Disable Safari Address Bar Auto-Complete?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2014

Is there a way, either through the terminal or via script, to disable the auto-complete "feature" in Safari? I hate typing in an address and Safari suggesting sites for me. I've already disabled the search engine and top site suggestions.

The main reason I this frustrates me is because I use Little Snitch and Safari hits each site that pops up as I type a name into the menu bar.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by aldarion1978 View Post

The main reason I this frustrates me is because I use Little Snitch and Safari hits each site that pops up as I type a name into the menu bar.

If that’s all, just change your Little Snitch settings. Or do this:

• Reply 2 of 5

Thanks, but I already clicked those two boxes long ago. That doesn't stop Safari from using the history or bookmarks to auto-complete the address bar.

Also, the point of little snitch is to stop internet connections. I don't want safari to establish connections that I haven't specifically asked for. I don't want additional cookies installed from sites that I haven't visited but are loaded anyway because when I type "a" "appleinsider.com" preloads. When I want to visit appleinsider, I'll specifically go there.

One work around is to type a space before entering the website, but that's a clumsy fix.

So again, besides limiting search engine suggestions and top sites, is there a way to completely disable safari's auto-complete "feature"?

• Reply 3 of 5
    Originally Posted by aldarion1978 View Post

Thanks, but I already clicked those two boxes long ago. That doesn't stop Safari from using the history or bookmarks to auto-complete the address bar.

Yeah, but it won’t be loading anything when you are autocompleting.

Also, the point of little snitch is to stop internet connections. I don't want safari to establish connections that I haven't specifically asked for.

And yet you seem to want to do exactly the opposite here.

I don't want additional cookies installed from sites that I haven't visited but are loaded anyway because when I type "a" "appleinsider.com" preloads.

You can’t stop that in the first place. Cookies get installed regardless of if you want them to be.

So again, besides limiting search engine suggestions and top sites, is there a way to completely disable safari's auto-complete "feature"? 

Again, ticking that box stops preloading as you type of the top hit. To stop it entirely, tick that box, delete all your bookmarks, and only ever use Private Browsing so that you have no history.

• Reply 4 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

You can’t stop that in the first place. Cookies get installed regardless of if you want them to be.
    You can't reject cookies in the settings? Maybe not but I thought that was the big issue with Google a few months ago and why they stopped bypassing user settings.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Maybe not but I thought that was the big issue with Google a few months ago and why they stopped bypassing user settings.

My only guess is that Google’s method has been hijacked by everyone else. I’ll dump everything, turn them off entirely, visit sites, and come back with 20 cookies.