HDTV

wmfwmf
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I found some HTDV commercials on the Web; I was pleasantly surprised to discover that VLC can play them in real time on my 800MHz TiBook.

<a href="http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/hd_ads/"; target="_blank">http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/hd_ads/</a>;

I wonder when Mac-compatible HDTV tuners will appear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Using VLC .5.1a I can't hear any audio...is there supposed to be?

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    yeah there is supposed to be audio. I tried it on my Powerbook and my Dual Gig MDD and the trailers look incredible, can't wait to get my 65" projo HD equipped
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by filmmaker2002:

<strong>yeah there is supposed to be audio. I tried it on my Powerbook and my Dual Gig MDD and the trailers look incredible, can't wait to get my 65" projo HD equipped </strong><hr></blockquote>

And you got audio? Hmm...what's wrong with my set-up?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

And you got audio? Hmm...what's wrong with my set-up?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had no audio initially. Then I went under the "Audio" menu, and to the bottom where you can select your "Device". It was set to built-in, and I changed it to SoundSticks. I get audio now.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    What resolution are the files? 720p? "Normal" size doesn't fill up my SGI display, so I'm guessing they're 720. 1080i would be just a tad bigger than my display

They look good though, I'd like to run them through my HD set though....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Yeah, it was 720p because it filled up my screen horizontally, at 1280x1024.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Works for me with vlc 0.4.6 on an iBook, but just barely. Sound's okay, too.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    130% CPU utilization on a 2x1000 MHz Power Mac G4. 75% on a 2700 MHz clocked P4. A pretty good showing for the G4, which is using less total CPU than the P4 while having fewer total MHz and also dealing with SMP overhead...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    so now I'm intrigued... is there any more HDTV content around that I can download and play in VLC?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>130% CPU utilization on a 2x1000 MHz Power Mac G4. 75% on a 2700 MHz clocked P4.</strong><hr></blockquote>Odd... it utilized about 130-140% on my dual 500. I guess my G4 is better than yours.

Oh yeah, it looked nice. At the default size it filled my 1280*960 screen horizontally too.