Is the superdrive worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well.....

Next month I will be buying a PC and will not buy a Mac until October.

I am thinking about getting a Pioneer A-03 DVD-R drive for my G4. But is it worth it?

I already have an external CD burner and there's not really necessary to have two burners. Should I get rid of the external one and use that money to pay part of the Super Drive's cost or just forget about getting the super drive until I get my next PowerMac?

In general I am using DVD disc for data backup, no intention to make my video 'masterpiece' since I don't even have a video camera (pretty ironic for a FCP owner)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Personally I don't believe in using the DVD-R drive to burn CDR's. I would rather have two drives just in case. I think the DVD-R is worth it though. If you have Toast doesn't it support RW as well? That's pretty good.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Personally I don't believe in using the DVD-R drive to burn CDR's. I would rather have two drives just in case. I think the DVD-R is worth it though. If you have Toast doesn't it support RW as well? That's pretty good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the final version of Toast 5.1 for X does supports DVD-RW pretty decently
  • Reply 3 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    honestly don't know.

If I were to buy a stand-a-lone burner (not included with the system, not neccessarily external) I would likely wait till the next update to the drive. it seems like it is time to update it. it's still pretty slow (2X) and still pretty expensive
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Well, if you're strictly interested in data backup, here is another option. Not too much more expensive up front. Probably cheaper, per MB.

<a href="http://www.vxa.com/products/vxa-1-desc.cfm"; target="_blank">http://www.vxa.com/products/vxa-1-desc.cfm</a>;

You'll be able to read about it and draw the same conclusions as I would, so I won't state the obvious differences.

For example, it would never be able to burn a DVD, of course. Don't know how important that is to you.

If I remember correctly, you're not paying for this stuff....

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I have to pay for the drive myself unfortunately

However. I just was talking to a guy who has an extra one. Two months old.

He said if I want it I can get it for $600 CDN (no tax). He also would help me to sell my firewire CD burner.

If everything goes I maybe able to get a super drive for $300 CDN

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>