Looking for a new walkman

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well my old Sony D-E301 discman is getting too old and it's time for a new one. It has served me well over the years but it only has 10 second ESP and can't play CD-Rs or CD-RWs. Also, it is almost broken from years of wear and tear on it. So alas I venture into the world of G Protection and CD-R/CD-RW! I've been checking out the different Sony since I think Sony makes quality stuff, and I've gone away from the D-EJ721. I noticed the D-CJ01 and I think it's supposed to be out already, but I haven't seen it any stores and some places on the web say it isn't available yet. I like it because the design is awesome and it is an MP3/CD player. Here is a pic:

Does anyone have one of these or know if they are going to be available in stores soon?

Also, if anyone suggests a different walkman I would be happy to check it out.

Is Sony coming out with any new walkmans early next year?

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: TigerWoods99 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    don't want an iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Some people can't afford the $399.

Forgot to mention that I'm not concerned about the crappy headphones they bundle with the player because I have some Sony MDR-CD60 headphones which are pretty good.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    that's unfortunate
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Are you interested only in CD players, or are you looking at MP3 players too?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I think cd players.....I think they are more functional and a lot cheaper/better value. I like that Sony for the slick design and because it has MP3 playback and track-programing.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well I've always had good experiences with Sony products, especially the CD Walkman that I have now and my old Discman. And that is one cool looking player.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Currently, I'm using this slot-load SONY CD player (model D-EJ01), I bought it back in 1999.

This CD player is also pictured in the Apple.com's iBook site as well.

I know CD technology is kind of *old*, but you need it as the basic. Just make sure the player has a optical out port, so that you have transfer songs to the MiniDisc. Just my opinion.

What's I'm looking up next are the following;

All of them feature the CD-TEXT and G-Protection, play well on CD-R. I tried CDRW on my D-EJ01, it did not work. I know a good portable SONY CD player selling in the States is not cheap. :o

Get it online from those import site.

BTW, DVD-Audio and SACD are the future of choice, right? :cool:

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    How sweet.

*erases wishlist and scribbles furiously*
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Niiiiiiiiice what model are those and when are they coming out?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    The first one is model D-EJ01 or D-E01(in Japan), which has been landed since Summer, 1999. SONY USA listed this item as somewhere between 399 to 499 USD last year I guess. Of course, SONY USA charges thing like crazy.

The second model is <a href="http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/products/Models/Library/D-EJ955.html"; target="_blank">D-EJ955</a>, on the market since 10/21/2001. It features CD-TEXT, G-Protection 2mode, 92hrs batteries life [with 2XAA battery], 2 "gum-stick" rechargeable batteries, CDR/RW-friendly, optical-out[MD-Link], and weight 166g, W:135mm, L:135mm, H:15.9mm.

More other new models;

<a href="http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/products/Models/Library/D-EJ855.html"; target="_blank">D-EJ855</a> Similar features as the D-EJ955, but without optical-out[MD-Link] and slightly heavier (172g) and taller (18.2mm).

Released on 11/10/2001.

Last one: <a href="http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/products/Models/Library/D-EJ1000.html"; target="_blank">D-EJ1000</a> Sony claims that this model is the smallest, lightest, and gave you a longest battery life on the portable CD market (As of 10/2001) W:127mm L:136.2mm H:13.9mm and weight 129g. 115hrs batteries life[with 2XAA batteries]. Indeed, this model uses the NH-14WM, Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries 1400mAh (same as the first D-EJ01/D-E01 model). Other two models are using the NC-6WM type battery.

Ok, I don't think SONY USA carry these new toys yet. So, you have to buy it as import. Last time, I went to this online store, Hyperjack, and bought a pair of SONY earbud headphone (MDR-E888SP) as well as 5 Blank SONY 80mins ES MiniDisc. It shipped right from Japan and arrived it around 10days via the regular EMS. Here is the <a href="http://www.hyperjack.net/discman.htm"; target="_blank">CD players list price</a> at their site. Their <a href="http://www.hyperjack.net/"; target="_blank">main page</a>.

Hope it will help you to make the decision. :cool:

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Japan gets the coolest gadgets.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Japan gets the coolest gadgets.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I wish we got a lot of the cool stuff that Japan has.