Apple updates iWork for iOS, OS X and iCloud with enhanced usability, graphics tweaks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a series of updates to the iCloud versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, including new iOS and OS X app versions, as the company continues to refine its web-based productivity suite.

iWork

On iCloud, all three applications gained new Retina display-ready graphical assets as well as the ability to open files directly from iCloud Mail. Additionally, users can now share documents with a 'view only' security setting.

Pages

Pages received a new document editor design, improved text wrap, and new document templates for iCloud. Users can also edit charts contained in imported documents. The view only option is also available on the iOS and Mac versions.

Pages

For iOS, Pagesbrings the following enhancements:
  • New "view only" setting lets you share documents you want others to view but not edit
  • Search documents by name
  • Inline images and shapes in table cells are preserved on import
  • Better placement of inserted and pasted objects
  • New Arabic and Hebrew templates
  • Improved support for bi-directional text
  • Word count for Hebrew
  • Improved ePub export
  • Control the z-order of bubble chart labels
  • Usability improvements
Pages for Mac was also updated on Tuesday and adds the following features to those seen above:
  • Delete, duplicate and reorder sections using the page navigator
  • Copy-paste style improvements
  • Improved Instant Alpha image editing
  • Media Browser improvements, including search
  • Improved AppleScript support
  • Create custom data formats
  • Show rulers as a percentage of document size
  • Improved text box behaviour
  • Improved EndNote support, including citations in footnotes
  • Improved ePub export
Pages is a free download from the iOS and Mac App Stores for new device owners.

Numbers

Apple's Numbers (iOS, OS X)was was given a fresh coat of paint, with the Excel competitor gaining improved pop-up menu support for more complex spreadsheets.

In addition to the read-only feature introduced in Pages, Numbers for iOS includes:
  • Search spreadsheets by name
  • Progress indicator for calculations
  • Faster CSV import
  • Improved Microsoft Excel compatibility
  • Usability improvements
The Mac version includes the same improvements plus the following:
  • Set margins in print setup
  • Create headers and footers in print setup
  • New printing options: page numbering, page ordering and zoom
  • Create custom table styles
  • Drag and drop a CSV file directly into a sheet
  • Automatically update an existing table by dragging in a CSV file
  • Cell-based import feedback
  • Usability improvements
Numbers for iOS and OS X can be downloaded via the appropriate App Stores.

Keynote

Keynote (iOS, OS X) was not left off of the visual tweak train, with the new iCloud version bringing an updated presentation editor design. Like Pages, Keynote users can also edit charts in imported documents.

For iOS:
  • Use your finger to illustrate on slides as you present
  • New "view only" setting lets you share presentations you want others to view but not edit
  • New portrait layout option in presenter display
  • Search presentations by name
  • New transitions and builds: Object Revolve, Drift and Scale, and Skid
  • Export to PPTX format
  • Detailed presentation import feedback
  • Improved animation performance
  • Improved bi-directional support: switch direction for text, lists and tables
  • Usability improvements
The Mac version adds the following:
  • Improved Presenter Display layouts and labels
  • Improved Magic Move including text morphing
  • Apply motion blur to animations
  • Show rulers as a percentage of document size
  • Directly specify start and end points of movies
  • Export to PPTX format
  • Support for animated GIFs
  • Allow objects on slide to layer with master
  • Usability improvements
Keynote is available now in the iOS and Mac App Stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Awesome updates. Those people who incessantly bitched about Apple "neutering" iWork should humbly eat their words, considering the pace that Apple is improving the suite- which is already more powerful than the version it replaced.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Awesome updates. Those people who incessantly bitched about Apple "neutering" iWork should humbly eat their words, considering the pace that Apple is improving the suite- which is already more powerful than the version it replaced.
    And I would imagine for most people (non-enterprise) the free iWork suite will more than meet their needs. Personally I think this is a big FU to everyone who assumed once these programs became free Apple would have no incentive to update them or make them better.

One thing I wish Apple would do is treat their stock iOS apps the same way so we could get regular updates/improvements to mail, calendar, notes, weather, etc. outside of major yearly iOS releases (or even .1 releases).
  • Reply 3 of 58
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

First time I am seeing Center Alignment for Bullet'd lines.

• Reply 4 of 58
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And I would imagine for most people (non-enterprise) the free iWork suite will more than meet their needs. Personally I think this is a big FU to everyone who assumed once these programs became free Apple would have no incentive to update them or make them better.

One thing I wish Apple would do is treat their stock iOS apps the same way so we could get regular updates/improvements to mail, calendar, notes, weather, etc. outside of major yearly iOS releases (or even .1 releases).

I agree. For my needs, iWork works well for me and these latest updates are great.

• Reply 5 of 58
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    rogifan wrote: »

Exactly. I'm exercising great restraint by not lighting up the two whine-fest threads on the Apple forums with a huge told-you-so. The FUD spreaders will no doubt deny the whole thing, insisting Apple is trying to screw their customers. Haha
  • Reply 6 of 58
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Depends on your definition of "more powerful" I suppose, but until Page Layout mode returns to Pages, I'll continue to use the pre-neutered version :) I'm afraid I also vastly preferred the inspector (and the ability to have multiple inspector panels open simultaneously) to the side panels the new versions have. Admittedly, I'll likely get used to that change and stop my whining, but I'll continue to moan about the removal of major functionality to Pages until it (hopefully) returns.

• Reply 7 of 58
    I agree with the positive posts above. I think it was brilliant of Apple to redesign the iWork suite. And to make it free. Compared to MS Word and excell, iWork is a dream!

Best
  • Reply 8 of 58
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    My problem is that this version of iWork -- in particular, Keynote -- is not superior for my needs compared to iWork 09. Lots of good and useful functionality has been taken out, and not enough that is good and new put in. Moreover, unless I have the option to export to iWork 09, I have absolutely no incentive to switch yet. It also changed file-saving etc. protocols in significant ways, messing up my workflow.

Pages and Numbers are pretty good, however, compared to '09.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    qoheletqohelet Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Depends on your definition of "more powerful" I suppose, but until Page Layout mode returns to Pages, I'll continue to use the pre-neutered version :) I'm afraid I also vastly preferred the inspector (and the ability to have multiple inspector panels open simultaneously) to the side panels the new versions have. Admittedly, I'll likely get used to that change and stop my whining, but I'll continue to moan about the removal of major functionality to Pages until it (hopefully) returns.

Page Layout exists already; Go to file and hit "Convert to Page Layout"

• Reply 10 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now make all the iWork apps free across iOS and and OS X without the requirement users to buy a new device, just like Mavericks. This would allow iWork to take over document creation. Just like how Mavericks is becoming standard on every Mac since 2008. These are platform strengtheners. They make the platform more appealing: this sells hardware. It's a hardware business. Apple has proven this stuff works. This would play to their strengths and put them in a stronger position against their competitors.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    robfogrobfog Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My problem is that this version of iWork -- in particular, Keynote -- is not superior for my needs compared to iWork 09. Lots of good and useful functionality has been taken out, and not enough that is good and new put in. Moreover, unless I have the option to export to iWork 09, I have absolutely no incentive to switch yet. It also changed file-saving etc. protocols in significant ways, messing up my workflow.

You can export to iWork 09 as far as I can tell. Also, have you tried the latest versions – "in particular, Keynote"?

• Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'm wondering what features are missing that you need? I'm genuinely curious. Also, have you tried the latest release?

• Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now make all the iWork apps free across iOS and and OS X without the requirement users to buy a new device, just like Mavericks. This would allow iWork to take over document creation. Just like how Mavericks is becoming standard on every Mac since 2008. These are platform strengtheners. They make the platform more appealing: this sells hardware. It's a hardware business. Apple has proven this stuff works. This would play to their strengths and put them in a stronger position against their competitors.

It probably has to do with accounting or possibly just pushing everyone to migrate to newer hardware. I'd take the less cynical route and say accounting, but who knows.

• Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

I think it'll get there. They have been adding features at a pretty solid tick, including adding back and even expanding AppleScript support. I think that adding all these features and having pretty strong parity across platforms has been a real boon.

• Reply 15 of 58
    onkeronker Posts: 1member

The latest update to Numbers still hasn't fixed the problem of not being able to filter and subtotal annual tables by month.  There is a workaround but it's not pretty.  Otherwise Numbers is brilliant.  Please sort this out soon Apple - I'm not the only one who needs it.  Thanks.

• Reply 16 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

iWork 09 did a pretty good job of opening and saving in native MS Office formats. Not perfect but pretty good. In corporate environments, people share a lot of Office documents, they make Word templates so all corporate communication is standardized, Those institutions are going to be very reluctant to give up their Office apps and switch to iWork.

If Apple wanted to really stick it to Microsoft, they should do everything they can to read and save Office documents in every detail, down to the smallest feature or obscure formula. Then Apple users could confidently switch to iWork with 100% compatibility with Office. At that point even the most stubborn Office holdouts would have no argument and iWork could be thought of as an equal within the corporate world..

• Reply 17 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    slurpy wrote: »

In all fairness people had a lot of reasons to bitch six months ago. In Apple's defense they have been releasing steady updates to address many of the complaints. If this would have been the version released last year there would have been a lot less bitching.

Apparently they were under the gun to get something released before MS Office made its big debut.

Good updates Apple, keep it coming, you're not done yet.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:

This version fully fixes page layout mode. The re-order page by thumbnail is finally fixed

Go into document settings and uncheck the "document body" (gives you a vertical ruler)

You can also open a few panels at the same time - Arrange, Color, and Adjust image are all separate. 

I can build any pro design in pages - in fact I prefer it over indesign. If they would just fix the color output (everything technically is RGB - output to indesign to fix) and give me the option to open up the character spacing instead of hiding it in an advanced drop down I will be golden.

• Reply 19 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan005 View Post

I can build any pro design in pages - in fact I prefer it over indesign.

Wow! I have rarely used Pages for anything other than opening Word docs so I really don't know much about it, but you honestly put it in the same category as inDesign?  Perhaps it is one of those situations where Pages does 100% of what 80% of users need. inDesign is a really powerful application and I know it inside and out, which took years of constant use and study. I really don't have any reference point to compare it to Pages because I don't know anything about Pages.

• Reply 20 of 58
    mstone wrote: »
    iWork 09 did a pretty good job of opening and saving in native MS Office formats. Not perfect but pretty good. In corporate environments, people share a lot of Office documents, they make Word templates so all corporate communication is standardized, Those institutions are going to be very reluctant to give up their Office apps and switch to iWork.

If Apple wanted to really stick it to Microsoft, they should do everything they can to read and save Office documents in every detail, down to the smallest feature or obscure formula. Then Apple users could confidently switch to iWork with 100% compatibility with Office. At that point even the most stubborn Office holdouts would have no argument and iWork could be thought of as an equal within the corporate world..

The thing is that as of right now I don't think Apple cares about that. Microsoft releasing Office on the iPad has that covered. I don't think Apple is even competing with Microsoft for enterprise customers in mobile, which is where the main part of Apple's business is. Apple and Microsoft are actually pretty solid allies. I don't think Apple is actually interested in sticking it to Microsoft. I think they are more interested in sticking it to Google. iWork is actually getting pretty solid, especially the web apps. I think sooner than later, they will far surpass than Google Docs.