Five-Channel Sound Card for Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dear Friends

My wife gave me a set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s for Christmas and I can't use all five channels with my Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio). I need a five-channel sound card. Is there such a card available for the Mac? If not available now, is there such a card rumored for introduction at Macworld San Francisco?

Creative’s SoundBlaster Live! for the Mac supports only four channels (while apparently supporting five channels on the peecee).

I suppose the correct way to set up Klipsh ProMedia 5.1s on a Mac with no PCI soundcard is to connect the rear speakers to the front speaker connectors on the amp, and for the center mini-sub, one has to choose either the front left or front right speaker connector on the amp. This results in two wires’ being plugged into one speaker connector and three wires’ being plugged into the other. The connectors for center sub, right rear, and left rear speakers remain empty. Connected any other way, I can't get sound to all speakers.

Am I correct? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Creative, Soundblast live! was released for mac, though Its a good card, I REALLY wish Creative would release the AUDIGY series on mac, or at least a platinum version of Live! with a front panel....oh well.

<a href="http://www.americas.creative.com/products/category.asp?Category=8&MainCategory=8"; target="_blank">http://www.americas.creative.com/products/category.asp?Category=8&MainCategory=8</a>;

is the link to their "mac showcase"
  • Reply 2 of 3
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    1.) The Soundblaster for Mac could potentially provide 5.1 sound but I believe only in DD 5.1 output requiring a external decoder.

2.) Creative has virtually killed its mac team

3.) there are no OS X drivers

4.) it's future is dim but there is at least one creative employee fighting to get access to the source and try to write OS X drivers himself.

we'll see how it works. until then you are out of luck.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jaddie:

<strong>Dear Friends

My wife gave me a set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s for Christmas and I can't use all five channels with my Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio). I need a five-channel sound card. Is there such a card available for the Mac? If not available now, is there such a card rumored for introduction at Macworld San Francisco?

Creative&#146;s SoundBlaster Live! for the Mac supports only four channels (while apparently supporting five channels on the peecee).

I suppose the correct way to set up Klipsh ProMedia 5.1s on a Mac with no PCI soundcard is to connect the rear speakers to the front speaker connectors on the amp, and for the center mini-sub, one has to choose either the front left or front right speaker connector on the amp. This results in two wires&#146; being plugged into one speaker connector and three wires&#146; being plugged into the other. The connectors for center sub, right rear, and left rear speakers remain empty. Connected any other way, I can't get sound to all speakers.

Am I correct? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Jaddie</strong><hr></blockquote>

If your interested in the SBL:Mac I'm selling mine. Let me know if your intersted at junk[at]mac-email.com