Apple's WWDC 2014 kicks off June 2, tickets to be issued by random selection April 7

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, where the company traditionally unveils the next generation of its iOS mobile operating system, will kick off on June 2 this year, with randomly selected attendees set to be announced next week.

Developers can register for WWDC, which will be held as usual at Moscone West, starting today, through next Monday, April 7 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. They will be issued through random selection that same day, and developers will be notified of their status by 5 p.m. Pacific, 8 p.m. Eastern.

"We have the most amazing developer community in the world and have a great week planned for them," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Every year the WWDC audience becomes more diverse, with developers from almost every discipline you can imagine and coming from every corner of the globe. We look forward to sharing with them our latest advances in iOS and OS X so they can create the next generation of great apps."

Registration is now available at developer.apple.com/wwdc/.

Apple also announced that 200 student scholarships will be available, giving students around the world the chance to earn a free ticket. In addition, this year the National Center for Women & Information Technology and its alliance partners will help promote scholarships to female engineers and coders.

Events scheduled for WWDC 2014 include:
  • More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
  • more than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
  • the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
  • the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world--last year more than 60 countries were represented;
  • a new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
  • engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.
Apple also announced that the June 2 State of the Union session and the Apple Design Awards will be live streamed via the WWDC website, allowing developers from around the world access to the latest information in real time. Videos from all technical sessions will be posted throughout the week on the Apple Developer website and will be available to all registered developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Can't wait for Apple Design Awards. 

• Reply 2 of 76
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Hmmm, if you're lucky enough to get selected could you then sell your ticket for a HUGE profit? Could Apple stop you doing that?

• Reply 3 of 76
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) sold out in...4 minutes this time?

2) WWDC iOS app #4?

3) if there's one thing Samsung or Google can't copy, it the vibrancy of these yearly 'get togethers'

4) scalpers?
    Edit: pipped by [@]saarek[/@]
  • Reply 4 of 76
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Hmmm, if you're lucky enough to get selected could you then sell your ticket for a HUGE profit? Could Apple stop you doing that?

If I remember correctly, the tickets can't be re-sold (scalped). They can only be used by the registered owner. Does this mean they check your ID when you get your badge? Don't remember since I haven't been to a WWDC for several years.

• Reply 5 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »

2) WWDC iOS app #4?

3) if there's one thing Samsung or Google can't copy, it the vibrancy of these yearly 'get togethers'

4) scalpers?
    Using a lottery so there is nothing to "sell out".
  • Reply 6 of 76
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

When you get to the event, you need present evidence you are the person that bought the ticket. e.g.  your ticket is signed by the buyers AppleID.

• Reply 7 of 76
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

I'm curious of 

1) how many 'invited' developers there will be?  I can't see Apple ignoring some of the leading iOS/OSX core developer teams

2) how it will address non attendee's need to know.   Will most sessions be available 'faster?' than last time?   Will there be social media (FaceTime/messages) access from non-attendees to interact with presenters?

• Reply 8 of 76
    I like how Apple is doing it this year. Lots of lead time and doing the lottery allows them to really know how many people want to attend and from where. Should give them a good idea if a second WWDC, maybe in Europe, is needed.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Seems like Apple has big and brand new things this year.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Seems like Apple has big and brand new things this year.

Don't they have every year???

• Reply 11 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I like how Apple is doing it this year. Lots of lead time and doing the lottery allows them to really know how many people want to attend and from where. Should give them a good idea if a second WWDC, maybe in Europe, is needed.

I think they would be a good idea, to have a second developers conference in Europe for those on the other side of the world. Then you could have language specific Apple engineers in Europe for the individual countries and it would also help with the US one filling up. I guess one could also argue Apple should also have one in Asia as well. 

• Reply 12 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Seems from the invite that Apple TV will get love.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Awesome - looking forward to the next ios, and any other secret announcements!
  • Reply 14 of 76
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    philboogie wrote: »

You have no clue what you're talking about. This lottery system is exactly what Google already is doing for Google I/O because it's so popular and sells out within minutes. The demand to get into Google I/O is just as high as the Apple Conference. Stop spreading untrue information.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    daphreevdaphreev Posts: 42member

The second picture looks like an Apple TV.

• Reply 16 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Well at least confirmation that we will indeed see the next version of OS X as well. Syrah, or whatever it was called internally.

• Reply 17 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daphreev View Post

The second picture looks like an Apple TV.

???

They all look like App Icons.

• Reply 18 of 76
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    You have no clue what you're talking about. This lottery system is exactly what Google already is doing for Google I/O because it's so popular and sells out within minutes. The demand to get into Google I/O is just as high as the Apple Conference. Stop spreading untrue information.
    Last years Google I/O sold out in under an hour according to the Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4093792/google-io-2013-registration-now-open-for-developers. WWDC sold out in 71 seconds according to Apple. Google I/O never sold out as fast as WWDC. WWDC is still the most popular non-gaming developer conference.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last years Google I/O sold out in under an hour according to the Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4093792/google-io-2013-registration-now-open-for-developers. WWDC sold out in 71 seconds according to Apple. Google I/O never sold out as fast as WWDC. WWDC is still the most popular non-gaming developer conference.

I'm not sure that means one event or the other is necessarily 'more popular' - we don't know anything about numbers.

• Reply 20 of 76
    Google event is to award and showcase which one copied the best and another category is who lost more money for Google