Drobo adds enhanced support for Apple's Time Machine in new storage system

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2014
Popular bring-your-own-drive external storage company Drobo announced an update its flagship 4-bay unit Wednesday, making it faster and easier for Mac users to back up to the device using Time Machine.

Drobo

Using a special configuration setting, users of the third-generation Drobo can now dedicate a customizable percentage of their overall storage pool to Time Machine. That is a significant step up from Drobo's previous solution which required owners to manually partition their Drobo using OS X's Disk Utility.

Time Machine backups will also take less time to complete as the new Drobo sports speedier USB 3.0 I/O.

Additionally, Drobo has taken steps to enhance its data protection scheme. The unit now features a built-in battery that will continue to drive the write caches in the event of a power failure, and the array can be rebuilt four times faster than the previous-generation Drobo should a disk stop working.

The new 4-bay Drobo is available now for preorder directly from Drobo for $349. Owners of first- or second-generation Drobo units can receive a $50 discount if they purchase a third-generation Drobo before June 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    My QNAP NAS does't cost much more and has had the ability to allocate space to TimeMachine through its web interface for years. The battery backup is kind of nice but I have mine plugged in to a UPS as I would expect most people would so that really is not a benefit that I see.

I'm sure it is a good product as I hear of lots of people using the Drobo but just be sure to weigh your options.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Ugliest thing I ever saw.  Think I will buy 4.  I can't wait to spray paint it yellow and green for Oregon Ducks.  

Oh?!  

Do I hear plethora'l thoughts coming my way in a intellectually orchestrated and punctually designed metaphorical retort?

Oregon Ducks are a good team.  Okay lets hear it.  

• Reply 3 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Ugliest thing I ever saw.

For a cube it's not unattractive, but does that really matter when it's designed to neither be seen nor heard?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ugliest thing I ever saw.  Think I will buy 4.  I can't wait to spray paint it yellow and green for Oregon Ducks.  

Oh?!  

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Do I hear plethora'l thoughts coming my way in a intellectually</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> orchestrated and punctually designed metaphorical retort?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Oregon Ducks are a good team.  Okay lets hear it.  </span>

Don't forget to slap a Nike swoosh to it as well.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    As an owner of the painfully slow 1st and 2nd gen units, I'm delighted to hear this news. Finally have a reasonable option to retire my old units and enjoy some speed with my big(ish) data stores. Well done on giving a little credit to early supporters of the company.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Hmm... Looking up on website...I'm new to this type of drive. What's the storage?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

The storage is user-supplied disk drives. You choose the quantity, size (capacity), type (traditional rotational disk or SSD), and RAID implementation (if so desired).

The Drobo has some added functionality compared to plain old multi-bay enclosures, their website will explain that, but the basic concept (multiple drives in one case) is ancient.

• Reply 8 of 21
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Synology has much better adaptability and flexibility.

I use a $99 Synology NAS connected to external HDs to backup over my LAN to time machine compatible storage.

It has a smart interface that powers down the unit gracefully when power goes off (attached to external UPS)

I can also access all my "stuff" over secure VPN remotely, and they have a variety of iOS apps for managing and accessing data.

It's also an iTunes compatible media server. They've been around for years and a ton of my clients use them for home and business.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mpantone wrote: »
    The storage is user-supplied disk drives. You choose the quantity, size (capacity), type (traditional rotational disk or SSD), and RAID implementation (if so desired).

The Drobo has some added functionality compared to plain old multi-bay enclosures, their website will explain that, but the basic concept (multiple drives in one case) is ancient.
    Thanks for the explanation. ????
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Every link to anything on the Drobo home page is broken.

I'm supposed to trust my data to these guys?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

LOL, that's not a good sign.

Their website was working fine earlier today. Oh well.

• Reply 12 of 21
    I have a Synology ds212j with two 4TB WD Red drives, RAID 1. Much more cost effective than this Drobo setup.
  • Reply 13 of 21

No FileVault support because of the way Drobo thin provisions.

No way to rescue your data (without another Drobo) if your Drobo chassis fails.  (Although to be fair to Drobo, many vendors use proprietary RAID on-disk formats.  But many also just use the Linux md driver, which is portable.)

• Reply 14 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Well…  Maybe I have a fashion queen at home who really requires everything have an intellectually fashionable purpose and this thing sitting some where will look like a fashionable disaster to her.  She oozes fashion.  She is the design queen.  I am the couch mover.  :-/

• Reply 15 of 21
    Don't get a Drobo. They are slow and unreliable when there is a failure.

Get a QNAP or Synology instead (many features vs ease of use. for these two)

If you're serious about your data though. I would recommend a FreeNAS solution using ZFS which checks for bitrot and snapshots.

FreeNAS mini appliance. Former Apple UNIX chief Jordan Hubbard left to be their new CTO.
    http://www.ixsystems.com/storage/freenas/
  • Reply 16 of 21
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Oh?!  

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Do I hear plethora'l thoughts coming my way in a intellectually</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> orchestrated and punctually designed metaphorical retort?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Oregon Ducks are a good team.  Okay lets hear it.  </span>
    TROJANS! :smokey:
  • Reply 17 of 21
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    dig48109 wrote: »
    Don't get a Drobo. They are slow and unreliable when there is a failure.

Get a QNAP or Synology instead (many features vs ease of use. for these two)

If you're serious about your data though. I would recommend a FreeNAS solution using ZFS which checks for bitrot and snapshots.

FreeNAS mini appliance. Former Apple UNIX chief Jordan Hubbard left to be their new CTO.
    http://www.ixsystems.com/storage/freenas/
    Been using unRAID for about a year now. Best investment I've ever made when it comes to file storage. Runs on a standalone machine that requires little resources to run and runs on gigabit speeds. Pretty nifty for a media server and TM backups.
  • Reply 18 of 21

Except for my photos, there is nothing on my computers that I cannot download again, so I use Time Machine for painless backups.

The 2 things I would love to see on Time Machine:

1. Ability to backup just a single folder.

2. Ability to have some kind of a setting that ensures that no file is deleted completely. The way I understand it, once the backup drive is full, Time Machine starts deleting the oldest backups, so if I have a file that is only on the oldest backup, I'll lose it forever.

There should be some way for Time Machine to never delete a file completely.

• Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Synology has much better adaptability and flexibility.

I use a $99 Synology NAS connected to external HDs to backup over my LAN to time machine compatible storage.

It has a smart interface that powers down the unit gracefully when power goes off (attached to external UPS)

I can also access all my "stuff" over secure VPN remotely, and they have a variety of iOS apps for managing and accessing data.

It's also an iTunes compatible media server. They've been around for years and a ton of my clients use them for home and business.

Which Synology model do you have?  I went through their website and checked prices on Amazon and the cheapest unit I could find that had iTunes sharing was almost $400. 

• Reply 20 of 21
    Which Synology model do you have?  I went through their website and checked prices on Amazon and the cheapest unit I could find that had iTunes sharing was almost $400. 
    I'm not who you responded to but I have a Synology DS212j with two 4TB drives in RAID1. It is not professional grade, but it is worth the money. I spent more than $400 though.