Economist: Phone is Truly Personal Digital Device

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Have a look at this brilliant <a href="http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=1454300"; target="_blank">article in the Economist</a>. Here's an excerpt:

[quote]This year, users of mobile phones around the world passed the 1 billion mark. The number of mobile phones is now greater than the number of fixed-line ones.

PC sales, meanwhile, have stagnated, and innovation has slowed: today's PCs are really just like those of a year ago, or two years ago, only faster. Sales of handheld computers, or personal digital assistants (PDAs), at around 10m a year, are dwarfed by sales of mobile phones. It looks increasingly as though the ?personal computer? was a misnomer. The truly personal digital device today is the phone.<hr></blockquote>

Even though I already knew this, it's amazing to see how North America is the only place on earth where personal computers have a higher penetration than mobile phones.

I still wonder whether Apple will be part of the non-PC PC revolution...

Escher

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>I still wonder whether Apple will be part of the non-PC PC revolution...</strong><hr></blockquote>

They're selling the computers that communicate with these non-PC PCs. And if the iPod is any indication, they also want in on the revolution, since that appears to be where the money is now.