My Nintendo GameCube review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, since DoctorGonzo posted a lengthy XBox review, I'll go ahead and jot down my thoughts on the GameCube after 6 weeks.

The GameCube is tiny. It comes in a box less than half the volume and it's approximately one-third the weight of an XBox. There's not much to the out-of-the-box experience. The system comes with one controller, a power brick, composite AV cables and a controller. Setting it up is a breeze, so I don't think I'll bore you with the details.

Operation:

The first time you turn the GameCube on, you will have to set the date and time.

If there's no game disc in the drive when the GameCube is turned on, you will be sent to a menu screen with 4 options:

"Game Play" - play the game you insert in the drive

"Calendar" - set the date and/or time

"Memory Card" - move, copy, erase saved game files

"Options" - sound, display, misc. options

Even if you have a game disc in the machine when you power on the GameCube, you can access the menu screen by holding down the A-button on a controller. I like the top-loading design of the GameCube as well. It's simple. It's less cumbersome than a tray. Just snap in the disc and close the thing. And removing the disc is as easy as opening the lid pressing the center of the spindle.

The Controller:

I'm going to be blunt about the controller. It's bad, but not because it doesn't feel right. It feels perfect. I have four controllers and the two that I bought more recently are showing signs of what looks like a common problem. On both these controllers, the B-button now feels like mush. The same symptoms are showing up on the larger A-button of one of those controllers as well. The buttons just won't spring back as fast or at all any more.

It's unfortunate because the GameCube controller is otherwise the best controller I have ever gotten a hold of. It fits like a glove. The move away from a diamond button configuration is genius. I'm glad Nintendo still has innovation on its side. The analog stick feels great...it's very precise. The analog L and R triggers have great travel, and a 'digital' override if you depress them all the way.

Aside from the defect mentioned above, the only complaints I have about the GameCube controller is the directional pad's small size and the position of the Z-button.

The controllers are also hot pluggable.

The Memory Card:

It's way too small. Madden 2002 requires 59 save blocks to play a full season. It requires more for othe options. That's a big deal because each card only has 59 save blocks! On the bright side, the memory cards are very inexpensive, and Nintendo is promising more voluminous cards soon.

The Games:

Luigi's Mansion - I only have it because it came with my bundle. I didn't find it very fun, but the graphics are very nice. I never got used to the controls, which requires you to use one of the analog sticks for walking and the other for pivoting. Score: B-

Madden NFL 2002 - I know it's barely anything more than a straight port of the PS2 version of the game, but Madden 2002 is one of my favorite GameCube games. It's the best looking version for any of the current consoles, and the controller button configuration is perfect for the game. For example, per passing play, you will typically have three wide outs (wide receivers.) Most of the time, you put one left, one deep center and one right...just like the B, Y, and X buttons on the controller. The tight end is usually put under the A button since he's the guy you typically throw to when you need to get rid of the ball quickly. It makes sense to have the tight end be the easiest guy to pass to, so he gets the biggest button on the controller. If you want to pass the ball to your backs (fullback or tailback,) they are usually spotted under the L and R triggers are. Score: A

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader - This is probably the most visually stunning game I have ever played. The controls are intuitive and the missions range from cakewalks to utter insanity. This is a must own for the GameCube, even if you aren't a fan. It's great to show off to guests/friends. Score: A+

Super Monkey Ball - I can't believe how fun this game is, because it's so utterly simple. The only controls you ever use in this game are the A-button and analog stick, but that simplicity hasn't stopped the game from being the favorite among my friends. We literally play Monkey Target and Monkey Fight for hours...we're all mature adults too. Score: A+

Pikmin - Pikmin is great. The level designs are beautiful, and it's amazing to see your screen littered with hundreds of those little guys running around fluidly. It's a bit disappointing that the levels are time-limited and less based on pure problem-solving. Otherwise, this game would be less frustrating. Score: A-

Super Smash Brothers Melee - This is a very interesting game. Play it with the right people and it's tons of fun, but most of my friends don't like fighting games so the experience has been less than ideal. Score: B (because it's not for everyone.)

Wave Race: Blue Storm - A very fun game, but very hard. the difficulty of the game makes it very frustraing to play with friends who have never played it before. Score: B+

FIFA 2002 - Another port, but another very fun game. A few of my friends play soccer, so they immediately enjoyed this game. The games play very realistically and the graphics aren't bad either. Score: A

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - It took me some convincing to buy this game, but after 30 minutes of getting used to the controls, I was hooked. Tony Hawk games truly are addictive. Score: A

Tony Hawk, FIFA and Madden all showdown at times, but the effects were minimal. it's no coincidence these games were ports of PS2 games as well.

Conclusion:

Pro - price, controller design, great launch titles, simple design, portable

Con - controllers are possibly defective, kiddie aura, small memory cards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'll add a bit.

haven't experienced those prolems with the Nintendo Controller. I also have a third party controller with a turbo feature and it just feels a lot better than the nintendo one (its a bit bigger, heavier, etc). the Z button is useless

games:

All Star Baseball 2002- Cool graphics, only one camera option though and based on preliminary results may not be difficult enough. the instant replay camera angles look awesome and its a full featured game but there are a few glitches in the graphics and gameplay. This is likely the reason that inside the game is a coupon for All-Star baseball 2003.

NHL Blitz- Awesome fun game. fast paced, great graphics, decent commentary. However, you can't have a 2 player (Vs) Stanley Cup tournament! it is also only 3 on 3 hockey so its like the hockey version of NBA Jam.

Universal Studios Theme park- WORST GAME EVER. STAY FAR AWAY

Fifa Soccer 2002- Simply awesome

One major complaint- What's with the frame rate losses? Especially in Fifa and NHL Blitz. It's pretty bad to think that these first release games are already pushing the system to its limits.

One HUGE complaint- NO SURROUND OPTIONS except for Dolby prologic II which is useless to about 95% of the people out there
  • Reply 2 of 7
    i had never given much thought about getting a gamecube until i saw the screenshots and video for the someday-coming Resident Evil (remake).. these are the best graphics i've ever seen!.. if it ends up playable in that form, and if we can expect more games with those types of graphics, i think everyone who owns any other system will want a gamecube.

(seriously!.. check out the screenshots - cube.ign.com)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]One major complaint- What's with the frame rate losses? Especially in Fifa and NHL Blitz. It's pretty bad to think that these first release games are already pushing the system to its limits.<hr></blockquote>

I'd place the blame squarely on the shoulders of lack of optimization in first gen games. It's an issue with the Xbox as well. Where you can have a massive level whith 90,000 things going on with no problems, then go to a cutscene that could be rendered by a Dreamcast, and suffer lost framerates.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Eugene,

I haven't had the problems you described with my current controllers, but I had to return one to Best Buy because the A and B buttons were really mushy. It was extremely unpleasant to be having a really good run in monkey target only to have your ball close up in mid-flight Hopefully my controllers won't go out...

I've also noticed the framerate loss in Rogue Leader. I just thought it was me... (this is my first console since the original nintendo )
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    NHL Hitz
  • Reply 6 of 7
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>NHL Hitz </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ya, he's confusing it with NFL BLITZ (which is much better than the NHL one by the way)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>NHL Hitz </strong><hr></blockquote>

you are correct. I knew the correct name just seem to keep typing it wrong