To increase market share, why NOT offer the OLD iMac HEADLESS?

jrcjrc
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You know, the 500/600/700 G3 iMacs would make a great product for Apple to increase the price competitiveness against other lines.

If they chopped off the monitor and offered it even sans KB/Mouse, you'd think they could get the 500 down to $550 - $600. That might be enough to bring in a few more buyers to the platform. Also, think about how small it would be with the a power brick EXTERNAL (why add the heat to the MB?), and just the motherboard/hd/cd.

Then, people can pick whichever monitor they want, or use the one they already have. That could make it a cheaper buying decision.

Now, I'm not talking to the mac-loving, style-orgy side of you guys. I'm talking to the average consumer. You guys are WAY BEYOND the average consumer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I think this is the first time i have ever wanted to support a headless imac. If apple did offer one for $500 i would potentially buy one. But anything more than 600 would be too much. As of now i plan on keeping my 333 iMac until after MWNY 2003, at which time i will buy a new machine (most likely a portable) for school. For now i just want something with a little more power and better X support. Also if i had firewire i would most likely buy an ipod.

I"m sure i'm not the only one who would be willing to pay $500 for a relatively fast g3. It could be totally stripped down, say 20 gigs, 128 megs of ram, CD drive, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    The headless iMac thing is very viable, but Apple would never do that.

Atleast when the time comes to transition from a 15'' LCD to a 17'' LCD it will be relatively easy.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It just doesn't sound like a trivial engineering issue to chop the head off the old iMac. It would be a dramatically different computer.

Now the new iMac, that's a different story.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>You know, the 500/600/700 G3 iMacs would make a great product for Apple to increase the price competitiveness against other lines.

If they chopped off the monitor and offered it even sans KB/Mouse, you'd think they could get the 500 down to $550 - $600. That might be enough to bring in a few more buyers to the platform. Also, think about how small it would be with the a power brick EXTERNAL (why add the heat to the MB?), and just the motherboard/hd/cd.

Then, people can pick whichever monitor they want, or use the one they already have. That could make it a cheaper buying decision.

Now, I'm not talking to the mac-loving, style-orgy side of you guys. I'm talking to the average consumer. You guys are WAY BEYOND the average consumer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry but what would be the attractiveness of a headless cheap iMac with sucky specs for 500-700 bucks? the people buying at that price point are cheap and generally just looking for the cheapest PC that they can get by on. any compnay that competes in that area doesn't do well. it's completely anti-apple practices and I honestly don't think it would do much for marketshare but likely do more damage to their bottom line

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>