Apple Retail Customers - 40% non-Mac users?!?!

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
um, wow. that sure sounds pretty darned good to me. maybe it's just steve's RDF, but i gotta believe that is REALLY GOOD NEWS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That number seems rather low to me. With all those crowds of people, only 40% were non-mac users?

I was hoping for more like 65-70%.

This is disappointing.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>um, wow. that sure sounds pretty darned good to me. maybe it's just steve's RDF, but i gotta believe that is REALLY GOOD NEWS! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Did he say customers, cuz I thought he just said "visitors," which would make more sense. Of course, you have to weigh the fact that each of those stores were flooded with Mac fans the first few days they were open, so I think it entirely possible that they percentage of non-mac-using "visitors" is much higher than even 40%.

I mean, it's an attractive looking store in a busy shopping mall, staffed by friendly and intelligent people, why would anyone not want to go in?

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i dunno. i was going by maccentrals' report and they definitely say "40% of the CUSTOMERS". the thing is, they don't say what they bought (which may mean pc users coming in to buy digital cameras because they have the widest selection, but hate macs... not a great scenario, but like they said in vaudeville "just get their butts in the seats..."

and, c'mon -- 40% is very encouraging news, considering apple's worldwide has slipped from 5+% to around 3% worldwide..
  • Reply 4 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>That number seems rather low to me. With all those crowds of people, only 40% were non-mac users?

I was hoping for more like 65-70%.

This is disappointing.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you kidding me? The stores haven't even been around for a year. Also, Apple's got 5% marketshare, so for now 40% of non-Mac users is good.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    He specifically said that the 40% figure was the portion of CPU BUYERS that were new to the platform.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I have to go with the 40% is great news vote.How could a 40% increase in the number of mac usersd out there be a bad thing?. Start looking at that exponentially. How long before Apple has to have 3 stores in every town?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: norfa ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    This would jive with what I've been hearing. No, no hard sources...just whispers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Jobs said that 40% of buyers are new to the platform ,but I believe that 45% of iMac buyers in its heyday were new. 13% were Wintel switchers and 30% were first time buyers. So 40% would be a drop. But you also have to consider that most newbies would buy an iMac and Job said this is 40% of ALL Macs sold and that means including Powerbooks and PowerMacs which I doubt new users often buy. And then throw on top of that that there are less and less 1st time computer buyers nowadays because more and more people already have one.

Analyst Charlie Wolf had made a calculation that the Apple Stores need to sell 71 Macs a week to break even. Of course this varies depend on what else they sell but lets assume it is 70 a week or 10 a day. Apple is almost breaking even so lets say the Apple stores are selling 9 Macs a day. At 40% for new users this would be about 4 a day or 1400 a year per Apple Store. Multiply that by 35 stores and you have almost 50,000 Macs a year to new users. Multiply 1400 a year by 200 Apple Stores and you would have 280,000 new Mac users a year. Considering that Apple sells much of it's products through the web site and other online retailers that would be a good number. Throw on top of that that sales will be growing thanks to iPhoto, iMac, and upcoming developments, and the possibility of European Apple Stores and I think we could see Apple grab 1 or 2 points of marketshare.

I think we'll see 3 or 4 more products this year aimed at getting people into the Apple Stores and his may be the year where Apple really does start to grow its user base.