Apple Stock (AAPL) Short Term

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As an owner of AAPL for the past 18 months, the stock appears dead--flat lined. I know this is better than lots of others which have tanked.

Would like to gather people's thoughts on buying a short term "call option" on AAPL currently at $22.5. The main reason, and this

is speculation, is that MWSF is Apple's big event for the year where many product announcements, etc are made and stock usually jumps up right before announcement.

Given market conditions this year and potential useful or desireable product announcements, would you buy a short term option on this?

Throwing darts here.

Cheers and happy new year to all

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I bought a bunch of Apple stock a year ago at about $14 a share. It's about $22 now. Not bad at all. It's riding out the recession pretty well, IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Fact is the stock market always improves on the long run, hence why short term investing is bad. I invested when it was in the mid $50s fact is I am in it for the long haul and so I am not too concerned about the $20 prices now. However, I am bitter against those who do short term investing because the reason that Apple is so low is not due to them not having the goods, its due to what I think of as consumer investors jumping at every forecast, only in for the short term, they sold off and lessened the value of my long term investment.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I bought some before they split. Splitting is good
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>Fact is the stock market always improves on the long run, hence why short term investing is bad. I invested when it was in the mid $50s fact is I am in it for the long haul and so I am not too concerned about the $20 prices now. However, I am bitter against those who do short term investing because the reason that Apple is so low is not due to them not having the goods, its due to what I think of as consumer investors jumping at every forecast, only in for the short term, they sold off and lessened the value of my long term investment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also noted that I am an owner of Apple for 18 months and still holding. i am down on it currently and looking to compliment my long term holding which has LOST me money with a short term option. Please read my email above.

I believe you should invest in what is best for you and sometimes that is short term and somethimes long term.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I bought 22 shares of AAPL at 17 bucks a share. I paln on selling in the next 40 years or so.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I remember when aapl stock was around 15 or so(a year and a half ago) and I thought, hmmmm I should buy some, so I talked to my broker, but they convinced me not to buy then, because I was new at stocks I went along with it, but then a few months later aapl was at 150 a share, I was so pissed, so when it went down to 60 I bought, and then it went upto 100 and then it split(that was nice) and then I held onto it for little longer hoping for it to go back up to like 70 or 80 and then I would sell some, but NO it dropped to 20, and has been like that ever since, Well at least now I have a couple hundred shares of aapl stock, so if it ever does go back up again big time, I won't be missing out on anything...on a similar note, we switched brokerage houses recently
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    The $50 drop was horrible. Luckily, I don't own any stock . I'll ask for 1 share of Apple stock for my next birthday.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    And does anyone know why Apple stock dropped 50% in one day?

Because they posted lower than expected earnings, not a loss, they still made a profit, Compaq and HP and Intel both declared losses that quarter and their stock did not drop 50%.

Hence my claims about short term investors lowering stock prices.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>And does anyone know why Apple stock dropped 50% in one day?

Because they posted lower than expected earnings, not a loss, they still made a profit, Compaq and HP and Intel both declared losses that quarter and their stock did not drop 50%.

Hence my claims about short term investors lowering stock prices.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For it to drop this suddenly, within a couple of hours, suggests that a large institutional investor which major shares dumed apple stock. Us little guys, the individuals, did not do it, whether short or long term. that was a huge rapid drop in aug 2000.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I wasn't talking about August of 2000, I was talking like November, but I will assume that is what you meant.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    The stock will rise to $35 this year I believe. AAPL is a good solid stock, like Apple is a company. The difference between Apple and the other PC vendors is that Apple has room to grow.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>The stock will rise to $35 this year I believe. AAPL is a good solid stock, like Apple is a company. The difference between Apple and the other PC vendors is that Apple has room to grow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And you are how old?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

And you are how old?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am old enough.