Apple exploring new iPad Smart Case with integrated multitouch keyboard

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
iPad owners might soon have a new, more compact option when choosing a keyboard to pair with their tablet as Apple is contemplating a redesigned iPad Smart Case with an integrated, multitouch keyboard.

Patent

Apple revealed the invention in a patent application uncovered by AppleInsider and entitled "Cover for electronic device." The proposed case appears to be a combination of the company's existing Smart Case and Smart Cover, with the addition of a thin touch-sensitive keyboard.

Unlike similar products, Apple's design does not use the keyboard to form part of the exterior of the case. Instead, the keyboard is a separate piece that can be detached while still allowing the iPad to be fully ensconced in the case.

While the current Smart Case and Smart Cover use magnets to stay in position, Apple envisions several other options for the new design. Buttons, snaps, buckles, Velcro, and "other types of mechanical enclosures" are among the options mentioned.

According to Apple, the keyboard could connect to the iPad either wirelessly or via a physical plug. Most third-party iPad keyboards today connect via Bluetooth, as does Apple's own popular aluminum wireless keyboard.

Apple credits John G. Elias with the invention of U.S. Patent Application No. 13/624868.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Yes. But will it have the Microsoft click-clack attachment? /s
  • Reply 2 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I would really like for them to do this. Being in a school, typing on the touchscreen isn't always easy, especially if you're using the iPad for any period of time and typing a lot, say like in Pages or something like that. Sure, you can get a case with one integrated, or get the Apple Bluetooth keyboard but it would be nice to have an Apple supported case with one integrated in. 

• Reply 3 of 27
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    The one thing Microsoft got right. A keyboard that runs off of the device's battery and is part of the case.
  • Reply 4 of 27

I've always been reluctant to have a keyboard on my iPad. I don't even like cases or anything else for my iDevices. I like them naked.

My GF got an iPad and insisted on a keyboard. I must admit it is pretty cool. It's a Logitech with a fabric orange outside and a white rubbery keyboard. She loves it and says it's the best laptop she's ever had.

When I met her she had POS Windows laptop that had to be plugged in all the time b/c the battery would not hold a charge. I let her use my white MacBook. Then got her the iPad.

It's light, it's simple to operate, it syncs with her iPhone and it has all her stuff backed up with iCloud and Dropbox. She couldn't be happier.

Oh, and it prints, wirelessly to our Brother printer.

P.S. I have to believe Apple can do a better job than Logitech when it comes to designing the iPad KB.

Best.

• Reply 5 of 27
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    What here is worthy of a patent ? Velcro, buckles, buttons, snaps; oh yea, that's what Apple will use. Really ?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    For me, when I use a physical keyboard I'm expecting a pointer on the screen, which iOS doesn't have. We've seen lots of Smart Cover patents for different things but none of them have made their way to a product yet. If Apple is planning something I hope it's not just a copy of what Microsoft did with Surface.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

The one thing that seemed attractive about the Surface was that keyboard case. I'm sure Apple could pull off an even better version.

It might really be the answer for improved productivity where a keyboard is necessary. Most people do want a $99+ heavy hardshell keyboard case....but a smart case with soft keys built in would appeal to a much wider audience.

• Reply 8 of 27
    I would like to see this be a sapphire coated touch panel keyboard without moving parts.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    For me, when I use a physical keyboard I'm expecting a pointer on the screen, which iOS doesn't have. We've seen lots of Smart Cover patents for different things but none of them have made their way to a product yet. If Apple is planning something I hope it's not just a copy of what Microsoft did with Surface.

Remember, Apple and Microsoft have a broad patent sharing arrangement...
  • Reply 10 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Remember, Apple and Microsoft have a broad patent sharing arrangement...
    I know, but I'd rather see something original from Apple. Like I said though there have been numerous Smart Cover patents for different things but none of them have found their way into an actual product yet. Clearly Apple is testing lots of stuff in their design labs so I would imagine at some point these things will find their way into a product.
  • Reply 11 of 27

Apple plants stories like these (and files bogus patents) just to mislead the competition into copying things that will never exist.  A page ripped out of Eisenhower's D-Day invasion plans.  Mislead the enemy, have them planing for one thing while you do something completely different.  I feel the "iWatch" is another misleading tactic.

• Reply 12 of 27
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Microsoft implementation was really a good find. Simple and effective. Not super-useful but if someone wants a keyboard with their tablet, their solution is the best.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple plants stories like these (and files bogus patents) just to mislead the competition into copying things that will never exist.  A page ripped out of Eisenhower's D-Day invasion plans.  Mislead the enemy, have them planing for one thing while you do something completely different.  I feel the "iWatch" is another misleading tactic.

I think the same thing, but I was proven wrong when the iPad came out (everyone got the name wrong, but most of the rumors were correct).

I actually can imagine a Fitbit-like band loaded with sensors, forget about the watch part.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

Is the iPad in this patent application 12"? :) Just sayin...

• Reply 15 of 27
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If Apple is planning something I hope it's not just a copy of what Microsoft did with Surface.

MS copied Apple with their keyboard cover.  Apple has a patent for them which means they invented them.  /s

• Reply 16 of 27
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

MS copied Apple with their keyboard cover.  Apple has a patent for them which means they invented them.  /s

Patent application occurred after the release of the Surface Touch Cover 2.  I struggle to find anything in this patent application that doesn't already exist in a shipping product - including gestures over the keyboard area (yes, Touch Cover 2 supports a small set of gestures over the keyboard area).   That says to me prior art - patent invalid.

• Reply 17 of 27
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    gumbi wrote: »
    Patent application occurred after the release of the Surface Touch Cover 2.  I struggle to find anything in this patent application that doesn't already exist in a shipping product - including gestures over the keyboard area (yes, Touch Cover 2 supports a small set of gestures over the keyboard area).   That says to me prior art - patent invalid.

To be fair I think the velcro thing is an original idea. I've never seen that implemented in current devices.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

To be fair I think the velcro thing is an original idea. I've never seen that implemented in current devices.

You know, you maybe on to something there!

• Reply 19 of 27
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

I know it supports touchpad gestures, but I had no idea there was anything for the keyboard. What do they do?

Anyways, it's just an application. There's no indication it will be granted yet.

• Reply 20 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

You know, you maybe on to something there!

And then Apple partners with Kit Kat and does a series of commercials where the velcro rips make up a jingle.