Time in trouble? Not likely.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was the posting of the iMac2 article an error? Not likely. It was probably even suggested/required by Apple. i mean just who is going to be in the know on this one? My mom, dad, the local gas staion attendant, The big city car dealer, the sales clerk at best buy, the real estate woman with the great big picure hovering over the highway awash in... at any rate, only us Mac loons would see this article before it was "supposed" to appear. So stop with the "steve's gonna eat Time for lunch and chop off heads" nonsense. the article appearing "prematurely" was a gift. To whom? Us. A thank you for our patience, a taste of the glory yet to unfold. A reward for waiting patiently in time zones inumerable for 12 AM Pacific time for the past week. It is a peak through that loose secton of Christmas wrapping paper that tells us what we are getting, but keeps us from fully enjoying it just yet. Apple is beginning, ever so slowly, to accept its fanatical fan base as one that should be rewarded for said fanaticism. is it a free Mac? No, but it is the warm feeling of utter exclusivity and belonging that we all so long for. The VIP lounge. The box seats. Ringside.

Tomorrow will come and go. Opinion will, as usual, be polarized; but for once, we have an Apple product that has included all of the goodies we had hoped for.

Apple is finally beginning to recognize the need to meet expectations at the least; and perhaps tomorrow, even overwhelm.

After all, this was one more sleepless night with a better reward than a cryptic banner.

[reprinted from macrumors.com with permission]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Steve would be silly to cause a public stir. TIME is giving them great publicity with a cover story. TIME is owned by a huge corporation that not only owns a huge media empire, but also shares the same goals in wanting to dethrone MS.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Yeah, really. What's Apple gonna do, sue AOL Time-Warner? They'd only be screwing themselves.

Anyway, there's still a lot to know about even this iMac, nobody is really even sure on specifics right now. And heck, I doubt Time even had the whole story from Apple--they aren't that stupid--so we're still in for a relatively big surprise tomorrow. I know I'll be tuning in.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Yeah, really. What's Apple gonna do, sue AOL Time-Warner? They'd only be screwing themselves.<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps Steve could 'convince' AOL to actually make a decent version of their software for the Mac for a change?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Perhaps Steve could 'convince' AOL to actually make a decent version of their software for the Mac for a change?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't comment on the AOL browser/whatever software, as I haven't used it (I only know it works.. and that anyone who dislikes it doesn't belong in the idiothole AOL anyway), but I know that AIM for OS X isn't half bad. Other than its lack of file sending and direct connections, it's pretty much where the PC version is (save the stupid "Today" piece of crap). I don't even like it anyway, though, I hate ads and I've found <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12052&db=mac"; target="_blank">Adium</a> to be 200% better in the interface dept. Plus it has a few neat features, and (rejoice!) the dock icon doesn't BOUNCE! Give it a try, maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    THIS is why the Keynote was moved to MONDAY!!!!

It all makes sense now. Coordinate with media release of new iMac.

Hehe... nice going. But too bad they published it too early on the website.

Ooops
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>

I can't comment on the AOL browser/whatever software, as I haven't used it (I only know it works.. and that anyone who dislikes it doesn't belong in the idiothole AOL anyway), but I know that AIM for OS X isn't half bad. Other than its lack of file sending and direct connections, it's pretty much where the PC version is (save the stupid "Today" piece of crap). I don't even like it anyway, though, I hate ads and I've found <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12052&db=mac"; target="_blank">Adium</a> to be 200% better in the interface dept. Plus it has a few neat features, and (rejoice!) the dock icon doesn't BOUNCE! Give it a try, maybe?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right, AIM isn't that bad but AOL is. We're stuck on 5.0 with a lot of features missing that Windows users have. The only reason why I have AOL is because my dad uses it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It was an inspired bit of publicity to leak a magazine already published on the Time website prior to the keynote. Even more media attention for the iMac (which IS Apple to the rest of the non-mac World)

Didn't even make the cover of European version of Time, though.