Adoption of OS X 10.9 Mavericks significantly outpaces 10.8 Mountain Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
The rate at which Mac owners are upgrading to Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks has far outperformed the operating system's predecessor -- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion -- with one report saying the latest OS is now running on over 40 percent of active Macs.

After five months of availability, OS X 10.9 Mavericks now generates just over 40 percent of all North American OS X-based Web traffic handled by ad network Chitika, almost doubling Mountain Lion's current 21 percent share.

By comparison, the last-generation OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion took nearly 14 months to reach a 34 percent share and was only at 26.8 percent after seven months on the market.

As for older versions of OS X, 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard both account for 18 percent of Mac traffic, while OS X 10.5 Leopard is at 3 percent. The almost nine-year-old OS X 10.4 Tiger is still running on one percent of machines, while "other OS X" takes the last percent.

In October 2013, one month after Mavericks' release, the operating system saw an adoption rate three times that of Mountain Lion. Possibly contributing to the uptick in adoption is Apple's decision to make Mavericks a free upgrade.

Chitika notes that while Mavericks' 40 percent is commendable, the statistic is nowhere near Apple's iOS 7, iterations of which account for more than 80 percent of traffic for the platform. The firm speculates a variety of factors play a role in the noticeable gap, including hardware incompatibility, differing device refresh cycles and user demographics.

Another interesting point is that the iOS update mechanism is much more aggressive than OS X. For example, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users are solicited to upgrade with pop-ups and push notifications, while older OS X version do not have the same assets.

Things could change with OS X 10.10, however, as Mavericks includes auto update features built into the Mac App Store, as well as Notification Center and app badge carryovers from Mountain Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Auto update sounds good to me. I no longer have to worry about whether I’m running the latest version of apps on my iPad. Having this on OS X makes my life easier.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That's because it's free. My idea ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 36
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Possibly contributing to the uptick in adoption is Apple's decision to make Mavericks a free upgrade.

That is exactly the reason for the high adoption rate. A free upgrade? There are very few reasons to turn a free offer down.

• Reply 4 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Possibly contributing to the uptick in adoption is Apple's decision to make Mavericks a <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mavericks/id675248567?mt=12">free upgrade</a>.

I appreciate AI not wanting to jump to any conclusions but this seems like more than a possibility.
    Another interesting point is that the iOS update mechanism is much more aggressive than OS X. For example, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users are solicited to upgrade with pop-ups and push notifications, while older OS X version do not have the same assets.

I know plenty of Mac users that weren't even aware that MAS exists of that Mavericks was a free download. These tend to be long-time Mac users who are not very tech savvy, but given enough time these people will learn or die off so it's a short term problem.

lkrupp wrote: »
    Auto update sounds good to me. I no longer have to worry about whether I’m running the latest version of apps on my iPad. Having this on OS X makes my life easier.

Even Mac OS X betas now show up in the Mac App Store like a regular update. They have really made it streamlined and simple.

ireland wrote: »
    That's because it's free. My idea ;-)

Delusional, much? :no:
  • Reply 5 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

My big 2007 8 Core Mac Pro won't even run Mountain Lion.  I love this machine and was so proud to have such a wonderful powerhouse.  Now it is dying.  Apple helped me with that.  Eventually Lion will be so obsolete that I won't be able to use the internet.  Sucks.

I am gonna buy another Mac Pro Box.  One that will run Mavericks.  I plan to not buy the new Mac Pro Model.  I think the solid state drives are not far enough along to meet the storage demands I like.  The external option is not what I like.  Too much desk space and AC Adapters.

I like multiple drives with multiple OS.  And two massive identical storage drives.  The old mac pro was good at the internal drives.  You could have 6 total if you really wanted it.  6 4tb drives.  Nice!

If my 2007 could run Mountain Lion in a stable manner I would keep it on my machine.  I got it hacked to run but it would crash with certain Apple programs like iPhoto.  I gave up and decided it wasn't worth it.  I would have to do the same thing and with even more work on Mavericks.

• Reply 6 of 36
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    My big 2007 8 Core Mac Pro won't even run Mountain Lion.  I love this machine and was so proud to have such a wonderful powerhouse.  Now it is dying.  Apple helped me with that.  Eventually Lion will be so obsolete that I won't be able to use the internet.  Sucks.

It sucks that the Mac Pro's made the cut off all before all other Macs but let's not go crazy with the hyperbole. I have an iMac from 2003 that runs Leopard that can still access the internet just fine. If that PPC Mac can still be viable then i think you Intel Mac has more than few years of utility left in it.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member

If your 2007 MacPro can run 10.6, I'd update to that. Great update that was. 10.7 was a step back in my opinion and not worth even considering after I used it. Overall, you still have plenty of life left in that sucker given that it is a desktop.

• Reply 8 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

My big 2007 8 Core Mac Pro won't even run Mountain Lion.  I love this machine and was so proud to have such a wonderful powerhouse. 

I have one of those too. Still cranks out projects all day long. Best Mac ever in my opinion. I love how heavy duty it is. The new Mac Pros look so delicate.

I'm debating getting the new Mac Pro, but I'm still not sure which configuration to buy and I am also hoping for a matching 4K monitor from Apple in the near future.

The desk space argument you make isn't really much of an issue in my mind. A new Mac Pro and an external raid together represent less desk space than your current Mac Pro.

• Reply 9 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

If your 2007 MacPro can run 10.6, I'd update to that. Great update that was. 10.7 was a step back in my opinion and not worth even considering after I used it. Overall, you still have plenty of life left in that sucker given that it is a desktop.

Snow Leopard is a really solid version for sure. Nothing fancy, just a great UNIX computer with an OS X GUI. I have various Macs running SL, SL Server, L, ML, M and I like like them all.

• Reply 10 of 36
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

My big 2007 8 Core Mac Pro won't even run Mountain Lion.

You are lucky. Upgrading to Mavericks was the worst mistake I have made on my iMac. Too many things stopped working properly.

I'm going back to Snow Leopard as soon as I can.

• Reply 11 of 36
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chitika notes that while Mavericks' 40 percent is commendable, the statistic is nowhere near Apple's iOS 7, iterations of which account for more than 80 percent of traffic for the platform. The firm speculates a variety of factors play a role in the noticeable gap, including hardware incompatibility, differing device refresh cycles and user demographics.

There is another issue here. There are quite a few programs that will not run on Mavericks. Upgrading would mean paying for the upgrade of the apps that will not run. Luckily I only had one that I had to pay for and I got a discount from the vendor for not going through the app store and paying an upgrade price. 

So while the OS is free, not all of your required upgrades will be. I know several people who are waiting until they are ready to upgrade their older apps. 

• Reply 12 of 36
    Apple could pay me for using their glitchy rubbish called 'mavericks'. I am absolutely sure I'll wait for the next OS X version. My MacBook Pro still runs ML.
  • Reply 13 of 36

I'll adopt Mavericks as soon as Apple comes out with a new Mini.  Still running SL on my old Mini and waiting to buy a new one.  Come on Apple.

• Reply 14 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Apple could pay me for using their glitchy rubbish called 'mavericks'.

What glitches have you encountered? What on earth makes you think the next OS would be any less “glitchy” if you believe they’re in Mavericks?

• Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What glitches have you encountered? What on earth makes you think the next OS would be any less “glitchy” if you believe they’re in Mavericks?

It is enough to read feedback left by "very satisfied" mavericks users. I am not so stupid to ruin my own Mac. I'd better use working stuff. If the next OS X will be the same shit - it gonna be beginning of the end of Apple for sure.

• Reply 16 of 36

It is enough to read feedback left by "very satisfied" mavericks users. I am not so stupid to ruin my own Mac. I'd better use working stuff. If the next OS X will be the same shit - it gonna be beginning of the end of Apple for sure.

So… no examples of the glitches you’ve encountered, despite that being pretty easy to present given that you yourself have encountered them.

Only evidence that users are very satisfied and more useless FUD about Apple. Okay.

• Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only evidence that users are very satisfied and more useless FUD about Apple. Okay.

Ok, you can keep believing that people are happy with 'mavericks'. I'm not going to argue, and the least of all I want to turn my flawlessly working Mac into 'pain in arse' by "upgrading" the OS X. :)

• Reply 18 of 36
    greybeard wrote: »
    Ok, you can keep believing that people are happy with 'mavericks'. I'm not going to argue, and the least of all I want to turn my flawlessly working Mac into 'pain in arse' by "upgrading" the OS X. :)

Did you explain what "glitches" you're experiencing? If so, I didn't see them. I've been using Mavericks on my previous and current MBP and think it's the best version of OS X they've ever made. Are you suggesting I'm delusional for believing I'm happy with it?
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did you explain what "glitches" you're experiencing? If so, I didn't see them. I've been using Mavericks on my previous and current MBP and think it's the best version of OS X they've ever made. Are you suggesting I'm delusional for believing I'm happy with it?

Just read what real 'mavericks' "happy" users experience after "upgrading" from normally working OS X. Most of them regret it bitterly. That's it. It was enough for me even NOT to consider installing that shit on my Mac. 

There is no even one reason to move from ML. There is no any new really usable features in comparison with Mountain Lion. I never risk everything just for curiosity.

• Reply 20 of 36

Ok, you can keep believing that people are happy with 'mavericks'.

We are. Now either shut up or give an example of the “glitches” you experience.

Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Just read what real 'mavericks' "happy" users experience after "upgrading" from normally working OS X. Most of them regret it bitterly.

Zero evidence, zero examples, zero information, zero proof. 

You don’t even have a clue what the word ‘happy’ means. Why would we trust you to know what a glitch is?! Come off it, man.