Frightening thought: AOL/TW buys Apple...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Read all about it here. <a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/527624.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.msnbc.com/news/527624.asp</a>;

I nearly swallowed my toungue in shock. This is not something that is in the works, but the mere fact that somone would call this a good thing nearly gave me a stroke!!!

A taste of the article:

[quote]And under AOL, the iMac could be sold as a loss leader ? that is, sold for an initial loss, knowing the company will make up the revenue in spades with future services. Knock $400 off the price of an iMac and you have a $300 media center. Suddenly, Apple?s market share would skyrocket.<hr></blockquote>

Thus turning one of the best consumer machines into a joke.

Anyone else think this guy needs a reality check?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    This is a really OLD article.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>This is a really OLD article.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh! I did not even notice that! Feb 2, 01. Funny, it was listed on my stock quote page as current. They must have brought it back out in response to the new iMac. I still think it is a frightening thought....
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yeah, but imagine if AOL and Apple could team up to do something like this. :eek:
  • Reply 4 of 10
    As long as present management is at the helm, this will never happen. AOL/TW is having enough problems with the weight of their various companies. Internet articles are written by, mostly, writers who couldn't get legit jobs at newspapers and magazines... John C. comes to mind as does David Coursey.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I don't see it happening anytime soon, but did anybody else notice that AOL is again shipping on new iMacs? I'd thought Apple took AOL off when they went to Earthlink.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Earthlink was on the first Biondi iMacs as was AOL. I think what happened is that AOL had not updated their Mac software for a while and Apple had dropped them for several months. My new iBook came with AOL.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Isn't it unbelievable that Apple was the company that launched them? How quickly they forget.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I remember when I read that article last year. I got sick after reading it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I remember when I read that article last year. I got sick after reading it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can understand why. Imagine my relief at finding out how old that article really was...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>

I can understand why. Imagine my relief at finding out how old that article really was... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I could really imagine that.