Japanese court says Apple's iPhones, iPads don't infringe on Samsung patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Apple has once again defeated rival Samsung in the courtroom, this time in Japan, where it was ruled that the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 do not infringe on data communication patents owned by the South Korean electronics giant.

The decision was handed down on Tuesday by Tokyo District Court Judge Koji Hasegawa, who ruled that Apple will not have to pay damages to Samsung Electronics, because its devices do not infringe on Samsung's patents. In response, Samsung issued a statement to Bloomberg saying it was "disappointed" by the decision.

"Upon a thorough review of the ruling, we will determine which measures to take, including an appeal," the company said.

Apple and Samsung have been at odds in courtrooms across the globe for years, with each accusing the other of patent infringement. So far it's been Apple who's found the most success, having been awarded more than $900 million in one U.S. trial alone after successfully proving that Samsung had copied the patented designs of the iPhone and iPad for its own competing devices.

In Japan, court cases between Apple and Samsung date back to 2011, with each having sued the other for alleged patent infringement. Both sides have earned victories over one another, though Apple may have scored the most significant victory last June, when a Tokyo court found that Samsung had infringed on the iPhone maker's "rubber banding" or "bounce back" patent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Lol
  • Reply 2 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hooray for lawsuits! (I'm only half kidding)
  • Reply 3 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It always hits me that in all this dislike of Scamsung, at the end of the day, when handed a total iOS rip off by Google, their designs inevitably had to be pretty similar to an iPhone. The evil is really Google, and always has been.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

How can Samsung claim copyrite when all they ever do is copy Apple?  They should make Samsung pay for all of Apple's lawyers! Just look at the picture of Samsung before the iPhone and Samsung after the iPhone.  It is very clear who the copycat is here and Apple did nothing wrong.

Samsung should be punished for this.

• Reply 5 of 21
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hooray for lawsuits! (I'm only half kidding)

It'll just go to another appeal. The only winners here are Samsung and Apple's legal teams.

• Reply 6 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

It'll just go to another appeal. The only winners here are Samsung and Apple's legal teams.

You're right...this will continue to go on for years most likely. 

• Reply 7 of 21
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I thought Samsung was a pure virgin company that never sued anyone!
    My world is shattered.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Courts to Sammy: bug off.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I assume this is a case Sammy jerk sues Apple, so how the fxxk could those sob appeal when they lost? Either the author is injeting an illogical self opinion or Japan's legal process is crazy.
  • Reply 10 of 21

Japan and USA are the two countries where Apple will never lose any lawsuit against SAMSUNG.

Japan: seething hatred for anything Korean

USA: protectionism and religious worship of Apple and its shiny gadgets

• Reply 11 of 21
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Monkey see, monkey do.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Upon a thorough review of the ruling, we will determine which measures to take, including an appeal," the company said.

Monkey see, monkey do.

But really, Samsung *has* to at least go through the motions of counter-suing Apple and all that.

Because if they didn't try to counter-attack, even feebly, they'd be admitting guilt.

Saving face is big in Asia.

• Reply 12 of 21
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trolldown12 View Post

Japan and USA are the two countries where Apple will never lose any lawsuit against SAMSUNG.

So sue us.

Oh wait... they already tried.

Never mind.

(But no, there's no "seething hatred for anything Korean" in Japan.  Just kimchi.  Think of it this way: there are perhaps 100,000 cultural artifacts in Japan, in museums and private collections, that were taken from Korea when it was a colony of the Japanese Empire.)

• Reply 13 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So sue us.

Oh wait... they already tried.

Never mind.

Remember, it’s ConradJoe. Report all instances of the psychopath.

• Reply 14 of 21
    I mean I understand that tablets and smartphones were already out before the iPhone and iPad came out but here's the thing they didn't look like the iPhone or iPad did and as son as those came out Samsung and Google felt threatened so they decided to make aesthetically similar products google with android and samscum with their phones
  • Reply 15 of 21

• Reply 16 of 21
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Who is this ConradJoe
  • Reply 17 of 21
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

What!? Is there no one here to claim that there must have been a Japanese-American judge presiding? I'm shocked! 

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It always hits me that in all this dislike of Scamsung, at the end of the day, when handed a total iOS rip off by Google, their designs inevitably had to be pretty similar to an iPhone. The evil is really Google, and always has been.

Will be funny when Samsung turns on Google with Tizen and their own Google-esque services.  Goodbye Android's only market share that matters (the people who are actually willing to spend a little money as well as do online stuff).

Sidenote: Are we allowed to say "Scamsung" on this forum?  If so, AWESOME!  The MacRumors mods get their panties in a serious twist if you denigrate Samsung, Google, Microsoft, or anyone but Apple for that matter (denigrating Apple on that site is fine by them).  Glad I've found a new home!  :)

• Reply 19 of 21
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Will be funny when Samsung turns on Google with Tizen and their own Google-esque services.  Goodbye Android's only market share that matters (the people who are actually willing to spend a little money as well as do online stuff).

Sidenote: Are we allowed to say "Scamsung" on this forum?  If so, AWESOME!  The MacRumors mods get their panties in a serious twist if you denigrate Samsung, Google, Microsoft, or anyone but Apple for that matter (denigrating Apple on that site is fine by them).  Glad I've found a new home!  :)

Personally I'd prefer it if we didn't denigrate company. 

• Reply 20 of 21
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Samsung lost again. No company is infringing on Samsung's "patents". Samsung is infringing on many patents belonging to many companies.