Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 continues to rise, now at 85%

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
In a change to Apple's developer website on Monday, the company announced adoption of iOS 7 is now at 85 percent while the share of devices running iOS 6 has fallen to 12 percent.

iOS 7
Source: Apple

For the week ending on Mar. 23, Apple logged iOS distribution at 85 percent, which represents a two-percent uptick from the week ending Mar. 9.

Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 has been growing steadily after it launched in September of 2013. One week after its debut, the version accounted for 52 percent of iOS web share, a statistic that jumped to 74 percent in early December. Later that month, Apple announced iOS 7 was on 78 percent of compatible devices.

During Apple's quarterly conference call for the first fiscal quarter of 2014 in January, CFO Phil Schiller reported 80 percent of compatible iOS devices had switched over to the company's latest operating system. That number jumped to 83 percent in February, according to ad network Chitika and Apple's own developer webpage.

As iOS 7 adoption steadily grows, share of the last-generation iOS 6 shrinks and now stands at 12 percent. Hardware running earlier operating systems combine to represent the remaining 3 percent share.

Likely contributing to this month's growth is the release of iOS 7.1, which brought CarPlay support, Touch ID enhancements and provisions for mass device deployment operations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Failure of iOS 6 at 12%.

Seriously, amazing stat of iOS 7 adoption.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Failure of iOS 6 at 12%.

But if people were allowed to downgrade it would be 0%. /s
  • Reply 3 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Waits for all the haters to say how much iOS 7 sucks....

• Reply 4 of 27
    I'll get to it someday. Maybe the week before iOS 8 ships. :)
  • Reply 5 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Failure of iOS 6 at 12%.

Just as some are saying the failure of the 5C will be proven if Apple changes the branding after a year the same will be true if Apple doesn't keep iOS 7 for another year¡
  • Reply 6 of 27

So what do the Android loosers have to say now!

HaHa.

Apple Rules!

You Android loosers.

• Reply 7 of 27
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Torrid Foster View Post

HaHa.

Apple Rules!

You Android loosers.

Oh AI, you always put a smile on my face.

• Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

HaHa.

Apple Rules!

You Android loosers.

You left out the /s tag? You're a reverse troll?

There is nothing even remotely connected to Android here. The article isn't about iOS sitting at 85% and Android sitting at 15%.

• Reply 9 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    You're a reverse troll?

Had to look that one up, and LOL-ed afterwards:
    Reverse Trolling
    When someone of little or no intelligence on the internet gets into a discussion, debate, or argument that they cannot keep up with because of their inability to think and process information outside of their closed little mind, and respond by calling the other person more intelligent than them (A TROLL)! This act is therefore TROLLING because it's a cop out to an intelligent conversation by which the one more intelligent is falsely accused of being a troll as a trolling diversion tactic of the Reverse Trolling which is always done by stupid trolls. Also, to call someone a Troll when they are Not A Troll.

Trolling is when you purposely do or say something to get a response for the sake of a laugh or attention. However, most people being shit brain stupid confuse this with popularity of already being famous and actually thinking so as to not follow stupid sheep that all do and say the same thing all the time. The inability to see these differences combined with a habit of calling people trolls too often will always result in Reverse Trolling.
    -
    Example A:

First Person: A person of average or less than average intelligence can only perceive and conceive others as intelligent or less than intelligent as they themselves are. Very rarely, if at all, will they try to understand that which they are not open to, for they are not neutral and are still using labels to identify who and what they are, even though it is all misrepresentation of how they feel and think.

Second Person: You're a Troll.

First Person: No, you're a Troll for Reverse Trolling. It's not my fault you are too stupid to keep up with the conversation.

-
    Example B:

First Person: Did you hear what the president said on t.v.? He's trolling!

Second Person: He's the President you dip shit, he's not trolling, if anything he says as little as possible to keep people calm. Quit Reverse Trolling and grow a brain!

-
    Example C:

First Person: I'm an Atheist.

Second Person: So do you use The Scientific Method or do you always prematurely make up your mind about everything before knowing the facts? Most Atheists are just rebelling against everything and find it cool not to think at all, often telling other people what to think, and any belief system is a religion, so this makes Atheism just another religion.

First Person: You're a Troll.

Second Person: No, you are Reverse Trolling for not being able to speak back with anything other than calling me a troll. Forget it, I'm leaving, come and find me when you grow a brain.
    by xselectivex January 27, 2011
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

HaHa.

Apple Rules!

You Android loosers.

Getting a boner over an OS -who's the loser?

• Reply 11 of 27
    bdj1bdj1 Posts: 13member

D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Failure of iOS 6 at 12%.

Doesn't help that I'm now REQUIRED to ruin my nice ipad with ios6 because ios6 is not secure enough for square.  ios7 UI ruined every thing.  

• Reply 12 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

HaHa.

Apple Rules!

You Android loosers.

What's a looser?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    bdj1 wrote: »
    D
    Failure of iOS 6 at 12%.

Doesn't help that I'm now REQUIRED to ruin my nice ipad with ios6 because ios6 is not secure enough for square.  ios7 UI ruined every thing.  

Your post doesn't make sense ...on any level. Can't wait for your next post, but that may take another 3 years or so.
  • Reply 14 of 27

Apple has come out and said that your ipad on public networks are open to anyone that wants to view everything on your ipad while using ios6.  I accept credit cards via my ipad using square.  Square, and any other company that allows credit cards, is now requiring I change my os to 7.  I bought the ipad based on the User Interface.  In my opinion is has been ruined.

Siri blocks out the entire background, so instead of reading what I need to search for, I have to stop everything, go try and find a pen, go find some paper, write it down, then try it again.

App icons and buttons are now "flat", which basically means they are now dull, with no detail to show what they actually do.

Everything has been whited/greyed out.  Fonts are now super skinny.  Super skinny fonts, white on a light grey background is very difficult on my eyes.  Not to mention when the background turns super bright neon.

When I had android, I tried some different Themes, and some looked cool for a moment, when I added them like a paper theme, it was not useable to me.

I paid for the UI, and now required to change it with no option to stay with the one I viewed as worth paying for.

Imagine you buy a car and they took out your nice interior and switched it to a center console scion interior.  Imagine they take that nice gleaming black and made it a dull grey with neon highlights.

• Reply 15 of 27
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdj1 View Post

Apple has come out and said that your ipad on public networks are open to anyone that wants to view everything on your ipad while using ios6.  I accept credit cards via my ipad using square.  Square, and any other company that allows credit cards, is now requiring I change my os to 7.  I bought the ipad based on the User Interface.  In my opinion is has been ruined.

Siri blocks out the entire background, so instead of reading what I need to search for, I have to stop everything, go try and find a pen, go find some paper, write it down, then try it again.

App icons and buttons are now "flat", which basically means they are now dull, with no detail to show what they actually do.

Everything has been whited/greyed out.  Fonts are now super skinny.  Super skinny fonts, white on a light grey background is very difficult on my eyes.  Not to mention when the background turns super bright neon.

When I had android, I tried some different Themes, and some looked cool for a moment, when I added them like a paper theme, it was not useable to me.

I paid for the UI, and now required to change it with no option to stay with the one I viewed as worth paying for.

Imagine you buy a car and they took out your nice interior and switched it to a center console scion interior.  Imagine they take that nice gleaming black and made it a dull grey with neon highlights.

Grow up. It's worlds better than it used to. You wouldn't know a good UI if it hit you in the face.

• Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Grow up. It's worlds better than it used to. You wouldn't know a good UI if it hit you in the face.

ha, nope, it is not.  Used to be able to have a folder full of apps, now they limit that big ipad screen to HALF as many viewable.

What sense does that make to LIMIT it.  Some bits of it might be better, but not the user interface.  Not one bit.  Just because your momma hit you in your face.....

• Reply 17 of 27

Actually loved the original iOS7 upgrade for the added functionality so I was excited to see what 7.1 would bring. Well, it brought some visual changes that I'm not in love with and much shorter battery life on my 4S.... I really hope there's an update fixing the battery life soon :( That said, idk what the iOS7 hate has been all about. Control Center alone was worth the upgrade from 6. While I might consider rolling back from the 7.1 update until they fix the battery life, there's no way I'd roll back to iOS6, even if I could.

• Reply 18 of 27
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    iOS7 growth now probably comes mainly from new devices.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bdj1 wrote: »

Why are you using a public network? On any machine, others could read your data you send over wifi unless it's encrypted
  • Reply 20 of 27
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

In other news, adoption of Google's latest version of Android continues to rise, now at .085%.