Nike opens NikeFuel activity platform to third parties, adds San Francisco dev lab

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Nike on Thursday announced plans to allow fitness app developers to funnel users' activity into its NikeFuel measurement system -- in hopes of creating a universal standard for activity tracking across platforms - and backed the initiative with a new San Francisco-based development laboratory.

Nike has already struck partnerships with popular third-party options including weight loss app MyFitnessPal, running companion RunKeeper, and running and cycling app Strava. Users will be able to track sit-ups in MyFitnessPal and jogging sessions in RunKeeper, for instance, and see aggregate results represented as NikeFuel points, rather than trying to compare between different measurement systems.

"We are excited about evolving NikeFuel to deliver richer experiences that make it easier for all athletes to reach their potential," Nike digital sport executive Stefan Olander said in a release. "The demand for simpler data-powered experiences is soaring, and all-day sensing is more available on mobile and wearable devices than ever before. Nike is committed to broadening the use of NikeFuel through collaborations with industry leaders to create smarter products and services."

NikeFuel is derived from proprietary algorithms that combine data from motion sensors with known oxygen consumption patterns. Nike designed the system, they say, to scale to any activity level from household chores to running marathons.

Partners will be able to work alongside Nike to integrate NikeFuel at the new Nike+ Fuel Lab, a dedicated development center in San Francisco. The lab, which grew out of the Nike+ Accelerator program, provides workspaces as well as an actual fitness center to serve as a testing and refinement area for new applications.

Nike has a long history of collaboration with Apple on fitness efforts, and it is possible that the two might continue their partnership in Apple's so-called "iWatch." The still-unannounced device is widely expected to feature a focus on fitness, with a wide array of biometric sensors on board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    [quote]NikeFuel is derived from proprietary algorithms that combine data from motion sensors with known oxygen consumption patterns. Nike designed the system, they say, to scale to any activity level from household chores to running marathons.[/quote]

While I own a Nike fuel band, and I do enjoy it to a degree, I find this comment to be just a bunch of marketing.

In my opinion, I feel that their "proprietary algorithm" solely relies upon accelerometers, motion sensors, and possibly GPS distance shared from the iPhone and the M7 chip.

This feels like they're just trying to perpetuate this idea that it knows what you're doing and how hard you're working.

And Breathing? Can someone explain how it incorporates breathing rhythms through this piece of technology

I don't get the impression from using it through various exercises and chores that it adjusts or changes very much in how it awards fuel points.

Very simply put… The speed in which you shake it, the distance you may go, and length in time you are using it through constant motion dictates the amount of points you get and how fast you get them.

It doesn't have a sensor on it that can read and understand your heartbeat or your breathing rhythms.

So how can it know exactly hard you're working other than how hard, fast, and long you are shaking it??

That's what she said.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Agree with stephanjobs. I have one, and although I like it, I like the premise, look forward to it's maturity (as with other products in this space) it can't possibly be that intelligent. I wore it driving about 2000 km's, and every day I was overachieving my workout goals, when in fact I was sitting at the wheel for 12 hours a day.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dslegends wrote: »
    Agree with stephanjobs. I have one, and although I like it, I like the premise, look forward to it's maturity (as with other products in this space) it can't possibly be that intelligent. I wore it driving about 2000 km's, and every day I was overachieving my workout goals, when in fact I was sitting at the wheel for 12 hours a day.

Exactly! I have the new one as well and it doesn't seem that much more accurate.

With all that said… A lot of people Are against smart watches.

I for one think that they're great idea. We are all accustomed to wearing watches… At least those of us in our 30s or mid to late 20s, so the idea of real estate on our wrist that we are comfortable using makes sense to me.

I just hope Apple comes up with something compelling and very well thought out.

Ultimately the Nike fuel band looks good and feels comfortable, but falls short and certain feature aspects.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Exactly! I have the new one as well and it doesn't seem that much more accurate.

With all that said… A lot of people Are against smart watches.

I for one think that they're great idea. We are all accustomed to wearing watches… At least those of us in our 30s or mid to late 20s, so the idea of real estate on our wrist that we are comfortable using makes sense to me.

I just hope Apple comes up with something compelling and very well thought out.

Ultimately the Nike fuel band looks good and feels comfortable, but falls short and certain feature aspects.

If anyone can get the masses to change a behaviour it's Apple.  Go back to pre-iphone, every smart phone had a keyboard, it was unconscionable that a smartphone would be keyboard-less, and fast forward to see we have a global market that has learned to adapt and in fact popularize that (and other) innovations.  

People will adjust when the value prop. is sufficiently compelling.  Even if Apple miss-steps in the early days I could care less, they are one of the few (if their are any) companies that will continue to re-fine/work/design as their concept/product matures.  I'll hitch my wagon, I for one believe that Apple cares greatly about the engineering of a thing, that design is about HOW something works not just the appearance.