Does the superdrive burn Mini-CDs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know it reads them, but will it burn those funky mini-cds?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    it reads them?

I doubt it burns them, isun't that half the point of mini-discs(copy protection)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    he means the mini cds... not the Sony MiniDisc.

Yes, I would believe that any tray loading CDR/DVDR should be able to burn onto the mini cdrs.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I see Apple had the good sense to move back to trays. I hate slots. Those mini CD single sized discs have even started to pop up on driver discs, err... Imagine them getting stuck ughh... Now if only they could put a tray on the TiBook!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I see Apple had the good sense to move back to trays. I hate slots. Those mini CD single sized discs have even started to pop up on driver discs, err... Imagine them getting stuck ughh... Now if only they could put a tray on the TiBook!</strong><hr></blockquote>

They are standard CDs and they work in all CD drives.

From Apple's TIL:

Standard size and shape discs:

The 77 mm and 120 mm round discs are the only size and shape that work with slot loading or slotted tray CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives. See Figures 1 and 2.

<a href="http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58641"; target="_blank">http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58641</a>;
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I don't believe there are any 3" CD-R's available yet.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I have a 100 pack of mini 3" CD-R's. They hold around 30 MB if I'm correct... it might be 50...

You can pick up all sorts of shapes from <a href="http://www.sculptedcd.com"; target="_blank">SculptedCD</a>.

As for the Burning issue, the Powermacs, new LCD iMacs and iBooks can burn these suckers as easily as they can any other CD-R.

They come in ALL sorts of shapes and can even be custom shaped to fit a logo or something similar.

Have Fun

Mac Guru

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Can you get DVD-R's in that size? It would be nice to burn GameCube games
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Can you get DVD-R's in that size? It would be nice to burn GameCube games </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll burn you!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Can you get DVD-R's in that size? It would be nice to burn GameCube games </strong><hr></blockquote>

The GameCube spins discs in the reverse direction as computers and conventional CD/DVD writers/players.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Someone will find someway to hack the gamecube games, but until blank Mini-DVD's are avalable this will not happen. Those sculped CDs are awesome!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I am also glad the new iMac's have gone back to trays over slots. Those business card CD's have started to get real popular just recently & if you put one in the old iMac, it required dissembly of the computer & CD drive to get it back out. It was just another reason not to get a iMac.