OWC launches Mac Pro CPU and memory upgrade service

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2014
Other World Computing on Tuesday announced a new turnkey upgrade program for late-2013 Mac Pros that offers replacement Intel Xeon CPUs and cheaper memory options not available directly from Apple.

CPU
The Mac Pro's removable CPU. | Source: OWC

After confirming in December that Apple's newly redesigned Mac Pro incorporates a socketed CPU, OWC is now taking advantage of the aftermarket replacement opportunity with its Turnkey Upgrade Program.

Instead of purchasing a new CPU outright, customers send their existing Mac Pros to OWC, which swaps out the old chip for one of four upgrade options. The process is akin to a trade-in program. Four Intel Xeon E5 options are available, including a 2.6GHz 8-Core model and a 3.0GHz 10-Core chip not sold by Apple.

OWC's CPU pricing (including trade-in of old processor):
  • Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2 8-Core 2.6GHz with 20MB Cache -- $1498
  • Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 8-Core 3.3GHz with 25MB Cache -- $2448
  • Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 10-Core 3.0GHz with 25MB Cache -- $2396
  • Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 12-Core 2.7GHz with 30MB Cache -- $2978
The company noted all configurations, which are 25 percent to 45 percent faster than base factory processors, have been tested and meet or surpass Apple's thermal standards. They are also up to 31 percent cheaper than upgrading through the Apple Store at time of purchase.

Along with the CPUs, the firm is also selling memory upgrades as part of the program, with capacities coming in at 32GB (8GB x 4), 64GB (16GB x 4), 96GB (32GB x 3) and 128GB (32GB x 4). Pricing starts at $450 and moves up to $2130, lower than Transcend's third-party DIMMs launched in March. MacMall also sells Axiom 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMMs for $620 per stick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Let me know when they offer a dual processor upgrade

• Reply 2 of 17
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Who cares. Does not run Windows 8.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    $250 a core. Not bad. Too bad I will never know someone who can afford one. Ever.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Windows 8 sucks anyway.

• Reply 5 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cpsro wrote: »

So... Never, then, since it's physically impossible.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Newegg looks cheaper (about $200 less for the CPUs) and does not use a trade-in program.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    negafox wrote: »
    Newegg looks cheaper (about $200 less for the CPUs) and does not use a trade-in program.

That's because:

1. They don't do the work for you.
    2. They couldn't care less whether the product you buy actually works at all, much less has the rest of your system recognize it.

Yes, that's my experience with Newegg. Shame, because I used to have no problems buying products from them. Oh well.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Actually, Macs with Intel cpu's can run Windows, have been so for years (thanks to Apples own software BootCamp that partitions the HD for installing Windows on a separate partition).

The recent BootCamp-versions have dropped support for Windows 7 or earlier though (not sure why), and only supports Windows 8 and later instead.

• Reply 9 of 17

Hmmm, for $1500 I can sell my existing MP and buy a new one that's one step up.

And the thing you actually want to upgrade, GPUs, still no solution there.

• Reply 10 of 17
    Dude, I did not know the Mac Pro does not run Windows 8. Could that be because it is not true?

Trolls are everywhere.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Can you prove it or is this one of those statements [@]nht[/@] believes is just conjecture so therefore it's perfectly reasonable stated as a fact even though it's not true?

BTW, it's Windows 7 that isn't supported by Bootcamp in the Late-2013 Mac Pro which means you'll have to install Window 8 or use an app like Parallels or VMWare.

I'm told the reason is because Win7 doesn't support the modern system component the Mac Pro is built on, not for some artificial reason by Apple, but I doubt you'd believe that even I posted a video of Tim Cook explaining it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Dude, I did not know the Mac Pro does not run Windows 8. Could that be because it is not true?

Trolls are everywhere.

Just an apple hater troll likely.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Can you prove it or is this one of those statements [@]nht[/@] believes is just conjecture so therefore it's perfectly reasonable stated as a fact even though it's not true?

BTW, it's Windows 7 that isn't supported by Bootcamp in the Late-2013 Mac Pro which means you'll have to install Window 8 or use an app like Parallels or VMWare.

I'm told the reason is because Win7 doesn't support the modern system component the Mac Pro is built on, not for some artificial reason by Apple, but I doubt you'd believe that even I posted a video of Tim Cook explaining it.
    It really only needs to run latest software realistly, it's only wind 8 seeming worse that throws.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So... Never, then, since it's physically impossible.

Oh, was the /sarcasm flag really necessary? When Apple ships a dual-processor Mac Pro, it will be possible.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Oh, was the /sarcasm flag really necessary? When Apple ships a dual-processor Mac Pro, it will be possible.

And will they? They don’t seem to be that company anymore.

I’d love to see a 1:2 or 2:1 BTO Mac Pro. Heck, I’d love to see a slightly modified set of daughterboards and cooling core to allow four panels inside that case. 2:2. I just don’t see it happening.

• Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And will they? They don’t seem to be that company anymore.

I’d love to see a 1:2 or 2:1 BTO Mac Pro. Heck, I’d love to see a slightly modified set of daughterboards and cooling core to allow four panels inside that case. 2:2. I just don’t see it happening.

It will be called the Mac Pro Air. Postings on AI will happen milliseconds faster.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It will be called the Mac Pro Air. Postings on AI will happen milliseconds faster.

Five people will demand a model that is 1.5” larger in diameter. Analysts will claim that this model is the only thing that will save Apple.

• Reply 17 of 17
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    cpsro wrote: »

Won't happen, and the new MacPro is not the same type of desktop that the previous one was. The previous models were Xeon DP, the current ones are Socket 2011 which allows UP/DP/QP configurations, but I somehow doubt that Apple will make a DP configuration when the base model can already can scale from Quad-core to 12-core on the same socket.

That said, I still think Apple should license one "clone" manufacturer to produce high-end workstation and servers that can be rack mounted. Apple doesn't seem to interested in tackling the traditional desktop PC space or the high-end workstation/server space any more than they have any interest in a cheap smartphone market. That doesn't mean they can't license the OS to a single company and hold a gun to their head about what exact parts and build quality are expected or they will not permit the OS to run on it.