wireless DSL

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm about to get SBC Yahoo DSL. And want to take advantage of my wireless airport card. Any suggestions on products I need. I heard that SMC make good wireless routers. I'm just going to be surfing the net, email, and downloading MP3's. What would I need? Would the SMC SMC7004VWBR work well for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Just pick up an Airport Base Station. With the new Extreme stations at $199, some of the retailers are marking the older ones down at least that far.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Why buy the older one for the same price as the newer one when the newer one will work with the older cards? Just wondering because I am thinking about getting set up for airport.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    It depends on your uses. If you're going to be moving files back and forth between multiple machines, stick it out until Airport Extreme is available.

If you're jusing using one computer and wirelessly hooking up to cable/DSL, I wouldn't wait for Extreme. Standard Airport is still 11 Mb/sec, while your broadband connection is less than 1 Mb/sec (usually 256 Kb/sec, actually). Plus, some other stores may be discounting them even more.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    for the same price, get extreme .... if you can talk them down, save some $ and get an old one. (you'll probably never need the advantages of the new one in a home network anyway)

If you really want to go cheap .... DLink 802.11b stuff works fine with Airport cards. (thier wireless base station can be had for $119 if you catch it on sale at BestBuy or something.)

Personally, I'm using a snow Airport Base Station with my iBook, and old iMac and a eMachine running XP .... all work flawlessly (or as flawless as any Windows machine can run anyway)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Dunno dude, check out CompUSA's running some specials on NetGear wireless equipment. I just set up a guy's house with some of their stuff and it's pretty top notch! I've also had extremely good luck using Linksys, but again it all comes down to the $$. If you're just surfing the net, you don't need the Extreme, but if doing file xfering from puter to puter, you'll want the extra speed.. Tis my own .02