When will we see a $299 iPod?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'd wish Apple would take a page out of Sony and drop the price of the iPod by $100 to $299.

While the Playstation is in a different category, it's not too far off. Like the iPod, it's been hugely successful but has probably reached it's peak. To spur new sales, a significant price drop is aimed at those who may have been sitting on the fence because of price.

Sounds like a receipe for Apple and the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    It's not quite the same. Remember Sony makes money from every single game sold for Playstation. Apple makes nothing other than the profit margin on the price of the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, if you're in the market for a new mac, it already is at 299 (or rebated to 299 or whatever). I would imagine that sometime this summer around MWNY probably, the promotion will end, and the prices will actually drop $100 for anyone who just wants to pick one up.

On the other hand, that's what people have been saying about the monitor promotions that have been going on in one form or another for almost a year.........
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ti xti x Posts: 32member
    You can!

Just buy a new PowerBook or iBook and get -$100 an iPod.

Mine cost me $300, although I had a gift certificate for $50 and my timing happened to be good. Here is why...

I went to my local Apple store the day after Christmas, and some guy had just come in to return an iPod he got as a gift, because it wouldn't work with his old iMac that didn't have firewire. Well, I was there to buy an iPod anyway, so the salesperson said I've got this one (he told me the story) and it is only $349 because it has been opened. So, I said Merry Christmas to me! ring it up!

If you don't have an Apple store near you, buy a refurbished one of the Apple web site.

Either way I don't see them dropping the price while they are still selling so well, or with so many people purchasing them in addition to a new Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The promos great if you happen to need a new Mac along with the iPod.

Unfortunately, I picked up an G4 iMac pre-$100 price hike so I figure I came out even.

Regardless, if it does happen in MWNY, then I can definitely wait.

I'd be curious to know how many iPod have actually been sold.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I dunno what it costs Apple tp make iPods.

They still want to make money on the things.

If it costs $250, I'm sure Apple would make it a $299 gizmo. But it probably costs Apple $300 to make it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    When?

Not soon enough.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    MWNY: 5 Gig 299, 10 Gig 399, 20 Gig 499..... maybe.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I dunno what it costs Apple tp make iPods.

They still want to make money on the things.

If it costs $250, I'm sure Apple would make it a $299 gizmo. But it probably costs Apple $300 to make it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no.

When they first were released last November they likely cost close to 300. The drive itself used to retail for 399.

Now the drive retails in a external firewire case for $199. and smartdisk is making a profit on that price.

Apple can afford to drop to 299 or possibly lower
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>MWNY: 5 Gig 299, 10 Gig 399, 20 Gig 499..... maybe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would sound good if you changed the date...I would say in between MWNY and MWSF.