Music Sharing, iCommune, Apple's plans

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, I never played with this iCommune thing, in fact I just recently really got into iTunes now that I have a hard drive big enough to hold all my mp3s, but as I understand it iCommune was a plug-in which facilitated Napster like file sharing directly from iTunes.

So the big news is that Apple has legally shut them down. Which suggests two different possible motivations...

1. Apple is kissing the RIAA's ass or simply afraid of them.

-or-

2. Apple is going to release their own version of filesharing from iTunes.

This is especially surprising to me since now that I've really got into iTunes and see how easy it makes it for me to rip my CDs, organize and annotate them as I please, and mark up all the mp3s I've acquired, I thought that about the only thing that was missing was a good file sharing capability.

I see a need for easily sharing iTune libraries within a LAN as well as a big demand for sharing mp3s that have been so excellently ripped and annotated as on iTunes.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Nordstrodamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, Apple has shown off Rendezvous-enabled iTunes library streaming (not sharing in the sense of copying files around) in the past, so I guess this is what they're thinking about.

Seems silly to do this althhough maybe i'm just ignorant of the full circumstances. This is like the time they fired a cease-and-decist form to a company that made external DVD-R support for iDVD. Didn't like it then either.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Apple may one day defeat MS but RIAA is untouchable.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Essentially, the liscence agreement stipulates that the iTunes plugins can only be made for hardware interfacing, not software. So, iCommune violated the liscencing agreement by its very nature.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    anyone have a link?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong> This is like the time they fired a cease-and-decist form to a company that made external DVD-R support for iDVD. Didn't like it then either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, and the speculation was that they were going to include external DVD burner support in the iLife $49 version, which would have been totally justifiable. As far as I know, however, there is no external drive suport in iDVD3.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>Essentially, the liscence agreement stipulates that the iTunes plugins can only be made for hardware interfacing, not software. So, iCommune violated the liscencing agreement by its very nature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That they had the legal justification is not in dispute. Whether they are exercising their rights to do so because they are afraid of the RIAA or just because they plan to offer a better product themselves is in dispute.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>anyone have a link?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Found it on <a href="http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/01/16/1555250.shtml?tid=107"; target="_blank">Slashdot</a>
  • Reply 8 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Does anyone HAVE iCommune? I'd like to try it, I hate having two-three computers' worth of libraries on my home network.

Apple damn well better provide Rendezvous with the way to copy between computers on a local network. I own the music, I can have it on more than one Mac. It's not like I could play it on more than one.. and if I did, then I could only listen to one thing at once. And even if I listened to more than one thing at once.. who said I can't listen to more than one thing at a time? Does that make sense?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    bradbower:

icommune may be just the thing for you (until, perhaps, rendevous playlists arrive). in the past, I've always had to log into an mp3 storing mac using filesharing, and play the files remotely. ok over ethernet, can get a bit choppy over airport

we had a go with iC this weekend (limewire, 97k, took no time at all). throw the plugin into the iTunes library plugin folder, startup iT, and you get a 'Network' icon at the bottom right, next to the graphic equaliser, and a network listing below radio tuner on the left).

We tried 2 setups. the first, in one house, with an imac acting as the mp3 server. ibook logged into the imac via the network button, the full imac itunes library appears on the ibook. all tunes played seamless on ibook over airport. sweet. v impressed

this, i presume will be the essence of the rendevous stuff - albeit perhaps with playlists only and not the full library

also tried iC between houses. both of us have cable - mate with mp3 server has megabit (incl 256 upload) and I'm on 600. I can log in and play tunes from his house, although it does get choppy, and the stream rebuffers a lot..

the filesharing facility may well be the dodgy bit that apple objected to. simply drag and drop from network library to own library, and the file copies over. worked between houses seamlessly.

um, bit longwinded. too much coffee.

hang loose

------------------------\\

Now playing: James Brown

London weather: filth
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Thanks, I didn't even think of that. Got it now.

Works pretty good on my home network!!

Anybody want to trade music collections with iCommune?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes. I have an ENORMOUS collection and hard drive and fast internet. Where do we get iCommune?

What port does it use? its own? URI caps most P2P to below 1k/s
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong> Where do we get iCommune?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

limewire. less than a sec. download.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Yes. I have an ENORMOUS collection and hard drive and fast internet. Where do we get iCommune?

What port does it use? its own? URI caps most P2P to below 1k/s</strong><hr></blockquote>

I searched for "iCommune" on gnutella (Acquisition, of course), immediately found many results. Files like iCommune_1.0b2.sit are what you're looking for.

iCommune uses Mac OS X's built-in Apache webserver to share, I think it uses the default of port 80. Which could be a problem for those of us who ISPs block port 80 into the WAN. One can easily configure httpd.conf to use another port, but the question is whether iCommune will accept <a href="http://whatever.local:1234/~you/Music"; target="_blank">http://whatever.local:1234/~you/Music</a>; . I have yet to try it, I'm enjoying iCommune too much.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    anybody knows machines/urls running iCommune??
  • Reply 15 of 20
    been searching for it on Limewire for 1/2 an hour.....no where to be found
  • Reply 16 of 20
    did you also try acquisition??
  • Reply 17 of 20
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Okay lets use iChat.

Everybody wanting Icommune goto channel "iwant"
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Okay major problems here.

I´m trying to connect to another member from AI but we can´t see anything on eachother. We have both turned on personal web sharing and turned off firewall but nothing happens.

Any hints of what might have gone wrong?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    If anybody is having trouble finding iCommune on limewire/acquisition I found a website that's still hosting the file.

<a href="http://www.bitwaste.com/wasted-bits/"; target="_blank">http://www.bitwaste.com/wasted-bits/</a>;

The file is under news for january 17. You have select Download Link To Disk...if you click on the link it'll open a window full of rubbish.