Is it a good time to buy an iMac or worth waiting for a 2014 model?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2014

My birthday is coming up and I have been toying with the idea of buying a new Mac to replace my aging hackintosh desktop.

I was considering a fully up specc'ed build to order iMac i7 with SSD, but now I am wondering if it would be best to wait until later in the year for a 2014 edition since it's possibly be over half way through it's life when I come to buy. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    There is always a newer higher-specification model coming. However, most new models are evolutionary advances. If a revolutionary Mac is coming, then there will be some anticipation of it. We may not know [I]what[/I] the revolutionary new Mac will be, but we will know [I]that[/I] it will be. This was the case of the Power Mac G5 and the new black canister Mac Pro. It was also the case of the Intel-based Macs.

You appear to be set on a new iMac. iMacs have seen only evolutionary changes for the better part of a decade. I don't expect this situation to change anytime soon. Therefore, I recommend that you determine the highest specification iMac that you can afford. Then about 10% over that.

You can expect your new iMac to give faithful service for the better part of a decade.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Why the new i Mac now it is only slight modifications when their new models come out.

• Reply 3 of 3
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

The wait for 4K really isn't a huge problem, but the fact that the current iMac doesn't have Thunderbolt 2 may become an issue later.