Apple releases cheaper 8GB iPhone 5c on UK carrier O2 [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple on Tuesday released an 8GB version of its mid-tier iPhone 5c handset on UK carrier O2, bringing the plastic-backed smartphone into the sub-$100 price range in a possible bid to stave off flagging sales.

iPhone 5c

Update: The 8GB iPhone 5c has made its way to the UK Apple Store with a price of ?429.

For now, the 8GB iPhone 5c is only showing up on wireless carrier O2's UK webpage with prices ranging from free to ?409.99, or about $680. The unsubsidized price represents a savings of ?100 ($166) off the 16GB model.

While the phone does not appear on the UK's Online Apple Store, or Apple's iPhone 5c informational webpage, it appears the only change made was a decrease in onboard storage.

As of this writing, Apple's current entry-level iPhone, the iPhone 4S, is still present on O2's website. Some industry watchers speculated the older generation device would be discontinued in favor of an 8GB iPhone 5c.

With the cheaper iPhone 5c version, Apple may be looking to kickstart what many perceive to be stagnating sales. Discussing quarterly numbers in January, CEO Tim Cook acknowledged that demand for the 5c was weaker than expected, with the lower-priced handset representing a smaller mix of overall iPhone sales. In total, Apple sold 51 million iPhones during the holiday quarter, a new record for the company but below market expectations of 55 million.

Tuesday's debut comes less than one day after a supposedly leaked internal email from O2 Germany first spurred rumors that an 8GB iPhone 5c would be released sometime this week. The lower capacity 5c has yet to make its way to the mobile operator's German website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    This is quite a substantial price difference and might just be a trigger needed to jump off the sales. :)
  • Reply 2 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Makes sense, should've been at this price point upon release. Finally priced at what it's worth, watch the sales sky rocket now.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

Even for my needs (some songs, some apps and no videos), 8 GB is still very low. It's like always running on a reserve. I don't see a point of an iPhone (no less) with 8 GB memory unless you really don't want anything on it except for a few apps and some music (in which case, why buy an iPhone anyway)? For me, 8 GB doesn't much sense in 2014.

But that's me, I'm sure there are people out there who want an iPhone but don't want a lot on it. But I still don't understand why you'd pay so much and then not get enough space for anything worthwhile the power and capacity of an iPhone.

• Reply 4 of 62
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Even for my needs (some songs, some apps and no videos), 8 GB is still very low. It's like always running on a reserve. I don't see a point of an iPhone (no less) with 8 GB memory unless you really don't want anything on it except for a few apps and some music (in which case, why buy an iPhone anyway)? For me, 8 GB doesn't much sense in 2014.

But that's me, I'm sure there are people out there who want an iPhone but don't want a lot on it. But I still don't understand why you'd pay so much and then not get enough space for anything worthwhile the power and capacity of an iPhone.

Many people stream their media nowadays. I have very little use for local storage, other than 20 or so select apps. 8gb would do me fine.

• Reply 5 of 62
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    I agree 8GB is way too low - in fact I question the logic of this product since without expandable memory, all this is really going to do is frustrate users over time and give many a poor experience of their first iPhone, probably driving them to a cheap android with a card slot next time.

Let's be real here - you could fill 8GB in a hour or two just by being a bit trigger happy with the video function.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    crysisftw wrote: »

It depends on ones needs. My wife for example never uses more than 5gb of iPhone memory. She uses a lot of Apps from banking through to our Tado thermostat & has a lot of pictures & emails. Music & video is not something she uses her iPhone for.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Yeah that's what I thought when I got my Galaxy S4 and was surprised to find it only had 8GB of free space, the S5 is even worse, at least Apple don't advertise it as 16GB like Samsung does.

• Reply 8 of 62
    Really? Apple said that sales of the 5c were lower than expected? Or did they say the 5s represented a higher percentage of the mix than expected? If you look at the 5c from a manufacturing cost point of view, was the 5c not always intended to be the discount/sales phone in the line up? With Apple almost unable to believe their luck that so many seem happy to pay so much for an Apple phone !! If I were Apple I would want to take the cream for as long as I could before kicking in the discount strategy . Just some thoughts.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Even without media, some games install about 800Mb data (PvZ2, AngryBirds etc.), and the real problems will arise with iOS updates, as 7.1 already needed 1.9Gb free space on my iPad (3, 16Gb) to even install. 

• Reply 10 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by petri View Post

I agree 8GB is way too low - in fact I question the logic of this product since without expandable memory, all this is really going to do is frustrate users over time and give many a poor experience of their first iPhone, probably driving them to a cheap android with a card slot next time.

Let's be real here - you could fill 8GB in a hour or two just by being a bit trigger happy with the video function.

If I'm a parent I'm giving my child this product. I'm not buying an iPhone 5S or iPhone 5C with 16/32/64 GB. Sorry, but the kid needs a way to contact me, find themselves around, get their homework assignments, but not to piss my money down the drain filling it up with games and videos, etc.

• Reply 11 of 62
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Whats the unlock price?
  • Reply 12 of 62

This changes everything. Again.

Who would buy a crappy plastic 16GB Nexus 5 for £299 when you can get a cool iPhone 5C for just £130 more?

• Reply 13 of 62
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Still way expensive, especially for the 8gb. That's the price of a Nexus, Every last year's top model (s4, note 2, htc, etc.).

It should be 100 $ less.

• Reply 14 of 62
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Still way expensive, especially for the 8gb. That's the price of a Nexus, Every last year's top model (s4, note 2, htc, etc.).

It should be 100 $ less.

I don't believe Apple has ever dropped its prices straight to the level of competitors. If things don't sell they drop the price but always stay a good bit more expensive than the rest of the field.

• Reply 15 of 62
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It should be 100 $ less.

I don't believe Apple has ever dropped its prices straight to the level of competitors. If things don't sell they drop the price but always stay a good bit more expensive than the rest of the field.

But this is outrageous! The 5c is target at newcomers. Be honest and read this:

http://www.androidcentral.com/eight-android-phones-buy-instead-8gb-iphone-5c?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Who, in their right mind, without a Mac or an iPad, would come to iOS via this "cheap" 5c instead of one of those 8 devices? Do you even realize that it doesn't matter if the 5c is 500 € or 1000€, because only few souls will buy it as long as it costs more than those 8 devices.

They might as well not sell it and keep the brand power.

• Reply 16 of 62
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Whats the unlock price?

$712 USD.  It'll fly off the shelves for sure. What a great deal!

• Reply 17 of 62
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

This doesn't make any sense.

From a parts point of view, the 8GB phone will be no more than 8$ cheaper than the 16GB version. Yet it is essentially a crippled device that will give a lot of users a bad first experience when they run out of space after putting a few songs on it and recording a few pics and vids or even just installing one of the bigger apps, such as TomTom or a game like Infinity Sword 3.

What they need is cut margins at the sales price. They're not going to win any significant extra audience by crippling an already overpriced product further.

• Reply 18 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

$712 USD.  It'll fly off the shelves for sure. What a great deal!

Well the unlocked 16 GB model is $549 unlocked in the US, so I think your sarcasm made be somewhat overenthusiastic.

• Reply 19 of 62
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I don't know how people get along with 8GB, because technically after these software is on there what does it drop it down to, somewhere in the 6GB range? I know my 16GB iPhone is 13.3GB I believe. Never again getting a 16GB I find myself deleting stuff never had that problem when I had a 32GB.

I wonder if Apple will start new iPhones at 32 and go up from there? 16GB though is sufficient for most people I guess.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    I don't know how people get along with 8GB, because technically after these software is on there what does it drop it down to, somewhere in the 6GB range? I know my 16GB iPhone is 13.3GB I believe. Never again getting a 16GB I find myself deleting stuff never had that problem when I had a 32GB.

I wonder if Apple will start new iPhones at 32 and go up from there? 16GB though is sufficient for most people I guess.

The next iDevices should also have more RAM to allow apps to exploit the 64-bit APU.