This is dedicated to Murbot

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Murbot. Hats off to you. You are nuts

You have had switched too many machine in the last 18 months and I can't remember how many you really have had.

All I remember:

Pismo 400

Cube

PowerBook G4 400

PowerMac Digital Audio 533

iMac DV SE

iBook with combo drive

QuickSilver 867

PowerBook G4 667

....and so on....

The only thing that really lasts on your desk is the soundstick

The funny thing is that everytime when you get the machine you say it's good enough for your need (I don't know what your need is btw ) and the machine should last for a few years. And then two months later you get a new one!

If I was the sales person who does business with you I think I would be the top sales person of the year!

Oh....are you rich? If you are would you be kind enough to donate some to me?

I also wonder why doesn't your wife kill you

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've often wondered those exact things too!

I've never seen one person bounce from each Apple product IN SUCH A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME!

Murbot has owned more cool Macs in the past year or so than I will my entire life. I've been using Macs for almost 8 years now and am only on my second one!

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 80
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Me...

1997 Spring - Performa 5200

1998 Spring - Beige G3 233 DT

1999 Winter - Yikes G4 400

2000 Summer - Sawtooth G4 450 and Pismo 400(sold this June due to extreme financial problem )

2001 Summer - DP 500

The gap between the two machines are rougly 1 year (or even close to two years) with the exception of the Yike-&gt;Sawtooth case which was 7 months.

But to Murbot...he switched machines THREE TIMES in 7 months! Isn't it amazing??? :eek:

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 80
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]PowerMac Digital Audio 533<hr></blockquote>

I belive it was a G4 466 not 533.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You're right EmAn, it was a 466. And it's just a lowly 550 MHz Ti....

Geez, you guys can never just leave me alone... I'll have to stop posting about my computer swapping.

I don't know what my problem is, I think I'm just hooked on the excitement of shopping for a new Mac, ordering it, and setting it up. I think I'd be better getting a job doing this sometimes.

I'm back in the same boat now, BTW. I just sold this PowerBook.

&lt;insert earplugs&gt;

I got a great deal on it from a dealer here (I guess so - I buy so many damn Macs from the guy I should be getting a deal) so I made some money selling it.

Oh, I don't know why I sold it exactly. Possibly my compulsive need to swap Macs everytime I fill up the car with gas. I don't know. Could be that I just set up an iBook for a guy last week and I loved it. Damn screen was twice as bright as this Ti Book. It also felt faster than my Ti, much to my chagrin. I only had time to do a few things, but booting up, starting apps, and just "cruising around" the OS seemed zippier on the iBook. So I threw up an auction and low and behold, it sold for a great price.

I figure I will have the cheque here next Tuesday. I've got that much time to decide on my next computer purchase. Any advice?

I was thinking of starting that thread I was always going to start, of all my setups. I think I'll use this one. Hope you don't mind a few big images.....

Check back in a bit.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 80
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I figure I will have the cheque here next Tuesday. I've got that much time to decide on my next computer purchase. Any advice?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait until January. We're bound to see some sort of lovely new hardware coming from Uncle Steve's direction

J
  • Reply 6 of 80
    murbot has his own page on the Setups website.

check it out in case you missed some of them.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/macnnsetups"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/macnnsetups</a>;
  • Reply 7 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by jamiemarshall:

<strong>

Wait until January. We're bound to see some sort of lovely new hardware coming from Uncle Steve's direction

J</strong><hr></blockquote>

He doesn't have to wait until then. By the time January comes he'll be ready to sell whatever he gets now.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    murbot, why don't you get an iBook since you said it seems faster than the TiBook and you love the sharpness of the screen.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Today's consumer-grade Macs are as fast as last year's pforessinaonl ones. Get a modern imac and be happy.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    OK. I'll try to get through this before the end of the day. *sigh*

Mac #1

Pismo PowerBook G3 400, DVD, 6 GB HD, 192 MB RAM

I had this PowerBook from February 2000 to November 2000. The longest I've ever had a Mac! A great computer, and I've often wished I had kept it. However, the hinges were getting a little loose, and the latch had a small crack in it that I was afraid would grow. These things, and the new Cube that just came out, were enough to get me to sell.

Mac #2

450 MHz G4 Cube, DVD, 20 GB HD, 384 MB RAM

I think I had the Cube for about 2 months or so. Decent computer, but it had it's share of problems. It had the problem of shutting itself off all the time, which I fixed with a few pieces of Post-In Note stuck on the underside of the switch. Actually that's was kind of cool - I could customize the button's colour. The hard drive whined like a sonofabitch and I had it replaced. The replacement didn't whine, but the clicking was twice as loud as the first one. I wasn't too impressed with the 17" Apple CRT either - so back to eBay I go.

Mac #3

400 MHz Titanium PowerBook G4, DVD, 10 GB HD, 384 MB RAM

I guess I was feeling rich, as at the time I really couldn't afford this laptop. I grabbed one off eBay in an impulsive moment. I only had it a very short time, and it was back to eBay. Luckily they were still in high demand, as they weren't shipping in any great volume at the time, and I made a hundred bucks selling it.

Mac #4

600 MHz Graphite iMac, CD-RW, 40 GB HD, 384 MB RAM

Decided to cheap out a little and get an iMac. I thought it was a great machine, but I guess after having a 17" display, then having the large Ti display, the iMac's little screen pissed me off. I gave it an eviction notice and went shopping.

Mac #5

466 MHz G4 PowerMac with 15" LCD, CD-RW, 30 GB HD, 384 MB RAM

I loved the PowerMac, and the display was awesome. Unfortunately I was only one Mac away from having owned every Mac in the product matrix, so the poor G4 was shipped out to make room for an iBook.

Mac #6

500 MHz iBook, CD-RW/DVD, 10 GB HD, 384 MB RAM

I liked the iBook, and the ability to surf the net while on the throne. (I knew those old TV tables would get some use one day...) I was getting into the MP3 thing though, and that little 10 GB drive was pissing me off. Sorry Ice, time to go..

• Reply 11 of 80
    Mac #7

867 MHz G4 with 17" LCD, CD-RW, 60 GB HD, 768 MB RAM

Wow, this thing rocks. And the display is amazing. Damn, what are those on the display? Dead pixels. Hmmm. Also had a few bad things financially going on which I won't get into, decided I don't need this much horsepower. I mean, those iMacs are only a few bucks more than the price of this 17" display. iMac? I've already had one of those. Ah, what the hell...

Mac #8

600 MHz Graphite iMac, CD-RW, 40 GB HD, 512 MB RAM

&lt;no picture available of iMac #2&gt;

Yeah, this is cool. The little iMac is a great computer. This baby got alot of work, and ran like a champ. What's that? New Ti Book? Say, those are swell....

Mac #9

550 MHz Titanium PowerBook G4, DVD, 20 GB HD, 512 MB RAM

Coooooooool. These are nice machines, that's for sure. But damn, no CD-RW drive. Hmmmm. I'll get one for Christmas. Well, that would mean keeping this until then... what are the chances of THAT happening? Let's see if eBay is still up. Godamn obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sorry Ti, I can't help myself.

Damn. I have to buy a new Mac. What to buy, what to buy.... maybe a cheapo somethingorother I can keep permanently while I'm swapping my other Macs.

Or maybe I'll just stay away from computers for a little while. Yeah, that's it, and get some therapy. Definitely get some therapy.

• Reply 12 of 80
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yeah get a G5

But then after two weeks of use you will say it's overkill...then you will sell it off ebay and get the LCD iMac

You really show how stupid those people who bid on ebay
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Wow, I never knew you had a 2nd iMac, murbot.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    I say get a 400mhz iMac DV SE on ebay and use that as your permanent computer and have fun swapping
  • Reply 15 of 80
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    How about you sell your TiBook and get a nice comfortable chair and a therapist?

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: MacAddict ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>How about you sell your TiBook and get a nice comfortable chair and a therapist?

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: MacAddict ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's a good idea
  • Reply 17 of 80
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm going to add this page to my scrap book so that I can convince myself I'm not crazy for having 3 notebooks in 1 1/2 years. It's all relative BTW, murbot, I've got my masters in clinical psychology (soon to be a phd) and I'd be willing to trade my services for that nice Ti
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Hey Murbot long time no see! How's it going??!!

I'm not really surprised to see that your almost on #10!

My prediction is you'll buy one of those new iBooks. I think this one my actually last until the end of the year, and at MWSF you'll buy one of those new G5s.

But after a while you say to yourself, "Man, I don't need all this horsepower. I need to get one of them LCD iMacs."

So you get one of those. But, you get ticked at the 1024x768 resolution so you decide to buy a PowerBook G4 (by then there'll be a new revision, I'm thinking MacWorld Tokyo in Feb.)

That one will last you maybe 3 months. I can't see any farther into the future than that.

Oh yeah, if you're not sure what to get, I'd be willing to offer my services to you. You can buy me whatever your thinking of getting, and if you've only narrowed them down to say...4 machines, then you can get those, send them to me, and I'll use them for a while, and then I'll recommend one for you.

You can then buy whichever one I recommend. Then, in a few months we'll do this again because you'll be bored. hehehe.

Hey, better yet, get everyone here at AppleInsider a comp, we'll all "test" it out to see which you'd prefer

Good to hear from you again mur.

PS, maybe you should get one of those iPods. I bet that's one thing that'll outlast any Mac you'll get.

Also, you can backup your all-important files with its 5 GB Hard Drive (who has 5 GB of MP3s anyway?) and then transfer the stuff onto your machine-of-the-month.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: MacsKickAss ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 80
    MacsKickAss, that sounds good. Hopefully murbot will like that idea.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    he has (or is in the process of getting) an iPod.