisers who then rape your e-mail inbox with junk messages.

Want a good cross-platform IM client? Use Telegram. Puts privacy first. Is new, so developer is going to put a lot of efforts in improving it. Is free. Has already gained a lot of users since the humongous WhatsApp buyout.

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ugly app now owned by a hideous company. Sounds great.

Apple, iMessage on Android, PLEASE!!! As we know Android users will download it and then I can get to delete all my other crappy chat apps and use iMessage and its emoji set full-time. That would be a great way to improving my iPhone experience. Please, Apple, do it!

I doubt iMessage will ever be cross platform. Very good reasons for it:

1. Apple would most probably not get into making it compatible with other platforms. It requires a lot of efforts, and Apple already have a lots of work of their own.

2. iMessage is one of the signature apps in the Apple ecosystem. It influences sales and promotes a single ecosystem-minded purchase.

3. Google aren't Apple's best friend.

• Reply 7 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Apple, iMessage on Android, PLEASE!!! 

No.

1. Apple loses money. Why would they do something that loses them money?

2. No incentive to buy Apple hardware. Why would they want people to keep Android?

• Reply 8 of 11

Hello Every One

I am Mrs Cailtin Poore from the United States Of America. I want to share a testimony  and i will always give thanks to Dr Abu who brought back my divorced husband that has left me for 4years within 72hours, i promised to always tell people about this great miracle that happen in my life,we where 2 year ago,since we got married,i have not been able to give him a child,although he try to bear with me but it came to a time his parents where so hot him,that he should get another wife because his mother needed a grand son from him,so because of all this,he left me. I have been looking for how to get pregnant and how to get my divorce husband back to my life because i love him with the whole of my heart,i could not replace him with any other man,one day i was watching my television when i saw a lady giving thanks to Dr Abu and telling the world how he helped her, i was so shocked i could not believe it because i never taught that there are powers that can bring back lost marriage,then i decided to contact him too because i do really need my divorce husband back,when i contacted him i told him everything and he told me not to worry that my divorce husband will surely come back to me, within 72hours, at first i could not believe because i was thinking how could somebody that has gone for 4years come back within 72 hours, then i decided to watch and see,after all the necessary thing have been done,to my greatest surprise within the next 72hours i got a call from an unknown number ,so i pick the call the next thing i could hear was my husbands voice he was pleading and begging me on the phone that i should forgive him, that i should forget all that have happened that he did not know what came over him,he promised not to leave for any reason,that he was really sorry for what he did,i was so surprised because i never believed that this could happen,so that was how i accepted his apology and the next morning he came back home to meet me and still pleading for me to forgive him i told him that everything is okay that i have forgiven him,that was how we started again and he has Change and 6months later i became pregnant,we where bless with a baby boy and live happily. I promised to say this testimony in radio station,commenting this testimony that am now a mother, i promise to say this in radio station and i will sir, thank you very much.World please am begging you people to try and help me thank this man for me,or if you need his help here is his email address [email protected] or you can also reach him through his mobile number,+234 903 800 7421*

Mrs Cailtin Poore

• Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple, iMessage on Android, PLEASE!!! 

No.

1. Apple loses money. Why would they do something that loses them money?

2. No incentive to buy Apple hardware. Why would they want people to keep Android?

Have you heard of sarcasm? At least I assumed that was what it was based on the stmts. LMAO

• Reply 10 of 11
    for those that are not sarcastic about wanting iMessage on android so they can message their Android friends.

1. They are not your friends they use Android.
    2. If they are your friend they will buy an iPhone.
    3. we don't want iMessage on android as they will make some way to introduces viruses.