Digi Cam for Christmas

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am going to be asking for a digital camera for my christmas present (its good to still be young ) and I was wondering if for the price of the Canon A40 if there was a better camera for that price.

I am looking for a camera that will take good pictures and has a nice amount of features but I don't really need effects, because I can do that in photoshop. I do need a LCD and optical (or whatever its called, the old school type on film cameras) so that when its bright out I can still see.

Does anyone have any suggestions or is this the best for the price?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What price is that? Depending on the day, Dell has the Canon A40 for ~$225, give or take $25...
  • Reply 2 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Based on my own experience with the A20, reviews of the A40, and some playtime with other cameras in various stores, I'd say that the PowerShot A40 is the best in its class. Go for it!

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 34
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I just bought a Leica Digilux 1.

It raises your sex apple by approx. 80% it's so cool.

It also takes the best photos of 4.0MP camera I have ever seen.

OH. MY. GOD.

... it is sexy.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Harald:

<strong>I just bought a Leica Digilux 1.

It raises your sex apple by approx. 80% it's so cool.

It also takes the best photos of 4.0MP camera I have ever seen.

OH. MY. GOD.

... it is sexy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If any camera raises your sex appeal by 80% then I wonder what your sex appeal started out as. Do you look like Wierd Al or something? And if you really have "sex apple" I do not know what that is nor do I want it.

Seriously though, the Leica Digilux 1 is a cool camera though it is SLIGHTLY of the price range since it cost like 800 dollars! :eek:

If you like the A40 you should also look at the Canon s200 or s230. They have fewer features but are much smaller (and I think cooler) plus the s230 takes at 3.2 megapixels.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    The label on the outside says Leica, but the labels on the inside say Panasonic...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I aways pick Kodak's cameras because they use regular AA batteries. And those NiMH based rechargeable batteries are very cheap and wildly available.

I hate those proprietary ones like those on SONY's , Canon's cameras. Expensive. Don't last long....... can you imagine when you are taking shots outdoor and realize the batteries are drained?

At least with those camera that are using regular AA batteries I can grab some from convenient stores.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I think the A40 uses regular AA battaries.

The S200 and S230 do not
  • Reply 8 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>At least with those camera that are using regular AA batteries I can grab some from convenient stores.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But you really wouldn't want to. Regular alkalines don't output the necessary 1.2 volts continuously as they get used up, so they're useless in digital cameras after a short while. With my old camera with persistent autofocus, alkalines would drain after taking a dozen or so photos with the flash.

On the otherhand, you can shoot a hundred photos on a single charge with the Canon lithium rechargeables. Just buy an extra and get in the habit of recharging them. That's not so hard.

Many Olympus and Fuji cameras use AA batteries too.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

But you really wouldn't want to. Regular alkalines don't output the necessary 1.2 volts continuously as they get used up, so they're useless in digital cameras after a short while. With my old camera with persistent autofocus, alkalines would drain after taking a dozen or so photos with the flash.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you read I mentioned NiMH based recharagable batteries? Those 1800mAH ones last for four hours when fully charged (on my Kodak DX4900, use two 'AA' batteries) or two hours on continuous use.

I have 16 of this batteries and they costs me less than 50 bucks CDN vs 80 CDN for ONE Sony/Canon proprietary last-for-one-hour Lithum-ion battery

I never said I use Alkaline batteries. They don't cut it unless in emergency cases

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 34
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    My Sony digicam works fine with double A's?or the rechargeable, VERY long lasting battery that I purchased with it in the accessory kit. My battery often outlasts my friend's, he's got a Canon S330 (very sexy camera, btw). I recommend Sony and Canon widely, both have great cameras, it's hard to go wrong when you pick the features that suit you.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    My brother's Sony Cybershot camera (the one with the very long lens) uses the proprietary battery and it last for only 1 hour :eek:
  • Reply 12 of 34
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Nobody's mentioned the Nikon Coolpix cameras yet... They're excellent cameras and there are enough Coolpix models to span most price ranges. I personally have a Fuji Finepix S602, which you can find for $500-$600. The Finepix cameras are also very good.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>My brother's Sony Cybershot camera (the one with the very long lens) uses the proprietary battery and it last for only 1 hour :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, the F707? The big SLR one? I don't know about what it uses, that is a little higher-end than mine. He must just have the standard/regular battery it comes with, and for the charge to just last 1 hour.. he must be doing a lot of shooting, with flash even. If the Sony F707 only lasts him an hour, I doubt any other comparable digital SLR with the standard battery is going to last him much longer, to tell you the truth.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Just because someone you know has experienced something with one product of one line of one brand name, it doesn't mean that every product that company sells has that same issue, and everyone will experience it.

I'm glad you said what the case really was, that you know someone with the F707 and his battery only lasts him about an hour of use, because that's a little different than condemning all of the Sony batteries. Honestly, Sony makes great digitals, and with adequate battery for your usage patterns, most people have great experiences with them. I probably sound like some Sony-addicted weirdo, but I'm not.. I just know myself and plenty of other people who are satisfied with their Sony digitals. I mean, I sold the things. I'm just trying to say, don't discount all Sonys, just because of one person's secondhand experience with battery life. Same for Canon or Olympus or Fuji or whatever.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    my sony dsc-s75 has never let me down on in terms of battery life. if you dont need 10x zoom, then there is no reason to buy the F-707 (long lens barrel). the s75 takes really nice pictures. it has manual settings too, not that i know how to use them, but just in case i ever learn. i have never, not even for a nanosecond, regretted buying this camera. you dont have to buy it, but i like it so much that i never miss an opportunity to give it credit where credit is due.

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 34
    i got the sony dsc-s85 (had to do mac's girl one better ) and love it....took photos of my daughter in a play and didn't use flash to keep the stage lighting...used it many many times and always run out of space on my 128 mb card before the battery goes....can see the photos <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/gavinmcc"; target="_blank">here</a> g
  • Reply 17 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    one of the reasons i didn't get the s200 or s230 is because how small they are, i'm worried the a40 will be to small, i don't want like a D60 size but i dont see why smaller is better, i find many digi cameras to be so small that they are akward
  • Reply 18 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'll toss in another plug for the Fuji line.

Back when I was shopping for a digi-cam I was pretty sure that I'd get a Nikon, but instantly fell in love with the 4700 when someone asked me to teach them to use the one that they'd purchased for themselves.

Fuji has cameras in every price tier, and they use standard rechargeable AA batteries. (I spit on Sony for being so proprietary!). The camera's interface is easy to learn and it fits nicely in one hand.

One note:

I bought my camera as a grey-market product, which means that I bought a camera from a compnay selling products intended for another country. It meant that I saved about $200 over other resellers, but if I'd had to send it for a warranteed repair that the manufacturer would have likely refused to honor the warranty because the serial # would inform them that I'd purchased a camera meant for another market. See, they charge American Consumers a premium to help offset the costs of potential warranteed repairs. So, you can save money buying grey market...but if something goes ka-flooey on the machine you're going to PAY to have it repaired.

Good luck!

D
  • Reply 19 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I've been eyeing the Coolpix 5700. Does anyone have any stories to tell about it?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Bad news to Fuji's camera......their new cameras use a proprietary storage card call xcard or something like that...........that means they are EXPENSIVE