Obama administration upset over alleged Samsung 'selfie' publicity stunt

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
The White House is reportedly unhappy with South Korean electronics maker Samsung, over allegations that the company sponsored a "selfie" to which President Barack Obama was inadvertently a party.

The incident took place this week, when the World Series champion Boston Red Sox were recognized by the White House. At the event, designated hitter David Ortiz asked the president if the two of them could pose for a "selfie" with his Samsung smartphone, and Obama obliged, while one of Ortiz's Red Sox teammates yelled "cha-ching" in the background, mimicking the sound of a cash register.
The White House had "no idea" David Ortiz was sponsored by Samsung, and officials are reportedly "not happy" that the president was roped into what is alleged to have been a promotional stunt.
Since then, it's been noted that Ortiz is actually sponsored by Samsung, leading to allegations that the stunt was paid for by the company. Samsung Mobile also retweeted the image to promote "Big Papi's" use of one of the Galaxy Note 3 handset.

Samsung was asked by the New York Daily News whether the picture was sponsored, and the company issued a statement saying that officials "worked with David and the team on how to share images with fans," but that the company "didn't know if or what he would be able to capture."

After Ortiz's sponsorship was brought to light, the White House told CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante that it had "no idea" the picture was a promotional effort by Samsung. He revealed that White House officials are "not happy" about the incident, but they have not made any requests to remove the tweets from Ortiz or Samsung.

"They don't want to appear heavy-handed," Plante said.

For his part, Ortiz has insisted that the photo with Obama was spontaneous, and was not sponsored by Samsung.

The incident marks the second time this year that Samsung has been connected to a high-profile celebrity "selfie" to promote its devices in the highly competitive smartphone space. At the Academy awards in March, Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres snapped a star-studded picture with a Galaxy Note as part of a sponsorship arrangement with Samsung. The comedienne also tweeted out other pictures taken that night with her iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Yeah, this is huge deal. Now close those illegal prisons and quite droning the shit outta the world.

• Reply 2 of 46
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"They don't want to appear heavy-handed," Plante said.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Since when?

• Reply 3 of 46
    World War III over a selfie.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, this is huge deal. Now close those illegal prisons and quite droning the shit outta the world.

Heaven forbid we mistreat prisoners. they deserve the best things in life

• Reply 5 of 46
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I guess Samsung is like a teenage girl that justifies her existence by how many selfies she can capture.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I guess Samsung is like a teenage girl that justifies her existence by how many selfies she can capture.

No need to defame teenage girls by likening them to Samsung.

• Reply 7 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Stupid POTUS.
    Once again degrades the office.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The White House is reportedly unhappy with South Korean electronics maker Samsung, over allegations that the company sponsored a "selfie" to which President Barack Obama was inadvertently a party.

The incident took place this week, when the World Series champion Boston Red Sox were recognized by the White House. At the event, designated hitter David Ortiz asked the president if the two of them could pose for a "selfie" with his Samsung smartphone...

Something tells me David Ortiz didn't say "my brutha can I snap a selfie with my SAMSUNG smartphone"? Obama is not my fav but then again he's not dumb as a fence post either.

With those sun glasses on my first look made me wonder why he was hugging up to either a spook or one of his Secret Service detail -- then I noticed the beard and the lack of a lapel pin.

I guess Samsung does live by the rule "the only bad press is none at only". Man they are slimy. 

• Reply 9 of 46
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

When Phil Schiller was asked about the ability of the original iPhone to take a selfie “like Ellen DeGeneres did during the Oscars,”

Selfies. The Samsung way my foot!

• Reply 10 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Samscum
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    ROFL. Oh, dang, is Obama upset? And I thought selfies were his thing...

I don't like either party, so I'm enjoying watching this play out - poetic justice in progress.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Look, all the miscreant children come out to play.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I'm less upset at Samsung than at Ortiz and the RedSox.   I'd expect him to act more like a statesman of the game (but hey... it's baseball).

(of course Johnny Gomes' dress was just so fashion wrong as well....  

who wears white pants before Memorial day? ;-) )

Personally, I think it's low class to sponsor-promote your trip to the White House...  I don't think it's as fine a line as some make it out.  Ortiz knows he's on Samsung's payroll, and he's cashing out on the deal.... he's not some semi-poor 20 something amateur  who may have gotten training expenses from her sponsors prior to becoming a miracle at the winter olympics and snapping a  very much personal (in social media is anything personal) souvenir    Papi is a 38yo 100Millionaire. 

Would he take a selfie at the open casket of, say, Pete Rose or Peter Gammons [not wishing either dead]? and post the picture on Twitter?  

(well, if Samsung says so for $100K...[and I'm sure agents who get their 15% would suggest it]  maybe...).

Respect the Office, and Respect your ability to win when it mattered...

• Reply 14 of 46
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

ROFL. Oh, dang, is emperor Obama upset? And I thought selfies were his thing...

I don't like either party, so I'm enjoying watching this play out - poetic justice in progress.

If it improves the politics ('optics') of the person in office... it's all good.  

However, you certainly don't want the end game.  "Welcome to the GoDaddy.com Press Briefing Room in the Benjamin Moore 'Regal White' White House... Today's Briefing is sponsored by Netflix.com, where House of Cards 3 is available for download now on your complimentary Press Pool Microsoft Surface Reporter Pros, and Press Secretary's Nissen's wardrobe was provided for promotional consideration by Macys.com... Macy's, where 'Projecting Power is a Macy's Man's Strong Suit'"

• Reply 15 of 46
    It was a scam, but Samsung knew nothing about it. They never know anything about it, same as the earlier flagship launch in Korea, they knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about it.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

After Bush I'm not sure it's possible to "degrade the office any lower."

• Reply 17 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Looking forward to Ortiz being spotted with his iPhone, having put the SameDung phone back in its box after cashing his endorsement check.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I see they even got a token white guy in the picture. :lol:
  • Reply 19 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

After Bush I'm not sure it's possible to "degrade the office any lower."

I think "Tricky Dick" was way worse. "W" wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he wasn't evil, in my opinion, not like Nixon was.

• Reply 20 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Heaven forbid we mistreat prisoners. they deserve the best things in life

It's likely you misunderstand the meaning of the words "illegal" and "prisoner."

"Prisoner" is a category which includes innocent people.

And the law is the law, with good reason when it comes to human rights, no matter which complete strangers you would like to see "mistreated."