iPod battery dead quickly in cold weather

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My mom has been borrowing my iPod recently and she told me that she took it with her on a bike ride immediately after disconnecting it from the charger - and the battery died after 45 minutes. The weather was cold (probably 25-35 degrees farenheit), but I wouldn't expect the iPod's battery to die THAT quickly even in cold weather. Is there something wrong? Should I call Apple and have them work on it (purchased in April, and as far as I know Apple has extended the iPod warranty to one year on all units including ones that had already been purchased at the time the extension was announced)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    charge it two times. then try again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    My iPod battery was never too impressive but recently had only been lasting about an hour/hour and a half before going dead . Once charged it fully overnight , left it for a few days then when i used it it died after about 5 mins! my friend has similar problems with his-I called Apple who advised me to send them it to check it over-they sent me back a brand new iPod(as they did with my friend) I bought the iPod when it came out and I reckon by their reaction to the battery issue that it's not an uncommon complaint-hopefully this new one will last a bit longer!?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I thought that the battery was an advanced lithium ion which was gel-like. In cold weather, it's likely that the battery would stiffen. Try placing it as close to your body as possible. Did your mom have any problem with the LCD? That should probably begin to stiffen too...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    the batteries that die after they've sat for a few days are most likely an issue with your iPod settings. there are some thing you should shut off, such as alarms and reminders? dunno, i remember there were two of them. go through your iPod settings and they'll stand out. basically PDA functions are the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'm not sure of the reason, but iPod batteries do drain completely if you leave them switched off for several days.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The battery is polymer. Most batteries don't operate well in very cold or hot temps. Keeping the iPod inside a warm pocket would help when it's cold outside. My iPod stopped charging properly after 11 months. Apple sent me a new one.