Apple issues fourth OS X 10.9.3 beta to developers, continues focus on multimedia

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
One week after the last beta, Apple has returned with another pre-release version of OS X 10.9.3 for testing by employees and registered Mac developers with a focus on graphics drivers, audio, Safari, USB data synchronization, and Mail.

People involved in the beta testing process told AppleInsider that the latest version bears build number 13D28. The company did not release a coinciding beta update to the Xcode suite or the operating system's server variant.

Apple does not report any known issues with the newest build, but focus areas remain the same as they have in previous editions. This represents the fourth OS X 10.9.3 beta since the process began.

Previous betas have added support for pixel-doubled "Retina" mode with 4K monitors and contact and calendar synchronization through iTunes.

Registered Mac developers can download the OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 build 13D28 from the Mac Dev Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    These betas seem to be coming harder and faster* than previous point updates. I had assumed an early June release for this update just prior or immediately after the WWDC keynote, as well as hoped for an Apple UHD display to be announced, but this makes me wonder if 1) this will be released in April or May and 2) if there will be an event before WWDC, or 3) if WWDC will be earlier this year.

[SIZE=2]*[i]That's what she said![/I][/SIZE]
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I am curious, what kind of font are you using on this page: "People involved in the beta" above?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I'm thinking there will be some kind of major 4K announcement fairly soon from Apple, whether its a 4K Thunderbolt 2 display (with TB 2), and/or a 4K 27" iMac as a BTO. I'm also thinking it could be before WWDC. Seems like they wouldn't be pushing updates so fast if it was for WWDC. Thats still a 3 months away.
  • Reply 4 of 9

10.9.3 is likely what Apple will be imaging newly built systems with, and that requires a fair amount of lead time. If you buy a new Mac(book) Pro with a 4K display, they'll need to work together out of the box well enough without having to run Software Update.

• Reply 5 of 9
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    in the next update, please get rid of the requirement to use iCloud for syncing contacts with the iPhone. the requirement to use iCloud is infuriating. aside from privacy issues, what happens if you're on a plane or volunteering in a remote village in africa and you need to sync? you can't. and there's no good reason to require the internet, not just a local area network mind you, but the global internet to simply exchange information between two devices that are right in front of your face.

it amazes me in this day and age of paranoia over identity theft and credit card database breaches that people are so willingly accepting iCloud. i've been a supporter of apple ever since the apple 2 but apple has gone too far with the iCloud. apple, please make this an option, not a requirement!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

it amazes me in this day and age of paranoia over identity theft and credit card database breaches that people are so willingly accepting iCloud.

That's why I run Server, to implement private e-mail, CardDAV and CalDAV services. (It's still a PITA, though.)

• Reply 7 of 9
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

in the next update, please get rid of the requirement to use iCloud for syncing contacts with the iPhone. the requirement to use iCloud is infuriating. aside from privacy issues, what happens if you're on a plane or volunteering in a remote village in africa and you need to sync? you can't. and there's no good reason to require the internet, not just a local area network mind you, but the global internet to simply exchange information between two devices that are right in front of your face.

Agreed. It infuriates me that Apple deprecated their own OS but continued support for USB local syncing via iTunes in Windows. Windows gets the support, we get the finger. After enduring decades of Mac marginalization, it's tough to swallow when it's Apple doing the marginalizing.

• Reply 8 of 9
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

in the next update, please get rid of the requirement to use iCloud for syncing contacts with the iPhone

It was removed in the last (beta) update.

• Reply 9 of 9
    For those interested, I cannot simulatanously connect my Mac Pro to two 4k monitors from Seiki. They alternate back and forth. One does look fantastic at 50" pixel doubled, but I can only get one at a time. Perhaps this new seed will help.