NYT releases NYTNow subscription-based app, Fantastical 2 comes to iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Two interesting new developments hit the App Store this week, as the New York Times officially released its iOS-first "NYTNow" subscription app and replacement calendar Fantastical 2 launched a new iPad version.

NYTNow

NYTNow is a new subscription service from the Old Grey Lady aimed at readers who get most of their news via a smartphone. Users can access up to 10 articles per month for free, or unlimited content for a monthly $7.99 subscription.

The app features an editor-curated selection of top stories, along with article summaries that the paper hopes will make it quicker for readers to get an overview of the news. A "morning briefing" that collates the most important stories of the day is also available, as is an "Our Picks" section that collects top stories from non-NYT sources.

NYTNow version 1.0.1 is available now as a free, 5.8MB download from the App Store.

Fantastical 2

Flexibits's popular iPhone calendar app, Fantastical 2, has received a tablet-ready makeover and is now available for Apple's iPad. The app, which sports an all-new user interface, is a separate purchase and download from its iPhone counterpart.

While most features are the same between the two versions, Flexibits has added one iPad-only function that it calls the Fantastical Dashboard. The dashboard connects the calendar and event list and puts all the user's calendar data on-screen at the same time, allowing users to quickly switch views with a simple gesture.

Fantastical 2 for iPad is now available as a $9.99, 17.7MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

The best way to get NYT on your iPad and iPhone  is to subscribe to the hard copy Sunday Times ONLY. 

You get all access. Anything else is a RIP OFF.

• Reply 2 of 3
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The best way to get NYT on your iPad and iPhone  is to subscribe to the hard copy Sunday Times ONLY. 

You get all access. Anything else is a RIP OFF.

That is $233.60 per year according to my calculations verses $99,88 per year for digital only, What am I missing?

• Reply 3 of 3
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is $233.60 per year according to my calculations verses $99,88 per year for digital only, What am I missing?

That is for condensed articles (snackable bites) rewritten for smart phone only. Mine includes complete unlimited full articles on iPhone , iPad and any browser your heart desires. Otherwise-why bother?