No Steve, No Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My Question is this, if for some reason Steve left Apple today as it stands(the reason is not important), would Apple survive?

Has Apple become more then the vision of one man?

Personally I feel that the success of apple is still very much intertwined with the vision of Mr.Jobs, just look at what happened when he got fired from apple, the company took a turn for the worse, it all but died and then when he created the imac and the company was reborn. If steve left right now would history repeat if self? Or has the company gone beyond him. Could someone else lead apple with the same sucess?

I am just wondering if other people share this feeling or whether people believe that apple has become more then Steve Jobs, that Apple could function with out him.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think Jobs is solely responsible for the resurgance of Apple. I see Jobs as the savior of Apple but this is not to say that without him Apple would die. If this was the case then what kind of future does Apple have? Steve is a major force or THE inspiration for Apple employees, Steve needs to stay at the helm for about 10 more years and then I would say Apple could be handed over. I hope Jobs stays as long as his health permits him to, if for no other reason than the sheer drama involved.

Apple can and will survive without Jobs but without Jobs Apple may not be as lucrative.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I agree that for good or bad (and it's both at times) Apple needs Steve. The main problem with Steve is that he's not always pragmatic. If somebody took over that person would have to care about Apple as much as he does and have the same, or a better, vision for Apple's future. You don't want the same bad CEOs Apple had between Steve. The two main problems with Apple are Moto and lack of good advertising, which are things Steve can deal with as well as anybody.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I dunno. I think that Ive's is almost as important as Jobs right now. Apple has been defined by Jobs' vision, but Ive's is really the realization of that vision. He cad dream all he wants, but someone's got to translate the dream into reality and that what Ive's does. I don't think that Apple would be as successful without either one, but if Jobs were to leave, I think that Ive's could take over the vision (maybe not the company).

edit: fixed Ive's name...

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]torifile:

Apple has been defined by Jobs' vision, but Ives is really the realization of that vision. <hr></blockquote>

I think this is very true. The vision of the imacII being a flower was steves, but it took Ive's to put it into form.

Ives from a creative point of view could do just as well as Jobs, but I think he would lack in the Marketing of the product.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Ives is amazing but Jon Rubinstein and his crew did an equally amazing job fitting so much in the form factor Ives came up with.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>I dunno. I think that Ive's is almost as important as Jobs right now. Apple has been defined by Jobs' vision, but Ive's is really the realization of that vision. He cad dream all he wants, but someone's got to translate the dream into reality and that what Ive's does. I don't think that Apple would be as successful without either one, but if Jobs were to leave, I think that Ive's could take over the vision (maybe not the company).

edit: fixed Ive's name...

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

They work together seamlessly like the iPod and iTunes. Jobs is very important to Apple irght now. Apple is just starting to go into their own and they need a leader now more than ever. Jobs needs to keep pushing Apple into the future, even if Ive's is the one who gets pushed.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Apple could survive without Steve. It wouldn't be the same utterly insane company people love, but it would still make good products, as long as he wasn't replaced with someone unable to manage a company.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    What about that Avie dude or Phil the Quicktime guy?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Anyone but Phil!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I wish someone would fire Jobs or he would leave...

I can recommend a new person to take his place...

Me...

iTablet anyone?...

If you say no... I will chuck a camera at you in memory of steve...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

------------------------------------

• Reply 11 of 11
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    They should fire steve and hire me!

My first job would be to buy MOTO and fire everyone in it. then we could replace them with hamsters or other suitably more able rodents

My second job would be to desperately get on the phone and beg steve to come back