BlackBerry cuts ties with T-Mobile, signals new carrier-independent business strategy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Beleaguered handset maker BlackBerry on Tuesday said it would be severing ties with U.S. wireless carrier T-Mobile, suggesting the company is reducing reliance on carriers to sell product.

Q10
BlackBerry Q10. | Source: BlackBerry

As noted by The Wall Street Journal, BlackBerry's unexpected decision to not renew its contract with T-Mobile is a departure from handset maker's usual strategy of leaning on carrier marketing to drive sales. The company last year announced plans to discontinue service fees applied to carriers for routing BB Messenger traffic through its own servers.

"Regretfully, at this time, our strategies are not complementary and we must act in the best interest of our BlackBerry customers," said BlackBerry CEO John Chen. "We hope to work with T-Mobile again in the future when our business strategies are aligned."

The move comes some two months after company CEOs exchanged barbs over a promotion for Apple's iPhone 5. At the time, T-Mobile sent out emails detailing a "great offer for BlackBerry customers," suggesting they switch over to Apple's smartphone. In a post to BlackBerry's official blog in February, Chen expressed "outrage" at T-Mobile, which apparently did not discuss the deal prior to sending out the promotional emails.

While Tuesday's announcement was not based solely on the iPhone 5 flap, BlackBerry's shift in strategy can be viewed as symptomatic of the firm's struggle to remain relevant in a quickly-changing smartphone landscape. Even top-level executives are jumping ship, including SVP of Software Sebastien Marineau-Mes, who was sued to fulfill his contract terms with BlackBerry after being poached by Apple last year.

With a less than one-percent share of the U.S. smartphone market, which according to research firm IDC is down drastically from about 50 percent five years ago, the Canadian company is seemingly flailing about in what could be its final death throes.

In usual form, T-Mobile CEO John Legere took to Twitter, offering a blunt -- if not brusque -- commentary on the situation.

"We value all customers but this is 1+% of our base total and a small fraction of what we add quarterly," Legere said. In a follow-up tweet directed at a follower, the executive said, "I can't, for the life of me, understand why @BlackBerry would take choices away from customers."

For its part, BlackBerry promised to work with T-Mobile to ensure current customers are unaffected by the contract cancellation, but it has yet to outline a solution that will cover revenue lost by the contract non-renewal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

carrier-independent business strategy

Read: We’re going bankrupt, you know we’re going bankrupt, we know we’re going bankrupt; we’ll just slip out the back while everyone’s looking the other way.

• Reply 2 of 31
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

anyone else hear a toilet flushing sound?

• Reply 3 of 31
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Read: We’re going bankrupt, you know we’re going bankrupt, we know we’re going bankrupt; we’ll just slip out the back while everyone’s looking the other way.

Well, everyone but the shareholders.

• Reply 4 of 31
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member

Without a carrier, who is going to pretend to try to sell them?

• Reply 5 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I was reading another account of the exchange where T-Mobile said that their demographic is very young and those customers just don't care about Blackberry at all. It was implied that T-Mobile told Blackberry to take a hike, not the other way around.

• Reply 6 of 31
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    I'm sure T-Mobile is absolutely devastated that they have to stop selling phones no one buys.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

I suspect truth is that T-mobile were no longer willing to waste valuable shelf space on Blackberry products which no longer sell.

• Reply 8 of 31
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Their strategies are not complementary. T-Mobile likes to sell phones, and Blackberry doesn't... that's my take away.

• Reply 9 of 31

Bye-bye T-Mobile? I'd like to see Blackberry's Plan B.

• Reply 10 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Bye-bye T-Mobile? I'd like to see Blackberry's Plan B.

Well, plan C was BB OS 10. We’re on plan D right now.

Plan A was hiring two CEOs.

• Reply 11 of 31
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    T-Mobile is basically saying "Oh? Bye, Felicia."
  • Reply 12 of 31
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

I don't think Chen has a good grip on the industry yet, this is a blindingly stupid move.

• Reply 13 of 31
    I heard Susie Oaks (very funny gal) on a recent Macworld podcast (Pundits Showdown-really recommend-very funny) say, "Apple should just buy BB for no other reason than to add a new wing to the smartphone museum! "

:)

Best
  • Reply 14 of 31
    xburkxburk Posts: 2member
    Wow, I love Apple, but I'm not a super fan boy that does not realize BlackBerry is onto something with BB10. I remember Apple was going through the exact same thing years ago. I just saw this YouTube video that really has me thinking of a Z30 from BlackBerry. Can do way more than Apple can do for me at this point. Just saying.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I know what you all are thinking: Blackberry is still around?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'm still surprised that we're even reading anythiong about BB, since I predicted their death almost 2 years ago.

Who woulda thought that they would cling to dear life longer than a bullhead out of water?*

* Not to make fun of an animal's misery... I asure you it's only an anology off the top of my head!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Blackberry had pretty big cash reserves iirc. Though surely they're dwindling now after what seems like years of losses.

Shame, I was rooting for them to pull through and thought BB10 looked interesting. Still do, but hopes of it happening are falling every day.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Is Blackberry really in a position where they can burn bridges?

• Reply 19 of 31
    evilution wrote: »
    Is Blackberry really in a position where they can burn bridges?

It probably won't stop what happens next to them.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Regretfully, at this time, our strategies are not complementary and we must act in the best interest of our BlackBerry customers," said BlackBerry CEO John Chen. "We hope to work with T-Mobile again in the future when our business strategies are aligned."

BlackBerry needs to swallow their pride. They are not in the position to be behaving in this manner. Their smart phone market share has been plummeting over the last few years to where even Windows Phone has overtaken them and they are quickly becoming irrelevant.

This is akin to the Home Shopping Network pulling their channel from Time Warner Cable's line-up as a "we will show you!" Nobody would care.