Apple hires CEO of brand consultant Wolff Olins in marketing push

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
It was reported on Friday that Wolff Olins Global CEO Karl Heiselman has been hired away by Apple and will start working in a new marketing communications position at the Cupertino, Calif. company in May.

Heiselman, who previously worked for Apple as a contract designer in the 1990s before Steve Jobs' return, told Ad Age he is leaving Wolff Olins after 14 years for "an exciting new role" at Apple. Half of his tenure at the branding agency was spent as CEO.

In a 2009 interview with The Guardian, Heiselman said Apple at times felt "a little too cool for its own good. I think it might be in danger of becoming too cool, maybe not too cool, but too slick."

News of the hire comes a few days after Apple v. Samsung court documents revealed mounting tension between Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller and the company's go-to ad agency TBWA/Media Arts Lab. At the time, Schiller was concerned that Samsung's marketing blitz was causing damage to Apple's image.

Those worries may have been an impetus for change, as a report from September said Apple was planning to expand in-house marketing operations from the current 300 staffers to 500 or 600 people. To that end, Apple has made a few key hires in the advertising and marketing department, including former New York Times Magazine's design director Arem Duplessis in December.

It is unknown what responsibilities Heiselman will be given within Apple's marketing machine, but his experience in branding will likely be put to good use as some say Apple is going through a transitionary period as the company looks to define itself after the death of visionary cofounder Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a 2009 interview with The Guardian, Heiselman said Apple at times felt "a little too cool for its own good. I think it might be in danger of becoming too cool, maybe not too cool, but too slick."

Well, we know now that Apple is legally cool in the United Kingdom (and, if that’s how the Commonwealth works, by extension the Commonwealth).

And I’ve never had my naked iPhone or iPad fall from my hand, so they probably didn’t get too slick.

• Reply 2 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"Consualtant"... is this a "casual consultant"?

• Reply 3 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Good. Hopefully Apple will fight back against Sammy and Amazon's deceptive ads.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Apple is stockpiling CEOs.  First the awesome Burberry woman and now this guy.  Hopefully they know exactly what they are getting into and all the egos can play well together.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    The too cool/too slick comment.. I think I know what he's talking about. It's a fine line, we need people like him who know the difference.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd like to here him elaborate on the too slick comment.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apple is stockpiling CEOs.  First the awesome Burberry woman and now this guy.  Hopefully they know exactly what they are getting into and all the egos can play well together.

An executive that won't defend their ideas is no use. Steve Jobs had a powerful ego and a lot of ideas, some good and some bad. He didn't tie his ego to his ideas and listened and would agree to other's ideas counter to his own.

• Reply 8 of 25

Cool.

• Reply 9 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope Apple doesn't go the way of Samsung and start whoring themselves out to every sporting event, awards ceremony, etc. And no negative advertising please. Leave the gutter to Samsung and Microsoft.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Great, bring in someone whose attitude is that Apple is too cool for school. That'll help.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    All

Apple should increase its advertising and marketing - a good product sells best by both a positive experience and public exposure
  • Reply 12 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    BTW, can anyone tell me why when MacBooks are used as props on TV why sometimes they put a sticker over the Apple logo? It's obvious what it is. Did Apple decline to pay for product placement? Are they afraid of being sued by Apple for some reason?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    BTW, can anyone tell me why when MacBooks are used as props on TV why sometimes they put a sticker over the Apple logo? It's obvious what it is. Did Apple decline to pay for product placement? Are they afraid of being sued by Apple for some reason?

If companies don't pay for product placement, TV shows can cover the logos. No such thing as free advertising and official sponsors could be competitors.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I read this today, it's amazing!

http://gamechangers.wolffolins.com/
  • Reply 15 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Yes I think Apples ads are too cool. Fine if you are a tiny minority player attracting hipsters but not at 50% of the American market. Have an ad with some hard hats using am iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    ireland wrote: »
    I read this today, it's amazing!

http://gamechangers.wolffolins.com/

Great find and an excellent read. Thanks!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If companies don't pay for product placement, TV shows can cover the logos. No such thing as free advertising and official sponsors could be competitors.

Talking of which ... Watching the two seasons of Netflix's House of Cards recently, I loved how Macs are always seen used by the powerful (if sometimes evil) go getters. When they portray some low life, in a darkly lit scene they have a Dell.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Talking of which ... Watching the two seasons of Netflix's House of Cards recently, I loved how Macs are always seen used by the powerful (if sometimes evil) go getters. When they portray some low life, in a darkly lit scene they have a Dell.

That might be a subtle David Fincher jab at non-Apple computers.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Another good hire! Seems Cook wants to delegate responsibility, responsibly, since he's putting a team in place to fill Steve Job's shoes. Apple's anemic offerings and off note advertising since Steve's demise are the very areas Steve mastered.

Independent outside talent like Heiselman and Angela Ahrendts will disrupt Apple, which it sorely needs! Although I've criticized Tim Cook I give him credit for identifying Apple's shortcomings and hiring the right talent to remedy it.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What else can they do? Product placement is product placement.