Digital Hub Ideas...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do other people want to see in a new digital hub device/appliance?

What I would like to see is a small, SMART Superdrive with lots of output options. What I am invisioning would be maybe twice the size of a discman (at the most), which would be capable of reading and writing CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM and DVD-R. Now, it would be smart in that it would be able to decode MP3s, read and display/output image files (including full PhotoCDs) and play Quicktime files, as well as play CDs and DVDs. Inputs and Ouputs would include:

- Component Video Out

- Either DVI or VGA out

- S-Video Out

- RCA stereo audio out

- Firewire port

- IR/Bluetooth for a remote control

This could be hooked up to your stereo, TV, VCR or home theatre setup, so that you could play DVDs to your TV (or projector), play MP3s to your stereo (from CD-R or DVD-R), but could also display PhotoCDs (either true or just a CD-R full of image files) as a slideshow to a TV, projector or recorded onto VHS tape. Now, the added Quicktime playback would be great in that you could play media from the internet, but could also play Powerpoint presentations exported to QT. In this way, this device could be used as a presentation device, to bring on business trips. It could also be used to bring your home iMovies to Gramma and Grampa's place (who no doubt won't have a DVD player) and watch on their TV.

I don't think there would be a need for a HD in this device, only a large flash-upgradable ROM. Imagine the versatility. You'd be able to just burn a bunch of MP3s, Quicktime movies, digital images and iMovies to CD-R or DVD-R. When successfully burned, it sorts out the content by video, audio, images, etc. in an iPod-like interface/LCD. Then when you select what you'd like to play, it outputs it to connected devices. When you plugged it into your computer with the Firewire port, it would mount on the desktop just like an external FW CD-RW or DVD-R drive (only when optical media was inserted).

The device could also be offered in a cheaper version with only a DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drive for those with Superdrives in their machines that don't see the need to have another, and are happy with ejecting the disc from their computer and inserting it into their iDevice.

Sorry for the rediculously long explanation.

Bring on the ideas!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    If you don't have a large hard drive then how do you fill up the gigs of space on a DVD when you burn it?

I do see the need for getting all this digital media into the living room but I'm not smart enough to see exactly how it should be done.

Maybe Apple will make aTiVo like- DVD-burning MP3 jukebox - VCR killer.

Only $999....

MSKR
  • Reply 2 of 4
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    they could call it the crippled iMac
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    [quote]Originally posted by preston:

<strong>they could call it the crippled iMac</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or the Cube.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 4 of 4
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    [quote]Originally posted by Masker:

<strong>If you don't have a large hard drive then how do you fill up the gigs of space on a DVD when you burn it?

MSKR</strong><hr></blockquote>

You burn it when connected to your Mac, from the computer's HD. In reality, I think the non-writing version would be more useful, relying on a Superdrive or CD-RW drive in the Mac (or PC, for that matter) for burning the discs themselves. This way, you don't need to lug it back and forth between the computer and living room all the time.