Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a new commercial for its flagship iPhone 5s, showing off the handset's digital media creation capabilities through a slew of music, movie making, translation and exploration apps.

Source: Apple via YouTube

The minute-and-a-half spot, posted to Apple's YouTube page, marks a return to ads in which the iPhone is front-and-center in almost every scene.

Set to the song "Gigantic" by the Pixies, the spot begins with a musician plugging his electric guitar into an iPhone 5s through what looks to be an iRig setup running the AmpliTube app.

From there, the commercial cuts between snippets of other music makers as they prepare their respective iPhones in a type of pre-show tune-up. Thirty seconds into the ad, the band is playing, with guitar, bass, drums, synth and vocals all being recorded, generated or aided by the iPhone 5s.

With the song playing in the background, the clip moves through a series of cutscenes showing 5s users making home movies, controlling stage lighting at a theater, playing games and even launching model rockets via remote control.

The video ends with a teacher projecting an astronomy app on what looks to be the ceiling of a classroom. The ad's tagline, "You're more powerful than you think," flashes onscreen for a brief moment before the white Apple logo closes out the commercial.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Now that was one of the coolest commercials in a LONG time.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

A supercomputer that happens to be a mobile phone. :-)

• Reply 3 of 99
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    and all samsung can do is make a commercial that pokes fun of people standing in line waiting for the newest near supercomputer.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    Apple just also showed if you didn't really know that it has showed it can check your heart rate which pretty much says it had it long before Samsung did , it was capable of doing that , so samsung copied once again
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

and all samsung can do is make a commercial that pokes fun of people standing in line waiting for the newest near supercomputer.

Did you know there's a way to praise Apple without bashing other companies? 

• Reply 6 of 99
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Quote:

Same question to Android fans?

• Reply 7 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Same question to Android fans?

There is not one Android article I can read without seeing someone claim how inferior Apple is.

• Reply 8 of 99
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Apple's best commercials don't need any (or much) text or talk to convey the message. Well done.

And anything with the Pixies makes it better.

• Reply 9 of 99
    Now if I could just get a tube iphone.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Beautiful ad. Most of these apps are either unavailable or impossible on an Android device. Shows the iPhone being used for really atypical and incredible use cases. 

• Reply 11 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Quote:

I hope you agree that this commercial accomplished that goal.

• Reply 12 of 99
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    That was was a great ad.

Also I love the heart rate shot. Laying the groundwork for healthbook.

Only question for me was... What was the rocket launching app??? How would that work?
  • Reply 13 of 99

It also possible to spend advertising on your smartphone and yet never say anything positive about your smartphone.

• Reply 14 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I have a lot of music apps, so i liked that ad!

I can't imagine anybody who calls themselves a musician ever using Android for any musical purposes. They would either have to be one of those paid liars by Samsung, either that or a complete imbecile. I've mentioned this before, but music creation is just terrible on Android. 

If you are a Fandroid and you're thinking of replying to this post, then don't even bother because I will save you the trouble. Music creation on Android was terrible years ago and it remains terrible to this day. I'm not interested in hearing any more pathetic excuses or lies. I am interested in reality. 

Back to the ad, I liked how the ad begins with music apps then goes on to show a whole bunch of other creative apps and uses. It's one of the best Apple ads that I've seen in a while.

Just face it. Apple and iOS is for talented and creative people. Android is mostly for untalented people who lack creativity and for people who suffer from dulled senses, or maybe they're just on heavy drugs. It's also for people who don't have much money and for people who live in the third world. Hardly cutting edge, if you ask me.

• Reply 15 of 99
    Such a terrific ad. The scene with the dad making a Godzilla movie with his kid was particularly creative and touching.

As an aside, can we please stop responding to the troll "Brandon Powell?"
  • Reply 16 of 99
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just face it. Apple and iOS is for talented and creative people. Android is mostly for untalented people who lack creativity and for people who suffer from dulled senses, or maybe they're just on heavy drugs. It's also for people who don't have much money and for people who live in the third world. Hardly cutting edge, if you ask me.

Glad you put that "mostly" in there.

As for the ad, it was very typical of Apple's style. I didn't really notice anything special about it. It was interesting how they threw in the heart-rate monitor as a dish to Samsung, but it'll be fun to see how those who decried a heart-rate monitor as useless will react to this.

• Reply 17 of 99

Can the iPhone read heart rate with a specialized app?  I really thought the Galaxy S5 was the only smartphone capable of that.

• Reply 18 of 99
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

I like the ad, but not the song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can't imagine anybody who calls themselves a musician ever using Android for any musical purposes. They would either have to be one of those paid liars by Samsung, either that or a complete imbecile. I've mentioned this before, but music creation is just terrible on Android. 

If you are a Fandroid and you're thinking of replying to this post, then don't even bother because I will save you the trouble. Music creation on Android was terrible years ago and it remains terrible to this day. I'm not interested in hearing any more pathetic excuses or lies. I am interested in reality. 

Hey, why all the hatred? Apple users don't have to do this. We know we are much better than that... Get our stuff done, and laugh at how insecure Android/Windows users feel. Just have a good laugh out of it...

• Reply 19 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

It was interesting how they threw in the heart-rate monitor as a dish to Samsung, but it'll be fun to see how those who decried a heart-rate monitor as useless will react to this.

I haven't mentioned anything about any heart rate monitor yet, but I'll give my 2 cents now.

It's not always about what features a phone has, but how they work is also important. Take Touch ID and compare it Samsung's version. Touch ID is miles ahead of Samsung's version.

I do know this. If Apple is going to be releasing their health app soon, then I'm pretty damn sure that whatever features Apple will include in their new phone will be way better than whatever Samsung has. They will work better, they will be more reliable and they will be easier to use.  So I don't have anything against a heart rate monitor in the next iPhone, if that were to happen, because I know it won't be a gimmick. 

• Reply 20 of 99
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Can the iPhone read heart rate with a specialized app?  I really thought the Galaxy S5 was the only smartphone capable of that.

I don't remember the exact name, but there's an app that does the job. When your heart beats faster, a large quantity of red blood cells is careening through the nerves and arteries, making the blood 'redder'. Using the flash (to cause the blood to reflect an ample amount of light), and the camera (to measure the red-ness), the app takes a very close estimate of your heart-beat rate.