POLL: Which platform does your school/company use?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My school is all-Mac. Woohoo!

This thread is for people from Mac organizations to crow and for people from Windows environments can announce themselves so we can laugh at them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    My university was running Windows 95 PCs on a NetWare network until this year, when they started to switch over to Windows 2000.

There's nary a Mac in sight apart from my iMac, iBook and this cute girl down the hall with her LC 575.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    PCs several years old trying to run W2000. school just raised funs to buy new PCs.

we have several PowerMac G3s (beige) that the state gave us and apparantly the school used to be mac filled because there are still some LCs and Apple IIes laying around
  • Reply 3 of 34
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    My school is all Dells. My Jr. High School had some IBMs and had about 10 Blue and White G3s and also some G3 All-In-Ones. Also, the computer lab had about 28 Blueberry iMac 350's (the 1st slot-loaders) and a couple of 400 MHz DV SEs. My elementry school was all Macs. The computer lab had 30something G3 All-In-Ones and the classrooms had some older Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Mostly Dells, with pretty much all newer OptiPlex's.

There's a few AV studios that have dual headed G4 systems and the like for serious use.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Unix server-based MRP system, plus a Win NT server for mail and file sharing, and a desktop Windows PC (with terminal emulation to access the Unix stuff) in every office.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    My school is about half-and-half, although I think it leans a little to the Mac side. We even have a lab full of SuperDrive equipped 733 G4s (pre-quicksilver).
  • Reply 7 of 34
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    School

We Have have 3 labs of custom built PCs + another 50 units or so scattered about the building. They are all running Win2K (i think, maybe 98) They all have Fortress security software, but everyone knows the password to disable it. The good news is that one of the teachers (he has a TiBook ) is really pushing for at least a few iMacs for fine arts, media, and newspaper. I don't think i'm going to see this however cause i'm graduating in May.

Work

I work at a one hour photo lab so we have one PC running WinNT to make photoCDs and disks. We also have a PowerMac that we use for Digital retouching, reprints w/o negatives, and Photoshop work. (Did you know most of those kodak kiosk things you see in CVS for copying pictures are macs?). Otherwise we run a proprietary <a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/tcm.html?x-tempest-op=generic&CategoryId=68&pagetype=UserTypeCategory Home&GoToFocus=1" target="_blank">FujiOS</a> on our printers.

[edit: URL error]

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 34
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by nonhuman:

<strong>My school is about half-and-half, although I think it leans a little to the Mac side. We even have a lab full of SuperDrive equipped 733 G4s (pre-quicksilver).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Lucky. I wish my school had G4s, especially G4s with SuperDrives.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    My school is filled with no-name crappy 133 MHz Pentium MMX computers running Windows 98. I hate it!

One classroom (I think architecture and maybe a computer language or computer science classroom) is filled with blue iMac DVs. They are fairly new and I noticed in the back room of my english classroom a graphite iMac (classroom with iMacs is right next door).

Also, there is a Dual 800 Quicksilver in one room, but I couldn't get into that room.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    the college, school of foreign service, med and law schools all are "whatever you wanna do. they'll support anything, short of linux.

me, in the business school... windows 2000 mandatory to connect to Novell shares and GroupWise email.

Fizzuck that! I personally had a meeting with the business school tech director to show him my PowerBook, hooking into the shares, printing on the novell shared printers, and using Novell-delivered applications in VPC.

the look on his face, needless to say, was absolute astonishment.

Maclot? You betcha.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>the look on his face, needless to say, was absolute astonishment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should have gotten pictures.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    my university is pretty much half and half.....there is a "computer lab" (if it can be called that) that is filled with macs.....the lab is in an old Roses (like kmart) and the entire room is filled with probably g450 PM with the old studio display.......we're talking maybe a thousand macs loaded with edu software and all that shit....unfortunately, they all run OS9, the lab is about a mile off campus and the buses to get there suck ass, but the whole (nearly) lab is filled with macs

however, there are a lot of PCs......nearly all the students (required to have a pc) have PCs, but that doesn't bother me cause my setup (pismo 500, iPod) is SOOOOOOOOO much better than their's!!!!!!! the sad thing is that if people only knew how much better macs were, there would be a lot of converts.....oh well......My computer is better than theirs!

oh, and i have a RELIABLE OS (OS X 10.1.1)!!!!!!!! take that Windoz 2000, and that shitty looking WinXP!!!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'd say about 60/40 Dell/Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    At work they are replacing all the old Compaq's with iMacs. 12 of them to be exact. I just got a 800mhz G4 to play with at work
  • Reply 15 of 34
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    School I attend?? How about school at which I teach...

I am THE tech guy which means what I say goes. I even got our district tech department to back down on an all PC requirement. (They caught serious hell from me and several other tech teachers)

Our school is 95% Mac. The PC's we have are for the district office and their required software.

Within the last 18 months I have personally had the pleasure of ordering 35+ iMacs, 6 iBooks and 6 airports for our wireless networking.

Apple has treated us exceptionally well and tossed in a HP laserprinter and a free Canon ZR25 digital camcorder with our last order. (12 iMacs and 6 ibooks)

During the summer when I ordered the iMacs, we caught a price break and got them for $699 each. Savings of over $2500 from what we were originally expecting.

The iMacs are perfect for schools, quiet, small, low upkeep, and they come with good software bundles, especially Appleworks. (Looks good when your machines all have office type apps and Microsoft has the hounds out hunting down their own customers to hit them up for more cash)

I personally hope Apple keeps the prices down and upgrades the graphics of the current iMac. It is a great little machine. If it were still $799 and included a cd-r and say geforce2mx with 32 megs, it would be a hot little computer.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 34
    This school (university)'s computer labs are nearly all new Dell Optiplex GX110's running Windows 2000. There are a few Macs here and there (mostly in art dept.).

[quote]oh, and i have a RELIABLE OS (OS X 10.1.1)!!!!!!!! take that Windoz 2000, and that shitty looking WinXP!!!!!!!<hr></blockquote>

What is this 'Windoz 2000'? I've never heard of it. It must be some imaginary product; it's certainly not an enterprise-class operating system like Windows 2000 is.

Here's a question for you to answer, FUD-boy: Why would Unisys sell systems built with up to 32 Pentium III Xeons and 64GB of RAM on Windows 2000 Datacenter Server if it wasn't reliable? And why would corporations purchase said systems if they weren't capable of "Five Nines" uptime, which they damn nearly are, if not are outright?

<a href="http://www.unisys.com/hw/servers/es7000/overview.asp"; target="_blank">Unisys ES7000 overview</a>

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: TheAlmightyBabaramm ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    work: 110% Dell with a mix of WinNT 4 and *starting* to implement Win2k. Funny how they are just BARELY getting warm to Win2k and now XP comes out. People are going ballistic with the frikken mickey mouse interface thinking they have been given candy-land OS.

The expressions of fear are just too great... hehehe. I'm still stuck with a 366P2 NT4 laptop... but managed to hitch a 19inch flat trinitron monitor to add to my docking station. If and when I get an iBook/TiBook I'll bring that to work too (bloody peasants).
  • Reply 18 of 34
    I work as the web designer/Graphic artist at a construction plans room. I am THE lone mac user in the office. I was lucky enough that I am able to bring in my iBook 500 every day and they just bought me a 733 G4 Quicksilver to work on. I'm surrounded by Win98 PC's for the general grunts and Win2K for my bosses. All the servers are running 2K. Luckily my boss is horribly offended by XP so we won't be seeing that any time soon.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Shouldn't the topic be Survey ?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My university actually has both Mac and PC for their computer labs and offices. I would say, though that total use ends up being 80% PC, 20% Mac if you factored in EVERY university computer.

In the computer labs, their machines range from Lime iMacs (350Mhz G3?) running OS 8.6 to 400Mhz PowerMac G4's running OS 9.0.4 for Macs (only one of the 3 labs on campus have Macs, BTW) and I dunno, 500Mhz Celeron's w/ WinNT 4 to 1.? Ghz Pentium 4's with Win2000 Professional (all Dell)

You can tell Macs aren't as high a priority, but they keep them decent enough to do what most everyone needs. I will say that the various departments have their scatterings of more powerful Macs (such as the Graphic Design Dept, etc.) all the way up to the 867Mhz Quicksilvers.

As a side note, our Avid at KMOS-TV (univ. TV station) where I work is still a PowerMac 9500 with a 200Mhz 604. I'd say we need an upgrade.