MacWeek Magazine: Bold Statement?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think the magazine was MacWeek in which a contributing writer laid out his guesses for Mac happenings in 2002. He said that he predicts that Steve Jobs steps down as CEO because, "everyone knows he is the man already, he has nothing to prove anymore." The writer goes on to say that, 'Jobs has no need to continue as CEO because he saved the ship but he might not want to hang around while it rots", or something to that affect.

I am sickened that a Mac "VOICE" such as this magazine would say something so outrageous. Why? Jobs is a mystery and for anyone to guess his future plans and to sound hauty while doing so is not fit to be a journalist. I am 16 for gods sake and I know I dont have the ignorance to proclaim such a wild twist in the long and enduring drama that is Steve Jobs' life story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I think for Jobs the fun is just starting. He saved the ship, but now it's time to play. I bet that most of his more grandiose ideas are just now coming to fruition. OS X, the G5, things like the iPod....it's all going to start coming together and before long Apple will be a new kind of computer company, very original in design and purpose, and something only Steve Jobs could have imagined.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>The writer goes on to say that, 'Jobs has no need to continue as CEO because he saved the ship but he might not want to hang around while it rots", or something to that affect. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I think most of us would agree that there are some people that are good at getting things started or simply fixed, but for the long term they don't have what it takes.

I however, don't feel SJ is one of those people. He's staying. There's not enough going on at Pixar worth leaving Apple for (though Monsters, Inc. was very good)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Steve said he had one more computer left in him.

A lot of people thought that was the iMac. But the iMac is just the original Mac revisited. It's not a new computer.

I think he meant platform.

In that case, he's definitely in for the long haul.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    From the horse's mouth:

I feel like somebody just punched me in the stomach and knocked all my wind out. I'm only 30 years old and I want to have a chance to continue creating things. I know I've got at least one more great computer in me. And Apple is not going to give me a chance to do that. -Steve Jobs after being stripped of his operational role at Apple

The trouble with Apple is it succeeded beyond its wildest dreams. We succeeded so well, we got everyone else to dream the same dream. The rest of the world became just like it. The trouble is, the dream didn't evolve. Apple Stopped creating. -Steve Jobs

You know, I've got a plan that could rescue Apple. I can't say any more than that it's the perfect product strategy for Apple. But nobody there will listen to me. -Steve Jobs, NeXT and Pixar CEO

The cure for Apple is not cost-cutting. The cure for Apple is to innovate its way out of its current predicament. -Steve Jobs, NeXT and Pixar CEO

Without Jobs, Apple is just another Silicon Valley company, and without Apple, Jobs is just another Silicon Valley millionaire. -Nick Arnett Tech Journalist

If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth ... and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago. -Steve Jobs 1996

We've reviewed the road map of new products and axed more than 70 percent of them, keeping the 30 percept that were gems. The product teams at Apple are very excited. There's so much low-hanging fruit, it's easy to turn around. -Steve Jobs, iCEO

Nobody has tried to swallow us since I've been here. I think they are afraid how we would taste. -Steve Jobs on Apple being acquired by another company in 1998

Some people worry about the word "interim," but they weren't worried about the last CEO, and he wasn't interim. -Steve Jobs, iCEO

In a meeting with some prospective engineers in the fall of 1997, Jobs was asked how long he planned to stay at Apple, to which he replied:

I'm either going to be CEO or chairman of the company forever. I turned Apple over to a bozo once.

When asked again in mid-1998 he said:

Several months ago, I woke up and decided that ... I will do as best I can for as long as I can and not worry about what other people think. My focus is on my family, Apple, and Pixar, in that order.

Most quotes were found and related verbatim from Apple CONFIDENTIAL by Owen W. Linzmayer
  • Reply 5 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Bogie, thanks for posting those quotes. They were interesting to read.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I hope Jobs does stay. Jobs does have a grand vission that has not been fully implemented yet. Cant wait for it to be though! :cool:
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ac2cac2c Posts: 60member
    The good and the bad is that Steve is Apple and Apple is Steve. It is his vision that makes Apple what it is. Now his management style sometimes leaves a little to be desired, but his belief in his vision has never wavered. Without Steve there might be an Apple, but it wouldn't be the same Apple. Hopefully he is there for the long run, even if I sometimes disagree with him. :cool:
  • Reply 8 of 10
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Bogie I love that book! It has a reserved place on my nightside table.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    here's a question i have been trying to get answered for a while, and the people in this thread may know it...

there's a steve jobs quote that i used to have hanging in my cubicle at an old job. it didn't win me any friends, but i loved it, and now i can't seem to find it, or reference to it. it is something like "it's not about the money... it's about the people you have, and how much you get it."

anyone know what the accurate quote is? i'd appreciate it. i work at a new company that needs to see that quote tacked ont he wall for a while...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Thanks guys, glad you liked em.

Jobs is a very interesting man, the biography "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" that came out last year was very well done. And the fact that he tried to stop it even though it was a positive take on him tells you a lot. He does not want to be talked about except in the manner he chooses. Which I respect as I don't think any of us down deep feel any differently.