Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Apple is preparing to ramp up production of displays bound for next-generation iPhones which, according to Reuters, will launch this fall in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch varieties.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

Citing supply chain sources, Reuters on Tuesday reported that Apple partner display manufacturer Japan Display will be first to start mass production of 4.7-inch panels bound for the so-called "iPhone 6" as early as May, with Sharp and LG Display to follow in June. Current iPhone 5s and 5c models sport a 4-inch display.

A second, larger 5.5-inch version is also on the way, but difficulties with in-cell manufacturing methods have delayed a ramp to mass production. An initial kick-off date is unknown, but suppliers are expected to begin manufacturing the large phablet-size screen "several months" after the 4.7-inch version. To push production forward, Apple could initially fall back on older thin film technology for the 5.5-inch display, then switch to in-cell at a later date, sources said.

According to the publication both new iPhone models were slated to use in-cell touchscreens, a technology that slims down the overall thickness of a device's touch panel by incorporating capacitive touch sensors into the LCD array. Apple first employed the tech in 2012 with the iPhone 5.

The latest rumors run counter to a report from Japanese financial publication Nikkei, which last week said Apple was already producing 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays to be used in the next iPhone. While the publications disagree on a manufacturing start date, they agree on screen sizes and suppliers.

Along with the reported bump in screen size, rumors surrounding Apple's next flagship handset abound. The most recent speculation ranges from the inclusion of sapphire displays to a new 10-megapixel f/1.8 camera module with interchangeable lenses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Is this earlier than prior iPhone screen production ramp-ups? Apple must expect huge demand, if they're starting production in May for a September release. No more out-of-stock for Apple products from now on ;)
  • Reply 2 of 49
    I love the idea of staggering the release dates, even it's not intentional. As long as they can get the bigger phone on the shelf by November, Apple will end up selling 70mil iPhones this Holiday qtr.

I can't wait to finally watch movies, read, prepare documents etc on my iPhone. It's been a long time coming...if this rumor is true. I might just end up getting both sizes.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Prediction: The 5.5 inch will be this season's 6C. Same resolution as 4.7 inch phone, A7 and current camera.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    eric38 wrote: »
    Is this earlier than prior iPhone screen production ramp-ups? Apple must expect huge demand, if they're starting production in May for a September release. No more out-of-stock for Apple products from now on ;)

Yeah, that and maybe releasing the new product in more countries on the release date. It seem Apple is hitting more countries about the same date with each new release. I'm thinking this will not just be an incremental advancement... the 64-bit chip will be put to task, leaving Samscum panting to claim, "me too."
  • Reply 5 of 49
    I don't know man. For me I get frustrated when I can't use my iPhone 5 with one hand. Usually that's when waking up or going to sleep. But I like the sleekness of this size device. I just can't see myself wanting something that's as big as even 4.7 inches let alone 5.5 inches. I'm definitely not getting the 5.5 inch one if one comes out but the 4.7 inch one if that's the only new one available in a moderately small size then I'll probably get that one.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I don't know man. For me I get frustrated when I can't use my iPhone 5 with one hand. Usually that's when waking up or going to sleep. But I like the sleekness of this size device. I just can't see myself wanting something that's as big as even 4.7 inches let alone 5.5 inches. I'm definitely not getting the 5.5 inch one if one comes out but the 4.7 inch one if that's the only new one available in a moderately small size then I'll probably get that one.

I have a phone with a 4.7" screen and have no problems operating it with one hand when I need to.  4.7" is the perfect size for my hands (YMMV).

• Reply 7 of 49
    Yep. I think all the analysts are underestimating how well a bigger iPhone will sell. There are 100's of millions of past and present iPhone users that will decide to get the bigger iPhone over the next couple years. Sammy made a huge mistake by releasing an incremental upgrade with the S5. Decisions on a phone will be easily made this fall. I just worry about price. I could see Apple charging $600 on contract for their 5.7" with 128gb, or they could make the larger 5.7" the next iteration of the 5c, which makes a lot of sense to me, given their unwavering objection to 2-handed smartphone use. "Here you go, the phablet, but it's plastic." Kinda a way to keep folks buying their premium phone, but giving them the option for a phablet similar in look and specs to the 5c. Maybe the 5.7" won't come with TouchID.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Hasn't anyone here found it ironic, that this "report" comes out on the same day that Apple has announced the date for their next quarterly report call? Don't you see what those bastards on Wall Street are doing? They're now going to start citing imaginary and fictitious claims of Apple delaying the production of the "saviour" of the iPhone line (a phablet), just before the call, to make it appear the company is floundering, thus causing a stock crash again. All the while, NO ONE actually knows ANYTHING conclusive about the next iPhone, and we won't know anything truly conclusive right up until a week or two before the announcement!

This type of sterile conjecture is going beyond anything that should be considered legal, and I firmly hope Tim Cook starts going after these vermin.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Apple needs to catch up quickly with other leading smartphone manufacturers.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Hasn't anyone here found it ironic, that this "report" comes out on the same day that Apple has announced the date for their next quarterly report call?

You mean April Fool's Day?  What could possibly be fishy about an iPhone phablet announcement on April Fool's Day...  ;) 

• Reply 12 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    May be that is what Tim Cook was referring to as new product Category. When our usage of iPhone isn't very much a phone at all. It is more like a Gaming / Internet / Muti Media Devices more then anything.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

May be that is what Tim Cook was referring to as new product Category. When our usage of iPhone isn't very much a phone at all. It is more like a Gaming / Internet / Muti Media Devices more then anything.

Here's my guess:

iPhone mini = 3.5", taking design clues from the iPhone 5C

iPhone = 4.7" replacing the 4", the idea is to differentiate the bigger iPhone from the original size.

iPod (Touch) = 5.5" , targeted to gamers. Definitely not a phone anymore.

• Reply 14 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) What? No 4" iPhone anymore? Ah, April Fools Day. This is getting a little childish.

2) And that 5.5" screen could be for an iWatch from Samsung.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Isn't this "news" were modified year after year from 3 to 4 to 5...to 6? OMG....how creative and innovative does a journalist needs to be about the screen delays time after time?
  • Reply 16 of 49

im ok with this. An iOS device capable of phone calls with a 5.5" display and a bunch of upgrades over my 4S... yes please!

• Reply 17 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Did anyone really think Apple was building a 5.5" phablet? No. What's allegedly delayed never existed, other than as one of many prototypes in the design lab.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    And we know what's going on.

The iPhone with bigger screen will be an ultra compact ultra thin, light phone with as thin bezel as possible to hit a perfect balance of big screen and form factor.

If this iPhone will be able to make people of smaller screened iPhones upgrade and (more importantly) at the same time convince phone users who want over 4" display to buy iPhone, even convincing some of the over 5" users to upgrade (like people who upgrade from iPad to iPad mini) sales will be so high that Apple doesn't need to make a crippled clumsy phone/tiny tablet type of device and so they will not release the even bigger iPhone.

If the sales will be lowered by number of people waiting for an even larger iPhone Apple will make one later ! Pretty simple and great strategy.

I personally think that the 1 scenario will happen, because I think that most small tablet users use these because of specs (bigger phone=better specs, lots of people is fooled by paper specs so they buy the biggest phone with "best specs") and if you can offer them a lot smaller phone with not so much smaller display and over the top specs you won them over to your side... But Apple never offered great specs by measures of other companies.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    eric38 wrote: »
    Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
    The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There is no 5.5" iPhone.