Apple should spice up their advertising

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"Pro Create" "Presenting iMac" these are examples of the way Apple advertises their computers. We may hate it but people love Steven the Dell Whore. Apple shouldn't do this but, in my opinion, Apple needs to spice up their advertising while at the same time keep it sort of how it is now.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    That's a cool ad. Though the word mofo may draw some heat.....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I like the ad but I don't like the case design.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Will Newsweek print that?

I love it. "Pithy" you could call it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No, it's guttery slang and only makes Apple look desperate or TRYING to be "cool".

Isn't classy or slick and I don't want the Mountain Dew/"Extreme" approach to mar an otherwise cool operation.

Apple can (and should) do better.

In addition to being in questionable taste, it makes bad business sense because I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of people Apple IS aiming to please and lure DON'T talk that way or think it's cool. And we have money.

Sure, some 14-year-olds or whatever might dig on it and think it's all that, but they're usually not BUYING the stuff anyway.

So...

I do kinda dig the case design, in a weird way. It's growing on me. But deep-six the crude, tacky hipster jargon because it won't fly.

I'd be embarrassed, to be honest.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    The last thing I want is for Apple to sound like they hired Sammy Hagar as their marketing director.

• Reply 6 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]No, it's guttery slang and only makes Apple look desperate or TRYING to be "cool".<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you're probably right but it'd least it'd be better than when Dell or Microsoft tries to be cool.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Think about this: Steve Jobs, by merely walking out on stage at a Macworld keynote, gets more applause and response than anything that idiot Ballmer could muster with all his aerobic efforts.

Am I right? Steve comes out with his clicker and a bottle of water and the joint goes absolutely bonkers for 4 straight minutes...and he doesn't break a sweat or do one single dance step. Nor does he lead the crowd in an "iPod, iPod, iPod..." chant.

The other guy? He damn near kills himself on stage in front of hundreds of people, only to be rewarded with polite, "Jesus, I really feel sorry for this pathetic dork, but he's trying...so let's clap anyway..." applause.

Apple has to realize this (I'm sure they do) and know that they already own the cool factor and that they don't have to go to such lengths to seem as cool as others have to.

That should carry over to their whole approach to marketing and so forth.

Where they slip up and fail is, by being perhaps a bit TOO understated and serious, most of the non-Mac-using public isn't quite sure what the deal is or know about the nitty gritty of Apple and their products.

They have the "talk softly" part of the equation down pat. What I'd like to see them do is to augment that by start swinging a big, eye-opening stick and making everyone else out there who ISN'T a Mac user give the platform some long-awaited SERIOUS consideration.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Okay, maybe the wording isn't very appropriate for some audiences. But Apple should do different ads for different people. Like make a cooler ad and put it in a teen magazine. Put ads like the current ones in computer magazines. They just need to not have one type of ad. Many people see a G4 ad with "Pro Create" and they are like, "what the hell?"
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]They just need to not have one type of ad. Many people see a G4 ad with "Pro Create" and they are like, "what the hell?"<hr></blockquote>True... This could be an instance where "thinking differently" is hurting Apple.

They used the phrase "5 down, 95 to go." If thinking differently got the attention of 5%, maybe thinking not so differently could capture the other 95%?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Exactly! Think Different when it comes to hardware but when it comes to advertising, their ads only appeal (for the most part) to the existing mac users who already know about Apple products.