M$ Settlement = Perverse & Sick

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Couldn't see this thread anywhere so I thought I'd start it.

Microsoft, the company that never innovated anything, killed and mutilated all its comptitors, was found guilty of illegal monopolistic practises

GET OFF WITH SUPPLYING FREE - A BILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF ITS HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE TO SCHOOLS

WTF? really WTF?

Now I know that the schools are free to spend some of the money on non-M$ products, and that a billion $ of software is a smallish percentage of the total $ amount spent on suchlike in the US, I also don't begrudge schools of receiving an IT boost.

BUT...

What this really boils down too is the fact that M$ have been forced to do some MARKETING.

How the hell is this justice for all the companies they illegally sh1t on from a great height. How does this redeem companies such as Netscape? How the Hell is this justice for bullying Apple to drop Quicktime with the Office stick?

Congratulations M$, Not only have you FVCKED the Computer industry, as punishment you get to increase your market and FVCK the competition some more.

I wish someone would fly a (unmanned) FVCKING 767 straight up your back passage.

Very sorry for the profanity.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Darn, you made the thread before me. For those wondering an article <a href="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5099876,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01"; target="_blank">here at ZDNet</a> lays it out somewhat cleanly.

The knee jerk reaction by myself was similar to the above but without a lot of the profanity. However I have a question for anyone who has read the PROPOSED settlement. How open ended is the software and hardware money? It seems that one could buy Apple coputers with the money but only get free windows OS software for PC's? Anyone know the real scoop or got a link to the proposal?

It seems that the schools could be allowed to buy Mac's and put Office X v.10 or whatever MS calls it on them for free since it is MS Software. If this is not the case I think the setllement should be rethought. Anything that involves only expanding the OS base of MS is not a punishment. It is a reward for abusing monopoly power. Am I suprised this is what MS came up with, no. Should they be allowed to go foreward the way it stands, depends on what the actual settlement says. If it is open ended and allows schools to get what they want, then that may be fine. If it is only partially open then they should be sent back to the drawing board.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I've been digging some more. Aparently $260million is accounted for by 1million Free licences for Windows. Full stop. Add into that the several tens of millions $ of free technical support, I guess much of that will go on tech support for windows. And the biggie.. This deal is for 5 years. After that the will have to pay for upgrades. Well thats 1 million PC's that will have to pay for an upgrade. That equalls several hundred million dollars (of punishment!) of upgrade payments 5 years down the line. By which time there will be no alternative OS's to run anyway.

Of those 1 million PC's running windows, how much of the remaining money do you think will be spent on non-M$ alternatives. I think there is more chance alot of complementary M$ software will be bought as well ie Office etc which will all need upgrading in 5 years time, more M$ dollars.

Do you really think that these schools are going to be given 1 million PC's and then go buy some macs complete with non-M$ software. Wake UP!

M$ may be forced to spend a billion, but that will all be recouped within 5-7 years, I can't believe that this is punishment for all their crimes.

And hey, no profanity!

Marcus