Nokia 8265 or Moto v60?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I broke my 8260.

Need to get a new phone; staying with same service (Cingular) Choices are the V60 or 8265.

Both are $100 after rebates.

Which?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    The flip phone protects the keypad and screen better than an open face phone. Plus, I just trust Motorola phones more than other brands. I"ve had my StarTAC since 1998, and it still works... well, the keypad doesn't work that well, but I mean, it can still make and receive calls

I prefer flip phones, despise open face. I think it is a better use and exploitation of space when using a flip phone.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'm leaning towards the 8265, now.

Going to go play with them tomorrow.

*sigh*
  • Reply 3 of 12
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I found out recently that Moto hired Tim Parsey from Apple's Industrial Design team to head up their design squad. It was their big idea. I'll find his name. The first phone he worked on was the one with the 360 degree swivel bezel.

Which is an out-and-out UI screw up of the highest order.

Ivesy earns his bread IMO.

Sorry if this is old news.

[quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Egad... Motorola has a horrible reputation in mobile phones. Where have you been, a cave? Antarctica? USA?

Actually, the latest Motorolas are attractive (V70) and somewhat well-built, but they still suffer from a very bad interface and extremely poor reception.

Some people still prefer flip phones, but I'm definitely not one of them.

For some great information, and agreement that you should not buy Motorola, check out <a href="http://www.howardforums.com"; target="_blank">howardforums</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Harald ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Every flip phone Me and my family have ever used broke. On the hinge.

One piece simplicity. And Nokia have the best reputation and they always sound good.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Every flip phone Me and my family have ever used broke. On the hinge.

One piece simplicity. And Nokia have the best reputation and they always sound good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like MS have the "best reputation" -- after all, everyone uses Windows.

Nokia do not have the best technology (if that matters) or the best UI (which certainly does matter) but it CERTAINLY has the best marketing.

Which is all-important.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Jonathan,

Are you getting a new contract or something to get that deal? My Siemens is complete crap and I'm looking to replace it, but paying full price is not really an option. Any ideas?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    My family had just renegociated the contract like 2 weeks ago.

I assume that I got the new contract/upgrade price.

Got the 8265. The v60 is just played out around here.

So far: Sound quality is excellent. Much better than the 8260. White backlights are really slick.

Ordered a faceplate for it, as i'm not a fan of the current coloration (sort of a champagnish silver) <a href="http://www.wirelessemporium.com/store/catalog/product/details.asp?itemid=930."; target="_blank">http://www.wirelessemporium.com/store/catalog/product/details.asp?itemid=930.</a>;

Should look pretty damn nice.

I'm satisfied. Not sure it was worth $100, but...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    get the nokia phone.

Nokia phones are famous for their reliability.

My nokia phone still works after 3 years!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I can't comment on reliability for Nokia because after one year ours broke with some non-descript error and we had to pull the Sim card out and mail it back. next day we got a replacement and it worked like a charm. Not a bad experience, but it was an experience none the less. I chalked it up for being a dud. Maybe we banged it up a little who knows, sh!t happens.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I just bought the V60i from Amazon.com for free, so I don't know how that stacks up against the $50 to $150 you likely paid for the 8265. The reviews for the V60 indicate above average reception so the war cries against motorola probably don't apply here (except in the interface navigation area, but you can create your own menus and organize them how you like). I can't wait for it to come in (December 19th-24th).

Oh yeah 1yr ATT, 350 anytime minutes, $29.99