iPhone 6 almost certainly September?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2014

My phone contract is up for renewal now. I can take out a new sim only contract and save myself £7 a month on my current deal. Only thing is, the earliest I can upgrade my handset would be September. I know the last few updates have been September but know there's been some talk of an iPhone release in June or July. What're your thoughts as to whether this is likely or if there's been enough chatter to justify that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My phone contract is up for renewal now. I can take out a new sim only contract and save myself £7 a month on my current deal. Only thing is, the earliest I can upgrade my handset would be September. I know the last few updates have been September but know there's been some talk of an iPhone release in June or July. What're your thoughts as to whether this is likely or if there's been enough chatter to justify that?

Impossible to tell really as Apple has so completely clamped down on leaks that we don't even get a hint. Given that all the rumors about production ramp ups would indicate a release before September. In general it isn't a good idea for a company to carry stock for a long time so if some of these things are in production (A8, Sapphire, new cameras & ect) then I would have to guess that release would be 3-4 months from now. The gotchas here is that a new processor could be in production but targeted at different hardware. I do expect Apple to broaden its processor line up to support higher performance in things like a new Apple TV.

In the end who knows.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I know the last few updates have been September but know there's been some talk of an iPhone release in June or July. What're your thoughts as to whether this is likely or if there's been enough chatter to justify that?

There's so many conflicting reports that it's clear the vast majority of it is made up. They had reports about 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones and now, true to form, there's a report about the larger phablet one being delayed:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/24/iphone-6-with-5-5-inch-display-facing-possible-delay-says-report/

"according to UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, Apple’s phablet may not be announced alongside the 4.7-inch iteration later this year. Milunovich cited the ever-vague “supply chain checks” for his report."

This is likely because it's coming up for their earnings report in April.

Apple has no reason to release a new phone in July when they are selling record numbers of iPhones. June/July is WWDC for developers where they show off software. They may introduce a payments system for iOS 8, a new OS X, possibly new 12" Retina Macbook Air but then the software goes through the beta process for a launch in September. In September, they'd have the iPhone 6 and the next iPad Air can get Touch ID to use with their payment system.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Actually payments are in fact why I see it as possible that an update to the iOS line will come with or before WWDC. If nothing else that finger print sensor needs to be rolled out to the rest of the iOS device line up.

Marvin wrote: »
    There's so many conflicting reports that it's clear the vast majority of it is made up. They had reports about 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones and now, true to form, there's a report about the larger phablet one being delayed:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/24/iphone-6-with-5-5-inch-display-facing-possible-delay-says-report/

"according to UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, Apple’s phablet may not be announced alongside the 4.7-inch iteration later this year. Milunovich cited the ever-vague “supply chain checks” for his report."

This is likely because it's coming up for their earnings report in April.

Apple has no reason to release a new phone in July when they are selling record numbers of iPhones.
    Current sales have nothing to do with releasing new products.
    June/July is WWDC for developers where they show off software. They may introduce a payments system for iOS 8, a new OS X, possibly new 12" Retina Macbook Air but then the software goes through the beta process for a launch in September. In September, they'd have the iPhone 6 and the next iPad Air can get Touch ID to use with their payment system.

If a payments solution comes out at WWDC to be delivered months later, Apple would still need rev hardware at the time of the announcement. If they didn't sales of non comforting devices would chill significantly.