This is why I NEED a 1.6GHZ G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

I need a 1.6GHZ g5, because I am trying to create a small 5minute movie to accompant a new track I've composed in Cubase VST. These images are straight from Cinema4d which I did last night. The synth scenes are about half finished, Im adding more equipment!. When the scenes are finished I was hoping to add in my fully boned BADASS wolf to do some time-synched mixing, dancing, tripping to the music.

I say hoping, because on the synth scene, I am already down to a screen refresh of 1 frame=2 seconds without any animation. It also took just under 20 minutes to render the frame. Considering I need 30fps, Im talking about 10hrs for 1 second of animation. And what chance do I have of setting up releastic animation if I get down to 1 frame every 10 seconds? My G4 400 is lame at this. Beyond lame! And I am being very very careful to limit the polygon count (is about 10,000 at the moment)

Also factor in that I have to get said QT movie to sync with the video in VST, which is already running at 85% CPU usage (sometime in a couple of years away at this rate), and you probably realise that this whole project is doomed from the start.

But the whole point is moot, because I can't afford a G5, because Im unemployed, and have run up such a debt on Apple HW and software to achieve this little project, that I literally am thinking about filing for bankruptcy, so I probably won't have any computer in a few months.

Please Mr JOBS, I am looking for a Junior 3d position, so If anything comes up at PIXAR, then give me a shout!.

BTW. This thread is because Leonis emailed me, to find out what I did in C4D, (don't have a website yet) and because of the thread the other day, asking for people to show their work that would justify a 16.GHZ g5 (1.6GHZ gimme 70GHZ!)

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nevermind, you got it...

Niiiiice pic Marc.

Something tells me we're going to see alot of painted iMacs very soon. That looks really cool.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    That pic Rocks! Home Studio of the future!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well. Actually. For rendering stuff.

It's still better to have couple of boxes dedicated to rendering. No matter how fast the workstation is it's still slow compare to many machines

There's no way for Mac to be a rendering platform. The cost is way too way too way too way too way too expensive and slow

I agree with Marc. Apple need some kick ass PowerMacs! If they can't close the cpu performance gap they should at least make their video performance better (at least on par with the PC side)!

My decision to get two dual athlon boxes for rendering is very close to done deal by the way.......

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Well. Actually. For rendering stuff.

It's still better to have couple of boxes dedicated to rendering. No matter how fast the workstation is it's still slow compare to many machines

There's no way for Mac to be a rendering platform. The cost is way too way too way too way too way too expensive and slow

I agree with Marc. Apple need some kick ass PowerMacs! If they can't close the cpu performance gap they should at least make their video performance better (at least on par with the PC side)!

My decision to get two dual athlon boxes for rendering is very close to done deal by the way.......

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can't go wrong with that Leonis. I'm checking out the Asus Dual Athlon MB (A7M266-D)myself.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    errr... that setup is impossible - if you put an new iMac like that on top of a power amp, you'll kill the machine.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, you added those second 2 pics after I posted...

Nice work, those wolves look really great! People like you make me feel like I don't even need a computer...

You will have to give that poor G4 of yours a holiday soon.