HELP!!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2014
I'm so sorry jump in here, but I can't find a way to start a thread any were, as u guess I'm not very techy I have been given an iPhone 3G , and can't down load any apps. Says I have to upgrade, I found several items on the internet about Apple offering now offering the ability to down load older apps that are compatible with this fone . However I can't find a link ANY WERE , I'm at the point of throwing said phone through nearest window, I have spent literally hours trying to find a solution, please please help me is this feature still available??? Fingers,eyes,toes , arms, legs crossed , Lizzie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Well it won't run iOS 7. It seems like iOS 3 was the last to offer strong performance on that model. Wiki suggests that iOS 4 caused problems with it. I don't know if you'll still be able to access the app store with that. Hopefully someone like Marvin will chime in.

• Reply 2 of 15
    lizzielizzie Posts: 4member
    Thank you for your reply, however I don't really understand what you said. I am , afraid , I am a complete and utter ignoramus when it comes to anything remotely technical :no:
  • Reply 3 of 15
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I would go to an Apple store and ask them to help you about your problem.I am sure they will .

• Reply 4 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    hmm wrote: »
    Hopefully someone like Marvin will chime in.

Someone like me or me?

Apple discontinues support for older phones like the 3G and eventually the apps stop being compatible. That's why used models are as low as $25 on eBay.

The 3G is pretty much obsolete being stuck with iOS version 4. The minimum for a good iPhone experience is the 3GS and that can be bought for under $50. Even the iPhone 4 is under $100.

My recommendation with the 3G is to use it as a basic phone, throw it away or sell it on eBay for $25 and put $25 towards a 3GS.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Someone like me or me?

I meant you're usually knowledgeable on these things, and you read this part of the site:D.

Quote:

Apple discontinues support for older phones like the 3G and eventually the apps stop being compatible. That's why used models are as low as $25 on eBay.

The 3G is pretty much obsolete being stuck with iOS version 4. The minimum for a good iPhone experience is the 3GS and that can be bought for under $50. Even the iPhone 4 is under $100.

My recommendation with the 3G is to use it as a basic phone, throw it away or sell it on eBay for $25 and put $25 towards a 3GS.

Yeah I didn't know if there was any way to access any part of the app site at this point. I wouldn't suggest anyone place it in the garbage. Apple takes things back for recycling. If it's useless the OP should see if their carrier takes it as a tradein.

• Reply 6 of 15

I agree with you. Marvin you are wrong about this one.

• Reply 7 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    marvfox wrote: »
    I agree with you. Marvin you are wrong about this one.

I think the 3G is a slow phone - it doesn't even support multitasking - and with iOS 4, only suitable for use as a basic phone. It's why it sells for $25 and why people give them away.

http://www.cocoanetics.com/2012/08/softly-killing-iphone-3g/

The 3GS is inexpensive now, there's no reason to use a 3G or earlier if you want a full iPhone experience. The 3G is fine as a basic phone but people shouldn't expect more than that.

I've used both and the difference between the 3G and 3GS is night and day. The 3G with iOS 4 freezes up, animations are sluggish but the 3GS runs iOS 6 smoothly. The iPhone 4 is one step better as it supports iOS 7 so even broader compatibility.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 3GS is inexpensive now, there's no reason to use a 3G or earlier if you want a full iPhone experience. The 3G is fine as a basic phone but people shouldn’t expect more than that. I've used both and the difference between the 3G and 3GS is night and day. The 3G with iOS 4 freezes up, animations are sluggish but the 3GS runs iOS 6 smoothly. The iPhone 4 is one step better as it supports iOS 7 so even broader compatibility.

You’re dead right about this, but if the guy’s set on using a pathetically outdated phone, he could always install Whited00r like me to get newer features! I have multitasking, video recording, all the modern preinstalled apps, and quite a bit more.

Yes, it’s going to crash a lot. Yes, you’ll RAM out (wait, the 3G had double the first-gen, right? Maybe not, then), but it’s the newer stuff.

No iCloud, though, unless you input the server manually.

• Reply 9 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ... but if the guy’s set on..

I think Lizzie is a she.
    8-)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think Lizzie is a she.

Well, I don’t think there’s an app for that.

Apologies, miss.

• Reply 11 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    lizzie wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, however I don't really understand what you said. I am , afraid , I am a complete and utter ignoramus when it comes to anything remotely technical :no:

You will need to register at Apple.com to access the App Store where they sell...wait for it...apps for your iPhone. Though it isn't available in every country. There should still be apps available for your model:

http://www.appannie.com/search/?q=iphone+3g+&vertical=apps&market=ios

But like Marvin wrote, the model you have is (6 years) old, and it will make more sense to get a newer model, should you want to delve into the iPhone App world.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Thanks for the help thus far guys, ( apologies if you aren't guys) With your help and advice I have gotten as far as having an Apple a account:D AND I have found the old apps, gosh I'm clever, (sarcasm)
    However, when I'm trying to down load an app it says safari cant open the page as the address does not exist:rolleyes:, ........ you know what's coming next........ HELP!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Yes indeed I am :) I dnt want to go out spending money on a new fone if I can't cope with the modernism of such a thing as technology, if however I like it , I shall indeed go out and buy a brand spanking new fone :)
  • Reply 14 of 15

I think if money is a problem you can think about buying the 3GS i phone.

• Reply 15 of 15

First, welcome to iOS world!

I don't think throw it or sell it is a good way to go. Just keep it and buy a new one at http://www.apple.com

If you would like to enjoy amazing apps in App Store, buy a new iPhone! I think the only thing you can do with 3G could be unlock the phone and make a call/send a sms.